FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11       end

Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

jc75
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

Well for those of us in the US, looks like BH has updated the estimated shipping date and it's moved up 1 week from June 24th to June 17th now.

Hoping I made it in the first batch.

May 30, 2022 at 12:19 PM
patriot
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

jc75 wrote:
Well for those of us in the US, looks like BH has updated the estimated shipping date and it's moved up 1 week from June 24th to June 17th now.

Hoping I madeysin the first batch.

Any ideas what "first batch" might be? i.e ordered in the first few hours, or days, or week? probably no way of guess... unless the recent new GM's offer a clue on that. i put an order in at Adorama the first morning.

May 30, 2022 at 12:40 PM
jc75
• •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

patriot wrote:
Any ideas what "first batch" might be? i.e ordered in the first few hours, or days, or week? probably no way of guess... unless the recent new GM's offer a clue on that. i put an order in at Adorama the first morning.

No idea I put my order in with B&H at 3 minutes after it went on pre-order.

May 30, 2022 at 01:08 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

B&H is currently shipping Nikon z9 bodies, ordered on Oct 30th. If that is any indication ...

jc75 wrote:

May 31, 2022 at 04:17 AM
MrPhil

p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

Mine arrived this morning - shipped by Wex in the UK

May 31, 2022 at 06:50 AM
patriot
• •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

jc75 wrote:

Hmmm.... that means if you don't get yours in the first batch ,,, and I ordered a few hours later ,... Merry X-mass!

May 31, 2022 at 07:58 AM
Petegh
• •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

Marc has just published his review: https://sonyalpha.blog/2022/05/31/sony-24-70mm-f2-8-gm-ii/

My only (slight) dissapointment, is the performance at 24mm at f8 and f11. Still, considering all the variables Sony has managed to balance here, I agree with Marc: 'a new masterpiece'

Jun 01, 2022 at 07:10 AM
KarmaKramer
• • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

Good God B&H?
Nevermind the wait,when it does arrive it might show up in a KFC bag with napkins!

patriot wrote:
Hmmm.... that means if you don't get yours in the first batch ,,, and I ordered a few hours later ,... Merry X-mass!

Jun 01, 2022 at 11:04 AM
KarmaKramer
• • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

An excellent lens I’m sure. But wouldn’t it be better to get reviews from people who aren’t Sony ambassadors…? It’s like Freddie Levi reviewing Levi’s jeans.

Petegh wrote:
Marc has just published his review: https://sonyalpha.blog/2022/05/31/sony-24-70mm-f2-8-gm-ii/

My only (slight) dissapointment, is the performance at 24mm at f8 and f11. Still, considering all the variables Sony has managed to balance here, I agree with Marc: 'a new masterpiece'

Jun 02, 2022 at 07:55 AM
tschopp
• •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

KarmaKramer wrote:
An excellent lens I’m sure. But wouldn’t it be better to get reviews from people who aren’t Sony ambassadors…? It’s like Freddie Levi reviewing Levi’s jeans.

Marc seems pretty unbiased in his reviews. In his lenses for a1 recommendations he had the sigma 24-70 over the original GM. He rated the new GM 4 stars out of 5 on sharpness. So it doesn't seem to be in the same class as the 70-200 Gm II. He did say it was better than the sigma, that he also rated at 4 stars.

But yes I would like to hear from independent people. To some extent all reviewers have some bias and may tend to give positive reviews to continue to get early samples. I like Dustin Abbot for an independent review.

Jun 02, 2022 at 11:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matti6950
• •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

So far from looking at a few full res 61 megapixel files (and knowing my own Sigma 24-70mm with same resolution), it seems the GM has a tiny bit more contrast, punch between contrasty zones then the Sigma, but for the rest they are pretty even in sharpness.

Need more research ofc. For now 24mm (my most used focal length) is a little dissapointing. (The weakest focal length of the new gmaster, probably not as bad in real life but more on test charts. If it's better at infinity then close up (24mm), then i'm fine with it.

Jun 03, 2022 at 05:56 AM
KarmaKramer
• • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

I like reviews from photographers who offer reasons to upgrade or not upgrade. Of course the newest is “better”, I don’t need the sales pitch. Is it worth spending so much on it or stick with the latest Sigma. I’m a rare photographer who wants to actually make money not piss what I’ve earned away on new shiny (but unnesessary) toys lol
So far,all that jumps out to me is the autofocus ability in tracking and low light. Sigma misses on occasion (but not always,I still get the shot), and the size isn’t a problem. Worth 3 grand…?? Leaning no….at the moment anyway.

tschopp wrote:
Marc seems pretty unbiased in his reviews. In his lenses for a1 recommendations he had the sigma 24-70 over the original GM. He rated the new GM 4 stars out of 5 on sharpness. So it doesn't seem to be in the same class as the 70-200 Gm II. He did say it was better than the sigma, that he also rated at 4 stars.

