Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2022 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

George Welch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

I agree, Robert. Never had issues with dust on sensor issues until I had my Sony gear, especially the A9 and A7RIV.

Same with operation in extreme cold.

For some people it really matters.

George

Apr 10, 2022 at 04:19 AM
Mrfrench

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Live composite, IBIS, Live time, ergonomics, live ND, hi-res, stacking, liveview boost!

Apr 19, 2022 at 07:40 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

What did you end up doing? I sold OM-1 (and A1) and got A7IV. Liking it so far.
memzinla wrote:
This is also true. I'm debating between the OM-1 and A7 IV. I bought the OM-1, but might end up returning it.

Apr 20, 2022 at 07:49 AM
gary0319
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

I'm never disappointed with any combination of camera body and lens....from the OM-1 with a Pro lens right down to the E-M10 IV with a cheapy 40-150 f/4-5.6 that I picked up for about $50 on a refurb sale (image below). There aren’t any "stinkers" to be had.

For just plain fun, I'll spend aa few hours shooting my E-M10 IV or E-M5 III with only the Scene modes, what a hoot and amazing pics to boot. Then take the OM-1 to a local wetlands area and shoot a Bald Eagle incoming from out in the marsh and get home to realize I just shot a burst of 104 images and only missed focus on 5.

UPDATE 5/10/2022

This image just garnered a Blue Ribbon in Florida Statewide Camera Clubs competition..

Edited on Oct 23, 2022 at 06:40 AM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2022 at 08:43 PM
memzinla
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

ajamils wrote:
What did you end up doing? I sold OM-1 (and A1) and got A7IV. Liking it so far.

What do you like about the Sony a7 IV? What lenses do you have? I bought the OM-1 again to give it a 2nd chance, but as soon as it arrived I thought I should just buy a lens for my Panasonic S5. The video on that is so good. On some pictures, I prefer the OM-1 version compared to the S5 though. Love the small size and weight. I'm leaning towards Sony because of the small lenses.

Apr 21, 2022 at 02:35 PM
BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

robert_in_ca wrote:
Disagree about your comment about weather resistant being overrated. I’ve shot with my Olympus gear all over the world and in pretty harsh environments were weather proofing/sealing is important.

For example, in Indonesia on the island of Lombok a rouge wave hit some rocks next to me and dumped at least 10 gallons, if not more, of salt water mixed with sand all over me and my E-M1 Mk2 and 12-100mm Pro lens. My camera and lens was completely covered with sand and salt water, and all I had to do was take my water bottle and rinse it off
...Show more

That's great, but there is no evidence that nonWR gear would have faired worse, or that your gear won't fail prematurely.
It's all based on emotion, because that's what sells. Just like calling something "professional" or "tactical".

I've shot in similar conditions as you've described and my nonWR gear has not failed.

Apr 21, 2022 at 09:31 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

I think there is plenty of evidence the OM systems WR is great, and few people seem inclined to pour gallons of water over Sony cameras. As you say they might fair as well, but OM seem to encourage this kind of testing, which does suggest they have confidence in the result.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:34 AM
ajamils
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

memzinla wrote:
What do you like about the Sony a7 IV? What lenses do you have? I bought the OM-1 again to give it a 2nd chance, but as soon as it arrived I thought I should just buy a lens for my Panasonic S5. The video on that is so good. On some pictures, I prefer the OM-1 version compared to the S5 though. Love the small size and weight. I'm leaning towards Sony because of the small lenses.

I like the AF, IQ and overall I responsiveness of the camera. I have the following lenses....
- 16-35 f2.8 GM
- Tamron 35-150 f2-f2.8
- Sigma 85/1.4
- Samyang 135 f1.8
- Sony 200-600

I thought about getting OM-1 again as I barely tried it for couple of days before selling it but I'm sure I will not like it. It is difficult for me to go back from high mpx FF back to 20mpx m43. Though if OM-System update the EM5 series with same capabilities as OM-1, I will reconsider it with small primes.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:40 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

No small lenses then...

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:26 AM
Toddster

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

For me mu43 offers the perfect size equipment that I am comfortable shooting with. The system has a fantastic selection of lenses. And, perhaps best of all, there is so much good equipment available in the used market that it is an affordable solution.

In the past I felt a little hindered in low light situations but with the advent of some really good noise removal tools I feel very comfortable in low light high ISO scenarios. My weapon of choice is DxO PL DeepPrime but I also own Topaz DeNoise for those times that I need to clean up a jpeg. Both are very powerful tools.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:29 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Robin Smith wrote:
No small lenses then...

