New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Apple throws in a wrench

schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Apple throws in a wrench

Well in my situation they really threw a monkey wrench into the upgrade I was wanting to do. Pretty upset they decided to obsolete the iMac. I'm not really interested in putting yet another box on the desk, ergo why I use an iMac. If I configure a studio (ignoring the ultra version) to replace my iMac the bill comes to just over $5k. Ignoring the additional fat mini box my wallet isn't ready to open for that size of a change. Now got to rethink this. I already have a MBP M1 Max, so maybe just a good monitor with keyboard, trackpad and put the MBP in clamshell mode. Definitely less expensive. Issue might be their new monitor doesn't support promotion that the MBP has. Really hate Apple for this one.....

Mar 09, 2022 at 09:01 AM
brad-man
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Apple throws in a wrench

Yup. As nice as Macs are, there's a lot to be said about PC interchangeability. To be free to mix and match and upgrade parts from various makers to your hearts and wallets content is liberating.

Mar 09, 2022 at 09:05 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Apple throws in a wrench

The problem with PC's is the Windows 11 as a operating system. crapware

Mar 09, 2022 at 11:25 AM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Apple throws in a wrench

schlotz wrote:
I already have a MBP M1 Max, so maybe just a good monitor with keyboard, trackpad and put the MBP in clamshell mode. Definitely less expensive. Issue might be their new monitor doesn't support promotion that the MBP has. Really hate Apple for this one.....

I wonder if that's what Apple is thinking that people will do, because there seems to be a big gaping hole in their desktop lineup now.
Or they believe that the mini is so good that it will serve the people who would buy a 27" iMac. Honestly, I've been hearing from people who are using base configured M1 Macbook Airs and Mac Minis that they are having no problems doing Lightroom and Photoshop work on them.

Edited on Mar 09, 2022 at 12:05 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2022 at 11:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Apple throws in a wrench

rattlebonez wrote:

one can use win10. easily purchased. the laptop i'm on typing right now has informed me that it can use 11. win 11 actually has a apple OS feeling to it. that in itself is not a good thing in my opinion.

Mar 09, 2022 at 11:57 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Apple throws in a wrench

schlotz wrote:
Well in my situation they really threw a monkey wrench into the upgrade I was wanting to do. Pretty upset they decided to obsolete the iMac. I'm not really interested in putting yet another box on the desk, ergo why I use an iMac. If I configure a studio (ignoring the ultra version) to replace my iMac the bill comes to just over $5k. Ignoring the additional fat mini box my wallet isn't ready to open for that size of a change. Now got to rethink this. I already have a MBP M1 Max, so maybe just a good
...Show more

Having an i9 27" iMac 5k on my desk, I beg to differ. The gorgeous screen lasts way longer than the CPU, and Apple doesn't allow using it as an external monitor. Now I can just upgrade the computer and not have to dump the screen. Works for me.

Mar 09, 2022 at 12:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Apple throws in a wrench

Having an iMac 27" 5K screen right next to my CG277, I would not exactly call the Apple screen "gorgeous". If that's what you're used to then it's gorgeous to you but compare it to a real pro level screen and you'll likely have a change of opinion.

The new M1Max MBP screens ARE the best laptop screens I've ever seen, and are generally an overall match to the Eizo - at least good enough for shooting tethered and making rough exposure judgments, but they still clip off the bottom ten levels or so in the blacks. But the oddest thing is that when you change to a different hardware preset, say to REC709 or DCI, which drastically changes how the screen looks, it does not update with a corresponding monitor profile but keeps using the default Color LCD, which obviously can't be right for all the modes. And unfortunately Apple is not allowing (yet) third party calibration apps to generate table based profiles.

Mar 09, 2022 at 01:48 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Apple throws in a wrench

Definitely not going back to windows. I built many many pc's between the 80s and 2013. In '13 I migrated to the Apple system and I'm very satisfied, of course Cook abandoning the iMac has put a thorn in my side at this point but that certainly will not begin to persuade me to convert back.

There are third party solutions that will allow me to use the iMac screen with my MBP. Couple that with the upcoming universal control rollout and there might be a possibility I won't have to buy anything.

Mar 09, 2022 at 03:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Apple throws in a wrench

you know you can have both one one machine

Mar 09, 2022 at 05:22 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Apple throws in a wrench

Already do. I run Parallels for one program I need that is only windows based.

