New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Paul_100A
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · USB-C PD with OM-1

which power delivery USB units are you folks using with your OM-1?

Mar 10, 2022 at 05:48 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Paul did you see Matt Suess for what he is using? I have not decided on one yet, but good to see what others are getting.

Mar 10, 2022 at 06:10 PM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · USB-C PD with OM-1

PV Hiker wrote:
Paul did you see Matt Suess for what he is using? I have not decided on one yet, but good to see what others are getting.

yep...saw it thanks.

I asked Matt how many actual battery charges it would do (i'm guessing one and a bit?) and also the output is 20W whereas OMDS states, in the manual, that the camera needs 27w or more.
no reply yet.

He did say he was getting a higher capacity unit.
I know diddly squat about these things so it's going be another research project. oh well...it's not a bad thing to have to do.

It appears my order will be camera only (no spare battery nor charger/battery combo) so I'm going to need something to charge the one battery in the field as I often times am out for 6-10 hours or more.

my OM-1 is supposed to be here tomorrow so I plan to be 'gone' all day, until dark, sat and/or sunday.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:45 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · USB-C PD with OM-1

My OM-1 is expected tomorrow as well.

My friend in Reno got from getolompus the double battery charger but no camera yet. Seems odd that people are not reporting getting a charger.

I also need to look into these battery packs but have projects I'm working on. They make sense when set up for like star trails on cold night or shooting from a hide to hook up the keep the battery up. It seems like it would be hard being tethered to a cable. I guess having only one battery for a while don't let it run dry or else your tethered and takes 2 hours or so to charge and to able to keep using the camera.

But they say ( in the marketing) the new battery last all day....
I'll be relived when the battery's are shipped to be able to switch battery's out in the field and charge later.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:44 AM
Tai_Ji51

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Ordered the double battery charger and anticipating to possibly charge spare batteries in the field using the charger USB-C connector with my PB (in my bag)

contacted OM System Europe who reverted pretty quick, but with infos one could find in the user manual, i.e. nothing that might help

can't wait to get my copy and shoot some bif

enjoy your outings

Mar 11, 2022 at 01:01 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · USB-C PD with OM-1

End of the month will be traveling to a remote place and for 3 days not going to be able to charge batteries. So if only one battery for camera will need more than one usb-c power charger.

We have two M1X's for sale and two more to sell later in April, I guess we will just bring two of the four M1X's along to mix with two OM-1's as we have plenty of spare batteries to last the extended outing for M1X"s. When the OM-1 battery gives up then keep using the M1X's. First world power problems...

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:02 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · USB-C PD with OM-1

But they say ( in the marketing) the new battery last all day....

Didn't they say that for the MkII and IIIs too?

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:28 AM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Matt got back to me and said after one full battery charge his PD unit had 46% charge left. so...nearly two charges. not bad. i'll have to look around maybe for a higher capacity unit for now though.
i'll (hoping to) find out tonight if i got a battery or two or three. wife says the CC was not charged for the entire order so i'm thinking I got the camera and not the spare (free) battery and charger/battery combo kit.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:49 AM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Robin Smith wrote:
Didn't they say that for the MkII and IIIs too?

i have 4 batteries for the EM1X and often use up three and get into the third.
i ordered to have 3 total OM-1 batteries in order to have the same capacity at my disposal of the 4 EM1X batteries.
sometimes i leave the camera on all day, sometimes i conserve and shut off camera while walking around until I hear something.
we'll get 'er figured for now.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:54 AM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · USB-C PD with OM-1

We’ve been experimenting with a couple PD power banks for my wife’s OM-1 while awaiting the second battery. The manual states 27 watt PD for tethered power operations. But some bloggers have said you can get by with less watts.

We have tried 2 PD power banks; a 45 watt and a 22.5 watt. While both will run the camera, only the 45watt will do sequential shooting at the rated speed. The 22.5 will do sequential shooting but at a much diminished rate. Single shots seen to work fine, but I suspect any computational features may suffer with the lessor wattage. Both will charge the battery, OK.

I have a 30 watt unit coming tomorrow so will see how that compares.

Mar 13, 2022 at 02:43 PM
FrankA373
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Is there a preferred brand for PD?

Mar 13, 2022 at 03:02 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Good info Gary,

As printed on the block to be plugged in from the wall supplied for the camera shows 5v/3 Amp, 9v/3A

On Page 287 of manual "Be rated for an output of 27W (9v 3A, 15V 2A, or 15V 3A) or more.

