1       2      
       end

Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

nehemiahphoto wrote:
He also mentions in his disclaimer on bottom he owned a CLE and Hexar AF. And some of his gear was once owned by a famous person, so his credibility is impeccable.

May 06, 2022 at 07:40 PM
tri_fin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

The camera looks great but for me the main issue is lenses.

I like 28,35 & 50. But what can you use with the pixii to get 28 & 35? Even a 28mm becomes a 42mm.

Cameras need lenses….

Jun 21, 2022 at 03:04 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

tri_fin wrote:
The camera looks great but for me the main issue is lenses.

I like 28,35 & 50. But what can you use with the pixii to get 28 & 35? Even a 28mm becomes a 42mm.

Cameras need lenses….

It only has frame lines for 28, 35, 40 and 50mm lenses, with no EVF.

And those are for the actual lenses - so what the 28mm lines means it is for a 28mm lens, but the frame lines would reflect the cropped 42mm view.
Basically the widest it can show in the VF is 42mm.

I guess that is the huge advantage of the Fuji Xpro3. Same APS-C, but as it has it's native lenses they are tiny and cover focal lengths that you would also use on FF. A really small 16mm (24mm equivalent) etc.
It also can use Leica M lenses of course, while the Pixii can only use M even though it is also an APS-C camera.

Yes the whole point is the Pixii has the optical RF, while the Fuji does not. I do think the Pixii is very cool. But it is so hard to make a case for it and pretty much it all boils down to the decision to use an APS-C sensor.

Jun 21, 2022 at 03:22 PM
tri_fin
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Desmolicious wrote:
Basically the widest it can show in the VF is 42mm.

That just blows my mind.

Jun 21, 2022 at 03:51 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

tri_fin wrote:
That just blows my mind.

I really like the 40mm focal length, so for me it wouldn't be an issue. And also because I have an Xpro3 and Leica M that covers what I need. But by attaching themselves to the Leica M mount, and then deciding to go with APS-C - something Leica itself dropped after the M8 for those very same issues! - just is weird.
It must have been a financial decision - being able to affordably source an FF sensor.

Jun 21, 2022 at 04:03 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

On the Pixxi 18= 27mm f3.8, so now I would only have a slow and large ‘28’ lens while before I had up to 1.4. 21 f4 = 31mm f4 25 f4 = 38mm f4. Before I had a 35mm f1.4 and a 40mm 1.2. Now the closest would be a 38mm f4 28 f1.4 = 42mm 1.4 35 f1.4 = 52mm 1.4 50 f1.4 = 75mm 1.4

I think your argument for the way this camera reduces the viability of M lenses is stronger than you made it. I would change your list to take into account the reduction in focus isolation that is apparent in using APS cameras to the following:

On the Pixxi 18= 27mm f5.2, so now I would only have a slow and large ‘28’ lens while before I had up to 1.4.
21 f4 = 31mm f5.6
25 f4 = 38mm f5.6. Before I had a 35mm f1.4 and a 40mm 1.2. Now the closest would be a 38mm f4
28 f1.4 = 42mm f2
35 f1.4 = 52mm f2
50 f1.4 = 75mm f2

The slow Voigtländer lenses become even less viable, and the fast M lenses are stranded at odd focal lengths, and slower, completely negating much of their premium value. I know this does not matter to some people, but for me it kills my interest completely. Why it was not made full frame, given the reduction in price differentials nowadays between APS-c and full frame sensors, I do not know.

Why would anyone choose this over the far more sophisticated and cheaper Fujis?

Jun 22, 2022 at 04:00 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

It seems like they couldn't have put the RF window in a worse possible place. I guess the shorter path will lead to a brighter patch in the viewfinder, but it limits the lenses you can use. I thought maybe they did it because the camera was smaller than a typical Leica M, but it's roughly the same size as the M10/11, and only a few MM thinner than a type 240. And there are plenty of black or silver 240s selling for less than the price of the Pixii.

It's cool to see a little company like this try to break Leica's hegemony of the digital RF, but it looks like its still got an iteration or two to go.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:42 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Desmolicious wrote:
I really like the 40mm focal length, so for me it wouldn't be an issue. And also because I have an Xpro3 and Leica M that covers what I need. But by attaching themselves to the Leica M mount, and then deciding to go with APS-C - something Leica itself dropped after the M8 for those very same issues! - just is weird.
It must have been a financial decision - being able to affordably source an FF sensor.

The M8 was APS-H (1.3x instead of 1.5). But, I agree, it does seem like a financial decision.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:44 PM
genji
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

freaklikeme wrote:
It's cool to see a little company like this try to break Leica's hegemony of the digital RF, but it looks like its still got an iteration or two to go.

Leica’s hegemony might yet be broken if Light Lens Lab manage to turn one or other (or both) of their Leica IIIg and M3 prototypes into actual cameras.

Jun 23, 2022 at 01:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

genji wrote:
Leica’s hegemony might yet be broken if Light Lens Lab manage to turn one or other (or both) of their Leica IIIg and M3 prototypes into actual cameras.

I hadn't seen anything about them. Are they digital prototypes?

Jun 23, 2022 at 03:09 AM
genji
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

freaklikeme wrote:
I hadn't seen anything about them. Are they digital prototypes?

Nowhere near that far along…

https://fstoppers.com/film/light-lens-lab-hints-prototype-replica-leica-standard-607716

Jun 23, 2022 at 03:39 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

genji wrote:
Nowhere near that far along…

https://fstoppers.com/film/light-lens-lab-hints-prototype-replica-leica-standard-607716

I think that is cool, but this is one product (the camera) that I do not get why they would make it.
With the 8 Elements Replica, the Elcan etc - the OGs are crazy expensive so this allows regular peeps to get a taste.