Mar 09, 2022 at 06:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Apple throws in a wrench

schlotz wrote:
I already have a MBP M1 Max, so maybe just a good monitor with keyboard, trackpad and put the MBP in clamshell mode. Definitely less expensive. Issue might be their new monitor doesn't support promotion that the MBP has. Really hate Apple for this one.....

This is what I am doing currently and very happy with the decision!

Mar 09, 2022 at 07:21 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Apple throws in a wrench

I must have missed that Apple made the iMac obsolete.

To me, they just added a new segment with pretty cool computers and ridiculously overpriced monitors.

You can always buy a third-party monitor, but the inability to upgrade the computer remains a weird Apple habit, one that actually really hurts their reputation- at least in my mind.

Mar 09, 2022 at 07:36 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Apple throws in a wrench

Peter Figen wrote:
Having an iMac 27" 5K screen right next to my CG277, I would not exactly call the Apple screen "gorgeous". If that's what you're used to then it's gorgeous to you but compare it to a real pro level screen and you'll likely have a change of opinion.

It's pretty gorgeous compared to the two old Apple Cinema displays I still have kicking around, but I know people who rely on perfect color calibration dislike Apple monitors (as I said in the other thread). I've not had issues with matching prints, aside from the stupid monitor brightness button getting inadvertently hit (they need to make a way to lock that out).

Yes, they are spendy, to be sure...

Mar 09, 2022 at 08:48 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Apple throws in a wrench

Well, okay then.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:05 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Apple throws in a wrench

rattlebonez wrote:

That is always been the problem the god ugly Windoze OS.

Mar 11, 2022 at 07:39 PM
fgphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Apple throws in a wrench

Peter Figen wrote:
The new M1Max MBP screens ARE the best laptop screens I've ever seen, and are generally an overall match to the Eizo - at least good enough for shooting tethered and making rough exposure judgments, but they still clip off the bottom ten levels or so in the blacks. But the oddest thing is that when you change to a different hardware preset, say to REC709 or DCI, which drastically changes how the screen looks, it does not update with a corresponding monitor profile but keeps using the default Color LCD, which obviously can't be right for all the
...Show more

Peter, I agree that the display on the new MBP’s are stellar. As far as profiling the display, BasICColor has developed a method for calibrating them that works well. (It is a bit of work since it has to navigate all the new roadblocks Apple has created to managing color, but it delivers a good profile.) www.basiccolor.de

Mar 15, 2022 at 06:51 AM
zoetmb2

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Apple throws in a wrench

WHAT are you talking about? The iMac is not obsolete. The latest iMac has the M1 chip. Base configurations are $1299 to $1699.

There is no indication whatsoever that the iMac is being discontinued.

Apr 01, 2022 at 11:22 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Apple throws in a wrench

zoetmb2 wrote:
WHAT are you talking about? The iMac is not obsolete. The latest iMac has the M1 chip. Base configurations are $1299 to $1699.

There is no indication whatsoever that the iMac is being discontinued.

There are 2 versions of the iMac. The iMac 27" version was not updated, and this is what I was was referring to.

Apr 02, 2022 at 07:07 AM
zoetmb2

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Apple throws in a wrench

OK...there's only a 24" right now, but my bet is that that's due to supply issues. I think as soon as those are resolved, they'll be a larger iMac again. There's currently an 8-10 week delay on the 27" Apple Studio Display. Of course, we might not see the supply and chip shortage issues resolved until 2024.

May 24, 2022 at 10:52 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Apple throws in a wrench

While always a possibility, Apple seems to migrate their offerings without retracing it's steps. The introduction of the Studio and Display signals their move. Add to that the obsoleting of the existing iMac and the writing is pretty clear. We'll never know the internal decision making process that led up to this. Could be as simple as what they wanted to create would not easily fit within the design limitations of the iMac or at least within a design they would be willing to go with. Then again, the reinventing process might have been the driving factor. At the end of the day, what we now see is what we have to decide upon. Like I pointed out initially, I really hate Apple for this one but they make their decisions and I make mine. My MBP M1 Max runs circles around my late 2015 iMac, so I'm adding a display, keyboard plus trackpad and this will become the main machine. I'll repurpose the iMac to serving up movies, music and printer duties for the house along with some addon security & backup functions.

May 25, 2022 at 09:41 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.