But yes I would like to hear from independent people. To some extent all reviewers have some bias and may tend to give positive reviews to continue to get early samples. I like Dustin Abbot for
...Show more

Jun 03, 2022 at 10:03 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

KarmaKramer wrote:
I like reviews from photographers who offer reasons to upgrade or not upgrade. Of course the newest is “better”, I don’t need the sales pitch. Is it worth spending so much on it or stick with the latest Sigma. I’m a rare photographer who wants to actually make money not piss what I’ve earned away on new shiny (but unnesessary) toys lol
So far,all that jumps out to me is the autofocus ability in tracking and low light. Sigma misses on occasion (but not always,I still get the shot), and the size isn’t a problem. Worth 3 grand…?? Leaning no….at the
...Show more

Whether the difference is worth a certain amount of money, will depend on his/her individual opinion. Unlike in audiophile world, where most of the difference depends more on imagination what you want to hear, the difference in optical performance is more tangible here .

Jun 03, 2022 at 10:46 AM
KarmaKramer
• • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

Perhaps. But when finances are an issue, I’d like people to at least see the difference such an expense would make “Oh these photos are way better!”
Frankly,I don’t think any of my clients would notice. How many of them print and critique their photos to spot the sharpness difference? After editing,even the rendering and bokeh would have to be pointed out. Of course,as always,it comes down to wanting or not wanting it. I know it’ll be fantastic, but who’ll notice other than me….?

AGeoJO wrote:
Whether the difference is worth a certain amount of money, will depend on his/her individual opinion. Unlike in audiophile world, where most of the difference depends more on imagination what you want to hear, the difference in optical performance is more tangible here .

Jun 03, 2022 at 11:11 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

KarmaKramer wrote:
Perhaps. But when finances are an issue, I’d like people to at least see the difference such an expense would make “Oh these photos are way better!”
Frankly,I don’t think any of my clients would notice. How many of them print and critique their photos to spot the sharpness difference? After editing,even the rendering and bokeh would have to be pointed out. Of course,as always,it comes down to wanting or not wanting it. I know it’ll be fantastic, but who’ll notice other than me….?

No argument there; I am not much of a lens tester, if at all and I rely mostly on real-life images to make up my mind. Frankly, I am going for the II version of this lens is mostly for its lighter weight and more compact size. I seriously doubt that the IQ in real-life images taken with the new II lens would be any different than those taken with the Sigma DG DN. To go further, even those taken with the classic GM 24-70mm are probably indistinguishable, too. Again, real-life images are one thing but carefully done test images may reveal more of a difference there. But who cares about those…

Jun 03, 2022 at 11:25 AM
mudlake
• • • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

Would I like this new lens? Of course!

Do I need it? Of course not!

My Sigma is so good that for the pictures I take the very very slight improvements in the new GM would make zero difference. The extra 130 grams of the Sigma isn’t enough to worry about and spend more than double on the new GM. But if money were not an issue, of course I’d get the new lens!🙂

Jun 03, 2022 at 01:56 PM
KarmaKramer
• • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

I don’t test either,exhaustive journey that.
I had the 1st version of the 24-70 GM for 1 wedding. It was HUGE especially with a flash locked in, I returned it. BUT the images were noticeably different to me,better,much nicer skin tones and general…something. It had something, a natural depth or richness maybe. Plus the AF was crazy good at a dark dance. So,no doubt the lighter,faster,sharper version will be great. I’m on the fence…

AGeoJO wrote:
No argument there; I am not much of a lens tester, if at all and I rely mostly on real-life images to make up my mind. Frankly, I am going for the II version of this lens is mostly for its lighter weight and more compact size. I seriously doubt that the IQ in real-life images taken with the new II lens would be any different than those taken with the Sigma DG DN. To go further, even those taken with the classic GM 24-70mm are probably indistinguishable, too. Again, real-life images are one thing but carefully done test images
...Show more

Jun 03, 2022 at 02:39 PM
Petegh
• •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

Matti6950 wrote:
So far from looking at a few full res 61 megapixel files (and knowing my own Sigma 24-70mm with same resolution), it seems the GM has a tiny bit more contrast, punch between contrasty zones then the Sigma, but for the rest they are pretty even in sharpness.

Need more research ofc. For now 24mm (my most used focal length) is a little dissapointing. (The weakest focal length of the new gmaster, probably not as bad in real life but more on test charts. If it's better at infinity then close up (24mm), then i'm fine with it.

These two unbiased? reviews, suggest the slight weakness in Marc's sample at 24mm was just sample variation:

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_fe_24_70mm_f2_8_gm_ii_review/sharpness_1

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/lenses/sony-fe-24-70mm-f2-8-gm-ii-review

Jun 04, 2022 at 04:10 AM
Stevvi
• •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

I got mine yesterday. First non-scientific test show that at F 2.8 - and in the corners - 24mm is the „weakest“ focal length, but is improving nicely up to F8. The center remains extremely sharp from F2.8 to F8. Just mind that I am on 24 MP only…

Petegh wrote:
These two unbiased? reviews, suggest the slight weakness in Marc's sample at 24mm was just sample variation:

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_fe_24_70mm_f2_8_gm_ii_review/sharpness_1

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/lenses/sony-fe-24-70mm-f2-8-gm-ii-review

Jun 05, 2022 at 09:22 AM
robert614
• • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Official: Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II

Might want to check your preorders. I just got a shipping notification from B&H.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:31 AM
       11       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password