I think we need to pay attention of the output Volt and Amps. Gary what are the outputs of the ones you tested?

It mentions that the camera will pull power from the USB-PD to operate so that confirms that you had a reduction of camera operation might be due to the output of the USB-PD.

Also notes that if the internal battery is dead or very low you will get a blank screen until the USB-PD charges up the battery. So that tells me to not let the internal battery go dead thinking I can just attach the PD and continual shooting.

Below is page 287 from the manual.

Mar 13, 2022 at 03:47 PM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · USB-C PD with OM-1

gary0319 wrote:
We’ve been experimenting with a couple PD power banks for my wife’s OM-1 while awaiting the second battery. The manual states 27 watt PD for tethered power operations. But some bloggers have said you can get by with less watts.

We have tried 2 PD power banks; a 45 watt and a 22.5 watt. While both will run the camera, only the 45watt will do sequential shooting at the rated speed. The 22.5 will do sequential shooting but at a much diminished rate. Single shots seen to work fine, but I suspect any computational features may suffer with the lessor wattage.
...Show more

Thanks Gary.
invaluable information.
What brand/model is your 45 Watt unit?

Mar 13, 2022 at 05:57 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Here's the two we have tried.
45 Watt

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Capacity-Delivery-Portable/dp/B08FX8GKJ5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=CFDP6SDT2XC0&keywords=45w+power+bank&qid=1647219905&s=electronics&sprefix=45w+power+bank%2Celectronics%2C96&sr=1-4

22.5 Watt

https://smile.amazon.com/INIU-Portable-Charging-10000mAh-Tablets/dp/B09176JCKZ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=26ZA4FZV50TZC&keywords=22.5+w+power+bank&qid=1647221349&s=electronics&sprefix=22.5+w+power+bank%2Celectronics%2C72&sr=1-4

Mar 13, 2022 at 08:29 PM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · USB-C PD with OM-1

gary0319 wrote:
Here's the two we have tried.
45 Watt

https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Capacity-Delivery-Portable/dp/B08FX8GKJ5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=CFDP6SDT2XC0&keywords=45w+power+bank&qid=1647219905&s=electronics&sprefix=45w+power+bank%2Celectronics%2C96&sr=1-4

22.5 Watt

https://smile.amazon.com/INIU-Portable-Charging-10000mAh-Tablets/dp/B09176JCKZ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=26ZA4FZV50TZC&keywords=22.5+w+power+bank&qid=1647221349&s=electronics&sprefix=22.5+w+power+bank%2Celectronics%2C72&sr=1-4

is it this simple...
the 45 Watt PD is rated at 19 200 mAh.
the BLX-1 is rated at 2 280 mAh.

19 200 divided by 2 280 = 8.4 battery charges?
(i doubt the efficiency is 100% of either device so heat dissipation and total resistances are going to eat up juice)

Mar 13, 2022 at 09:46 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · USB-C PD with OM-1

That’s kind of the way I’m thinking. I was looking for one with less capacity and still above the 27watt threshold, but that combo is hard to find. Anyway, I figure that if I’m ever in a position to have to recharge the OM-1 battery 8 times, I must be hopelessly lost in some wilderness area (and be out of SD cards, anyway)

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:12 PM
Be More

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · USB-C PD with OM-1

The last few days I have been out for between 5-6 hours with the camera on all the time and usually shooting between 1000-2500 photos and the lowest percentage I came home with was 12%. I used to go through 2 batteries for the EM1III for the same time and number of shots. I will be more comfortable to have the second battery when it arrives, yet so far I haven't had to worry.

Mar 14, 2022 at 05:11 AM
MEDISN
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · USB-C PD with OM-1

I spent four days playing and configuring the camera on a single charge. Over 6000 photos but many of those were testing the buffer. Finally plugged it in last night and the battery still said 16% remaining. It's a nice step up for sure.

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:15 AM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Has anyone gotten the dual external battery charger yet? I ordered the charger + extra battery combo and it hasn't shipped yet but I'm just wondering how long it takes to charge the batteries with it.

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:23 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · USB-C PD with OM-1

Friend up in Reno ordered camera, extra battery and external charger/battery from GetOlympus.

Last week he got the battery charger only. So there is no way for him to charge a battery.

I would assume it would be the same as cord to camera, but if the dual charger output is more Voltage/Amps then it should be faster.

Mar 14, 2022 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.