You can certainly get small FF lenses
24f2.8G
35f2.8
50f1.8
90f2.8C
10-18f4
17-28f2.8
28-70f2.8
28-200
That’s my personal collection for FF.

For m43, using Panasonic GH6,
7.5f2
15f1.7
45f1.7
12-60f3.5-5.6
12-35f2.8
14-140

M43 is smaller by a little, not a ton. Like it for the high framerate

1080p300 is glorious
As well as 4K120, and combined with ultra good stabilization, a hell of a package.

Apr 25, 2022 at 04:53 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

My comment was about ajamils' He has no small lenses for the FF Sony. In fact he has picked some of the larger lenses available. So I guess I am suggesting that system size has not been a guiding factor for him in selecting the system. I used to be like that, but I have moved on.

Apr 26, 2022 at 09:25 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Been shooting with Olympus M4/3 since 2012, added Sony FF in 2018 and continue use both systems to this day. Each has it advantages, but for a general overview it is the weight and cost savings that drew me to Olympus back in 2012. No where is this more evident than in the 2 standard f2.8 zooms that many consider critical for any camera system.

Today Sony is announcing their updated version II of the 24-70 f2.8 zoom, it weights in at 695g, about 190g less than the previous version. This follows a few months back the updated version II of the 70-200 f2.8 which weighs 1045g, previous version was 1480g! Compare this to my Olympus M. Zuiko 2 zoom f2.8 setup. The 12-40 f2.8 Pro has an additional 10mm of reach vs. the Sony and weighs 382g, a bit more than 1/2 the weight. My 40-150 f2.8 Pro has 100mm of additional natural reach vs. the Sony 70-200 (both accept tc's) and weighs 760g including the tripod collar, which I took off, it is closer to 720g. Combined the 2 M. Zuiko zooms weight savings are about 650g, they are fully weather sealed, a full metal build, a constant f2.8, have 100mm more reach and tremendous IQ. And I have been happily shooting with this pair for 8 years. Price wise, the M. Zuiko 12-40 and 40-150 can be both be bought for $2,350. This is $50 more than just the updated Sony 24-70 f2.8 ALONE at $2,300. Add $2,800 for the Sony 70-200 for a total of $5,100, or 117% more, for the Sony pair that weighs almost a pound and a half more and has 100mm less reach.

For my overseas travel I take these 2 M. Zuiko zooms along with the 17mm f1.2 Pro and the Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2, though on my next trip I want to try out my Sigma 56 f1.4 instead of the Noct. Combined these 4 excellent lenses weigh just about the same as the pair of updated Sony zooms, but includes the luxury of having a couple of very fast, low light primes along. Huge advantage when traveling with M4/3 to me.

Apr 27, 2022 at 09:00 AM
mannyfresh79
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

I own several M43 bodies including the GH5 and EM1-M2. I also own an R5.

My favorite camera is the GX85 due to it's portability. I'm a family man with two young kids and being able to stash a camera in a jacket pocket is priceless. Also pancake lenses help.

However, I also do birding and for that reason, I choose the R5 over my M43 gear. Weight is not an issue as I can hand-hold a Canon 500 f/4 (9lbs) for short periods of time, enough to get bird shots.

Doing some price comparisons here for birding:

R5 ($3800) with a really old Canon 500 f/4 ($2800) = $6600.
OM1 ($2200) + 300 f/4 ($2850) = $5050

I realize all sorts of things are off with this comparison. New gear vs old gear, weight, portability, etc etc. I get that. It's apples to oranges. But from my perspective where I'm after better quality, the price is worth pros and cons of having the FF R5.

I'll likely keep both M43 and FF systems for the foreseeable future.

May 26, 2022 at 09:54 AM
Sagar
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

At the least you should compare old to old. If you consider new cameras and used lenses for both, R5 kit will cost $6600 and Olympus OM1 with used 300mm/f4 will cost $4000. That makes OM kit 40% cheaper. In addition you get extra 100mm and significantly less heavier, smaller gear, best in class IBIS and weather proofing

End of the day it’s personal subjective choice. Some may not mind spending extra or adding weight or size for marginal quality improvement, others may prefer nimble, smaller, cheaper kit giving almost similar quality for practical purposes of hobbyist.

From my experience every time I tried FF kit I ended up coming back to m43 for its size: price: quality balance. Major flaw for m43 was its lagging AF which seem to have addressed in OM-1.

mannyfresh79 wrote:
I own several M43 bodies including the GH5 and EM1-M2. I also own an R5.

