New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

SlowDriver
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

The links were provided by Laurent Bouchard on Macfilos but I thought I would share them here as well.
https://www.macfilos.com/2022/03/10/new-pixii-sensor-ranked-top-of-aps-c-world-and-28th-overall/

DNG files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32s60kh2tj0b4em/AABbWy4uWeJ44WPUltl-zJPCa?dl=0

The Pixii group on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/

Instagram: #teampixii

https://pixii.fr/

Mar 12, 2022 at 08:20 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

The V2 Pixxii is vastly improved over the V1. And it is great that the sensor is excellent. But some might say so what if it crops all the M lenses?
My main focal lengths in M land are 28, 35, 40 and 50. I have M lenses in 18, 21, 25, 28, 35, 40, 50, 90.

On the Pixxi 18= 27mm f3.8, so now I would only have a slow and large Ď28í lens while before I had up to 1.4.
21 f4 = 31mm f4
25 f4 = 38mm f4. Before I had a 35mm f1.4 and a 40mm 1.2. Now the closest would be a 38mm f4
28 f1.4 = 42mm 1.4
35 f1.4 = 52mm 1.4
50 f1.4 = 75mm 1.4

Basically the only functionality that remains the same is the 40-ish and 50-ish lengths.

That is where APS-C systems like Fujiís are so good. They have purpose built lenses.
I forget, what was the reason Pixxii went w the crop sensor?

Mar 13, 2022 at 07:58 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

The price really is excellent. $3200 for a brand new m mount rf camera. People are paying more for a 30 year old M6

Mar 13, 2022 at 08:10 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Desmolicious wrote:
The V2 Pixxii is vastly improved over the V1. And it is great that the sensor is excellent. But some might say so what if it crops all the M lenses?
My main focal lengths in M land are 28, 35, 40 and 50. I have M lenses in 18, 21, 25, 28, 35, 40, 50, 90.

On the Pixxi 18= 27mm f3.8, so now I would only have a slow and large Ď28í lens while before I had up to 1.4.
21 f4 = 31mm f4
25 f4 = 38mm f4. Before I had a 35mm f1.4 and a 40mm 1.2. Now the
...Show more

Voigtlander does have fast 21s at 1.4 and 1.8, but they're big. Anything wider than that and you're generally at or slower than f/4, unless you go with the large and pricy ZM15/2.8.

But I agree. The FF M system is very strong wider than 50mm, both in lens options and also how many M users seem to use their cameras. Moving to APS-C really cuts down your wider than 50mm equivalent options. It would be really cool if crazy Mr. Kobayashi released a few APS-C optimized equivalents of 21, 24, 28 and 35, or just ported over the APS-C lenses they're rolling out now. But Pixii is even more niche than Leica M FF, so I really doubt it'll happen. Maybe one of the Chinese newcomers is crazy enough to do it.

Mar 13, 2022 at 08:48 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

rscheffler wrote:
Voigtlander does have fast 21s at 1.4 and 1.8, but they're big. Anything wider than that and you're generally at or slower than f/4, unless you go with the large and pricy ZM15/2.8...

It becomes a weird world when the crop sensor camera lens is much bigger than the equivalent focal length full frame lens.
Just because you'd have to source something like a CV 21 1.4 on APS-C to match up to a 35 1.4 on FF. And a CV 35 1.4 v2 is tiny!

Didn't Fred get the new Pixxii to evaluate?

Mar 13, 2022 at 09:54 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:56 AM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

No LCD, rangefinder and a fair amount of cons... definitely not for everybody...

As a mainly 35mm shooter I would ideally also need to find a 24mm lens first...

Still a very intriguing project...

Mar 17, 2022 at 06:21 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

SlowDriver wrote:
No LCD, rangefinder and a fair amount of cons... definitely not for everybody...

As a mainly 35mm shooter I would ideally also need to find a 24mm lens first...

Still a very intriguing project...

The upsides:

1. By far the cheapest way to get a new M mount Leica camera.
2. Very cool design
3. Leading edge ASP-C BSI sensor
4. Connectivity
5. Apparent future upgradeability as guts can be changed out.
6. Uses cheap, easily available Sony batteries.

Downsides:

1. ASP-C sensor(some may say this is a plus)
2. Limited to 28, 35, 40 and 50mm lenses as those are the only frame line offerings.
3. No live view or ability to use a separate OVF, so limited to using 28, 35, 40 and 50mm lenses.
4. Slow image capture rate, after 6 shots everything slows way down. Not a big deal for me, but may be to more active shooters.
5. Only place of contact/service is in France.
6. No hot or cold shoe, so cannot use flash or separate OVF.