But the Leica 1F is cheap to buy. $500 give or take.

Here's mine that I am actively using (just loaded more film into it!)

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:32 AM
genji
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Desmolicious wrote:
I think that is cool, but this is one product (the camera) that I do not get why they would make it.
With the 8 Elements Replica, the Elcan etc - the OGs are crazy expensive so this allows regular peeps to get a taste.

But the Leica 1F is cheap to buy. $500 give or take.

Here's mine that I am actively using (just loaded more film into it!)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52123288002_82df0168fe_b.jpg

I believe that you’re 110% correct—and wish now that, in addition to the link, I’d stated what I really think which is that the LLL “prototypes” are probably a publicity stunt.

The LLL lenses cost significantly more than those of other Chinese M mount makers. Perhaps the cost of development might be a bit more because they’re having to reverse engineer an existing design—and the consensus is that they get very, very close to the original. In addition, the build quality and finish appear to be superior to that of other Chinese lenses. But although I haven’t seen or touched the LLL 8-element Summicron 35 replica, I’d be surprised if the quality of construction significantly exceeds that of (say) the CV Ultron 35/2 v2.

So their pricing is largely determined by the rarity (and therefore cost) of the original. Both the 8-element Summicron 35 and the Elcan 50 are prohibitively expensive and LLL skillfully employs price anchoring to create the perception that their (objectively overpriced) copies are bargains.

Jun 23, 2022 at 04:35 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

genji wrote:
I believe that you’re 110% correct—and wish now that, in addition to the link, I’d stated what I really think which is that the LLL “prototypes” are probably a publicity stunt.

The LLL lenses cost significantly more than those of other Chinese M mount makers. Perhaps the cost of development might be a bit more because they’re having to reverse engineer an existing design—and the consensus is that they get very, very close to the original. In addition, the build quality and finish appear to be superior to that of other Chinese lenses. But although I haven’t seen or touched the
...Show more

The build quality/look/feel of my brass finish LLL 8 Elements replica really is quite remarkable. It is far beyond that of other Chinese lenses I've owned from 7A.
The CV is Japanese and seems to be a larger production # item. They also have the advantage of not having to replicate someone else's lens. But perhaps that is not the advantage I think it is?

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:24 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Pixii software update:

https://www.pixii.fr/blog/new-pixii-camera-software-update-5-5-18

I know it's a low bar, but Pixii is doing an awful lot more with this camera than the mighty Zeiss is doing with the ZX1. And it is a lot cheaper.

"Today we are releasing a new combined software update, with changes to both the camera software and the camera firmware. We also pushed a few improvements to the mobile application via a “soft-release” for good measure.

We have continued to receive a lot of feedback with ideas for improvements and also error reports. Thanks to all the people who have spent time testing the development release and exchanging with us! This release couldn’t haven’t happened without your help.

Now what’s on the menu this time?

Menu shortcuts & EC

This new release features a new way to access frequently used menu functions: if you double-click on the menu button, you can now quickly access any of your favorite camera settings.

For example, if you find yourself frequently switching between different ISO levels while shooting, you can configure the menu shortcut to jump directly to the interface for changing the ISO level. Do you often use exposure compensation? Same, you can access it directly.
Prefs Menu
By the way, we have changed the Exposure Compensation setting to make it more coherent with the rest of the system. This setting is now part of the regular camera menu to be easier to change, more discoverable and hopefully less confusing. The old interface has been retired, ie long half-press on the shutter doesn’t do anything anymore.

To use the new the menu shortcut feature, simply visit the Preferences menu on the camera and set your choice.

But that’s not all of course.

Many other improvements

We have improved the camera menu interface with a more coherent Wifi menu, more progress indications during USB backup.

We now have a better support for date & time stored in the EXIF portion of the image files. The Timezone and Offset are also supported to help sort photos more precisely in the chronological order.

A new trigger indication has been added to the viewfinder. The speed indication briefly disappears while the sensor captures the image. The new visual confirmation should help in cases where ambient noise prevents the shutter sound to be heard."

Jun 26, 2022 at 02:21 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

FYI Pixii is linking to this thread right here as a source of information.

That is pretty gutsy and very transparent of them, as it shows they are "allowing" people to see our often harsh critiques of the product.
It makes a lot of sense though, as it lets people know what they are getting into and so hopefully reduces the number of returns.

Jun 26, 2022 at 02:24 PM
WSLam
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Just received mine. I ordered the 128GB but they shipped me the 32GB by mistake. I was offered to either exchange for the 128 model or get a refund.
I have a M7, M10P and Q2. I really got the Pixii out of curiorisity. The discussion above is very valid, but to me, it's not a deal breaker. The Pixii is one of the more charming cameras in recent memories. I have not shot enough with it to share a more complete view, but so far, while it is clearly a work in progress, the IQ seems outstanding despite its other shortcomings.

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:45 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

WSLam wrote:
Just received mine. I ordered the 128GB but they shipped me the 32GB by mistake. I was offered to either exchange for the 128 model or get a refund.
I have a M7, M10P and Q2. I really got the Pixii out of curiorisity. The discussion above is very valid, but to me, it's not a deal breaker. The Pixii is one of the more charming cameras in recent memories. I have not shot enough with it to share a more complete view, but so far, while it is clearly a work in progress, the IQ seems outstanding despite its
...Show more

Really looking forward to your unbiased review!

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:58 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password