My favorite camera is the GX85 due to it's portability. I'm a family man with two young kids and being able to stash a camera in a jacket pocket is priceless. Also pancake lenses help.

However, I also do birding and for that reason, I choose the R5 over my M43 gear. Weight is not an issue as I can hand-hold a Canon 500 f/4 (9lbs) for short periods of time, enough to get bird shots.

Doing some price comparisons here for birding:

R5 ($3800) with a really
...Show more

May 26, 2022 at 06:23 PM
Bytesmiths

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

ajamils wrote:
All valid points except for size, weight and price. m4/3 cameras and lenses are just as expensive FF and APS-C cameras. Similarly, size has grown a lot. Olympus and Panasonic "Pro" lenses are no smaller than lenses on other systems.

Only if you compare them with "amateur" or "entry level" systems.

µ4/3rds is unique in crop sensor systems that have a focus on high-end, pro-level performance.

The companies that make both FF and APS-C will never add enough features and performance to their "crop" cameras to the point that they begin to compete with their FF cameras.

And let's not even start on IBIS, which even the highest-end FF cameras struggle with, compared to µ4/3rds.

Jul 13, 2022 at 07:59 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

I'd been a Canon, Nikon and Sony guy since 1999. I dabbled with a Pen and OMD-EM5 back in the day. It left an indelible impression on me but I moved on. I'd been working professionally with a Canon R5 and bevy of top RF glass now for over a year and a half. I noted all the balleyhooing over the OM-1 and started paying attention. After burying myself in too many reviews and Youtube's on it I talked a friend into jumping on the system as he'd not been satisfied with the latest Nikon and Canon offerings for his sports shooting. What snagged me was the OM-1/12-40 f2.8 Pro II package was IN stock at B&H for a day. I snagged one just wanting to try it out and see what it was all about.

I have to admit I never expected to get so bit by it. I was astounded not only with it's tenacious focus system, but ohhh those colors. They are the first one's to entice me since Canon. The feature set, EVF and LCD were already catching me, but the files coming off that camera were blowing me away. I upped the ante to adding a 40-150 f2.8 Pro and Oly 100-400. Each and every day it continues to shock and amaze me with it's performance and output. The lighter weight has been intoxicating to say the least. At 68 years of age and having had both shoulders worked on with a bad back it's been a welcome change. I'm not looking at selling off all my Canon gear. This setup is just wayyyy too much fun and enjoyment. I can easily do my professional work (occasional weddings, events and portraits) with this setup. I've already road tested it in that regard and it makes it happen. I have a 25 f1.2 Pro and 1.4x teleconverter coming. Down the road I plan on adding the 8-25 f4 Pro and maybe even the 45 f1.2 Pro to round out the setup. I've NEVER been so taken with a system over the last 25 years quite like this. I love holding that little brick with performance that continues to surprise me. So yeah, it's a ton of fun and more enjoyable to use then ANY other brand thus far, and I've used them ALL.

Jul 13, 2022 at 09:00 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

I'll gratuitously contribute my view, which I am sure everyone wants to hear. I like M4/3 for its compactness compared to FF, particularly when I want some effective reach. However, my M4/3 system has gotten larger over the years with lenses like the 12-100f4 pro. And my FF system has gotten smaller over the years going from a 5D to A7III and lenses like the Tamron 28-200 f2.8-5.6, which might be regarded as close to the Oly 12-100f4 pro.

So the way I'd describe it is my M4.3 system is about 75 per cent of the size of my Sony system, except the sensor is one quarter of the size, but it gives me about 93 per cent of the image quality. These percentages are purely my own unscientific subjective personal opinion, which I'm sure many will think are wrong.

Of course I could go to a smaller M4/3 system but then I could also go to a smaller FF system. Last night by coincidence I compared my EM1 MII with Panny 20 f1.7 pancake, and Sony A7 III with Sammyang 35 f2.8 pancake and I would say they are more the same than different.

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:46 PM
Tom Reynolds
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

The difference is lenses designed for the 43 format. Neither Canon nor Nikon wants to do that with telephoto lenses. Nikon, for example, could have offered a 200-500 DX lens but the best they have is a 70-300 DX.

Jul 18, 2022 at 04:16 PM
BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

The big selling point for me is compactness. Although my OM-1 and 300 mm is about the same size as my friends Canon + Sigma 150-600.

Along those lines, I use OEM batteries exclusively so I don't have to carry more, quasi-reliable third-party batteriez.

Jul 19, 2022 at 02:36 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.