Neutral:

1. No screen on the back! Just like some higher end Leica models.
2. Built in memory.
3. Only electronic shutter.

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:27 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Desmolicious wrote:

21 f4 = 31mm f4
25 f4 = 38mm f4. Before I had a 35mm f1.4 and a 40mm 1.2. Now the
...Show more

Quoting myself.. after checking the Pixii specs, it only has frame lines for 28, 35, 40 and 50mm lenses, with no EVF or ability tto add a separate OVF (no hot shoe) so the point above is moot for the wides.

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:30 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

From the prototype I played with, I considered these items cons as well:

No auto-ISO
No diopter adjustment or option for add-ons
No automatic frame selection

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Fred Miranda wrote:

No auto-ISO

I did not know it did not have auto-ISO. Still, being mainly an M film camera shooter, I am used to that! But of course would be very nice to have. Wondering if that could be a future firmware update.

So you have to manually select frame lines? That actually could be a good thing, as then I'd pick 28 for a 25mm lens, and shoot a little outside those frame lines. So I'm good with that, especially as I will only need one LTM-M adapter for my LTM lenses, and not worry that the adapter will bring up the wrong frame lines.

Are you going to spill the beans on your experience with the camera?

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:49 AM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Fred Miranda wrote:

No auto-ISO

The lack of Auto ISO is rather disappointing...

With regards to the diopter any ideas on how usable the Pixii would be for people with glasses?

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:23 AM
Oldwino
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Desmolicious wrote:
Quoting myself.. after checking the Pixii specs, it only has frame lines for 28, 35, 40 and 50mm lenses, with no EVF or ability tto add a separate OVF (no hot shoe) so the point above is moot for the wides.

Definitely has a cold shoe.

Mar 18, 2022 at 08:36 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

SlowDriver wrote:
The lack of Auto ISO is rather disappointing...

With regards to the diopter any ideas on how usable the Pixii would be for people with glasses?

It's an issue. I need reading glasses and can't focus accurately at close distance. There is no diopter adjustment option for this camera.

Mar 18, 2022 at 09:49 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's an issue. I need reading glasses and can't focus accurately at close distance. There is no diopter adjustment option for this camera.

can you (are you allowed to?) give us a review? I assume this was the 26mp version?

Mar 18, 2022 at 03:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Desmolicious wrote:
can you (are you allowed to?) give us a review? I assume this was the 26mp version?

I won't review it. I only played with a prototype for a couple of days. Yes, the latest version.

Mar 18, 2022 at 03:13 PM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

Fred Miranda wrote:

Is it a straight through optical finder? Like a 'real' Leica? In which case you just use whatever glasses you use for distant vision. I have used my M3 and an M6ttl, as well as an R2 like that all my life. Only reason to use correction is if you want to use it without glasses, then a similar 'correction' to your glasses is needed. You are just looking at the scene through a 'window', not trying to focus on a screen as in an evf, or an slr.
If you really want a 'cheap' body for your costly Leica lenses, then surely a used M9 etc will be cheaper than this? More compromises than an M8 surely, to the point of a painful user experience. A Fuji Xpro would be more fun, and it certainly is in my experience.

Gerry

Mar 18, 2022 at 03:22 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

More observations on the Pixii v2:
https://www.dearsusan.net/2021/10/02/pixii-camera-review/

Mar 18, 2022 at 05:39 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

gyoung143 wrote:
Is it a straight through optical finder? Like a 'real' Leica? In which case you just use whatever glasses you use for distant vision. I have used my M3 and an M6ttl, as well as an R2 like that all my life. Only reason to use correction is if you want to use it without glasses, then a similar 'correction' to your glasses is needed. You are just looking at the scene through a 'window', not trying to focus on a screen as in an evf, or an slr.
If you really want a 'cheap' body for your costly Leica lenses,
...Show more

I have an Xpro3 as well as Leica Ms, and the Fuji is nothing like them apart from in shape, because it does not have an optical rangefinder. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Fuji, but what it is, is an AF camera with a hybrid optical VF.
Oh, but it does have built in diopter adjustment!

Mar 18, 2022 at 05:48 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pixii - Digital Rangefinder Camera

SlowDriver wrote:
More observations on the Pixii v2:
https://www.dearsusan.net/2021/10/02/pixii-camera-review/

The author for sure lives in a beautiful part of the world!

Some really nice pics, but I'm not sure if the emphasis on pastel colours should be so, seeing that I can get that just by reducing the contrast of an image.

Regular:

Pixii-fied! (i.e. lowered contrast)

Yes I am being facetious, but yes, I really do like the Pixii. Just with an M240 AND a Fuji Xpro3 already in possession, it's very hard for me to make a case for it. The Leica works way better than the Pixii with M lenses. While the Fuji works absolutely perfectly with Fuji ASP-C lenses, as well as both cameras actually having real wides!

Mar 18, 2022 at 06:25 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password