New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Question about OM-1 AF

ajamils
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about OM-1 AF

Received my OM-1 yesterday and been trying to relearn the system as it's be few years since I owned a m4/3 camera. One of the thing that I am unable to understand is how the AF works.

- I have setup for Eye-AF, C-AF, All points: I see one large white box and then a smaller eye-AF box but as soon as I press the shutter button, I get a beep as if it's in single focus. Yet the green AF points keep jumping all over instead of sticking to the eye.

When I remove AF from shutter and only use AF-ON, it does not seem to pick the eye.

Coming from A1, I was expecting that when it picks an eye and I have AF button depressed, it should just lock there and continue to focus instead of just beeping once and then jumping all over.

Mar 15, 2022 at 04:49 PM
fadeslayer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about OM-1 AF

Do you have burst or single shot?

Mar 15, 2022 at 05:30 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about OM-1 AF

Single shot.

fadeslayer wrote:
Do you have burst or single shot?

Mar 15, 2022 at 05:34 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about OM-1 AF

I haven’t shot anything but birds yet with my OM1. I use CAF, SH2, all focus points with bird detection.

This is what I get:
- initial AF acquisition, large white box on the bird, small white box on the head, quick green box on the head
- then the green box disappears and doesn’t return until I refocus, but even then it doesn’t always come back (I think)
- the large white box generally stays on target, while the small white box may start moving depending how well the system recognizes the birds head/eye

I’ve been wondering myself why the green box disappears and whether it means the camera lost critical focus, but I think it’s just how it works: green on initial AF acquisition, white thereafter.

Not sure about that, though.

Mar 16, 2022 at 06:22 PM
Pwdrhound

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about OM-1 AF

If you go to menu for AF, 2 AF, AF Area Pointer. You can choose between off, ON1, ON2. This changes the behavior. In ON2 you will see all the all of the green focus points being pulsed (in CAF) in the AF area selected. In SAF it will show the single point confirmed or multiple points confirmed.

This might be what you are looking for.

Mar 16, 2022 at 07:07 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.