Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2022 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

thomastaesu

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

What makes it fun to shoot with m4/3?

Mar 06, 2022 at 10:21 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

For me, tactile quality of the cameras, excellent lenses, compactness, awesome IBIS and in camera computational options.

Mar 06, 2022 at 10:45 PM
thomastaesu

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

galenapass wrote:
For me, tactile quality of the cameras, excellent lenses, compactness, awesome IBIS and in camera computational options.

The only lens I was disappointed in was 17mm f1.8. Very plain and lack of contrast shocked me when I was used 'jumpy' IQ of m43 lenses.

Mar 06, 2022 at 11:17 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Then you should try the 17mm 1.2 Pro… stellar lens with great micro contrast, along with a really nice falloff.

thomastaesu wrote:
The only lens I was disappointed in was 17mm f1.8. Very plain and lack of contrast shocked me when I was used 'jumpy' IQ of m43 lenses.

Mar 06, 2022 at 11:38 PM
George Welch
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Portability and, for the Olympus, weather resistance/build quality.

George

Mar 07, 2022 at 04:47 AM
ElvisD
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

The menus.

Mar 07, 2022 at 06:12 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

galenapass wrote:

Exactly!

Mar 07, 2022 at 06:36 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

thomastaesu wrote:

Same here. Sold mine.

Mar 07, 2022 at 06:41 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

- Lens quality
- Size and weight
- Price
- Ergonomics
- Video features and quality
- The best stabilisation
- The best weather sealing
- Advanced technology that works for me as a photographer
- The feeling of owning and using premium quality products at a reasonable price
- Build quality
- The look on full frame shooters' faces when they see the results I get with this "inferior" system

Mar 07, 2022 at 07:39 AM
thomastaesu

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
- Lens quality
- Size and weight
- Price
- Ergonomics
- The best stabilisation
- The feeling of owning and using premium quality products at a reasonable price
- Build quality
- The look on full frame shooters' faces when they see the results I get with this "inferior" system

Face I make when my pictures from FF do not look any better than my Olympus pictures.

Mar 07, 2022 at 08:35 AM
visualpauses
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Its just that fact that you can keep an 12-200 or 75-300 similar lens on a small camera all the time and just pick, compose and shoot. Although some pro lenses are bigger, many lenses and smaller bodies are not conspicuous in a crowd. "Fun" and "serious" don't always mix. Somehow the heavier FF gear feels more "serious" due to the heft.

I would get that "serious" feeling if I were toting a 40-150 PRO or 300 f4 or 150-400 on an M1X. But then again, the 150-400 (if I get a chance to use one) would still feel more fun than a 600 prime. So it's all relative.

Mar 07, 2022 at 12:39 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
- Lens quality
- Size and weight
- Price
- Ergonomics
- The best stabilisation
- Build quality

All valid points except for size, weight and price. m4/3 cameras and lenses are just as expensive FF and APS-C cameras. Similarly, size has grown a lot. Olympus and Panasonic "Pro" lenses are no smaller than lenses on other systems.

Mar 07, 2022 at 01:05 PM
amv8
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

I'm glad @thomastaesu started this thread. I wondered what photographers meant by comments made in other threads of m4/3 being more "fun". For me, I get shots with my Oly system that I would miss with FF due to the great IBIS and more compact/lighter form factor (don't need a tripod and easier to keep the kit close by). With that said, if I have more time to set up and/or have planned a shot, I'll typically get a higher quality result from an image quality standpoint with my FF. I also generally prefer the 4/3 aspect ratio over 3/2.

Mar 07, 2022 at 01:16 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

ajamils wrote:
m4/3 cameras and lenses are just as expensive FF and APS-C cameras.

Sony A1 is C$8500 plus tax; the OM-1 is $2800; that's not an insignificant difference.

Mar 07, 2022 at 01:18 PM
memzinla
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
- Lens quality
- Size and weight
- Price
- Ergonomics
- The best stabilisation
- Build quality

I agree and I moved to FF with a Panasonic S5. I love the picture quality, but I always had good pictures with small sensors. People were surprised when they would see my Sony RX100 pictures. lol

Mar 07, 2022 at 01:20 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

molson wrote:
Sony A1 is C$8500 plus tax; the OM-1 is $2800; that's not an insignificant difference.

Yes, if you pick the most expensive FF body. There are plenty of FF bodies that are similar price to m4/3.

Mar 07, 2022 at 01:35 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

ajamils wrote:
All valid points except for size, weight and price. m4/3 cameras and lenses are just as expensive FF and APS-C cameras. Similarly, size has grown a lot. Olympus and Panasonic "Pro" lenses are no smaller than lenses on other systems.

That’s comparing apples and oranges. Yes, if you use cheaper FF cameras and smaller FF lenses, you can have a cheap and small FF kit. But that kit will not compare with what the MFT kit of similar price, size and weight can deliver. For that comparison, you’d have to pick something like an EM-10 and small MFT lenses and now again you’re talking cheaper, smaller and lighter.

Mar 07, 2022 at 01:40 PM
memzinla
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

ajamils wrote:
Yes, if you pick the most expensive FF body. There are plenty of FF bodies that are similar price to m4/3.

This is also true. I'm debating between the OM-1 and A7 IV. I bought the OM-1, but might end up returning it.

Mar 07, 2022 at 01:50 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

memzinla wrote:
This is also true. I'm debating between the OM-1 and A7 IV. I bought the OM-1, but might end up returning it.

I already have A1 but have OM-1 on order.

Who knows if I end up keep it or not but just wanted to throw it out there that size/cost advantage of m4/3 has been long gone. So you cannot just put a blanket statement that m43 is cheaper and smaller.

Mar 07, 2022 at 02:02 PM
memzinla
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What makes m4/3 system more fun than other systems?

Yeah, my OM-1 is arriving tomorrow. I really want a small and light camera. I've been thinking about Sony because of the small/light lens selection. I just don't like the LCD screen on the a7 IV. Thinking about the a7r III.

I love my Panasonic S5. Picture quality is amazing, but it doesn't have many lenses I want... yet! I want a small wide prime. Currently use the Sigma 24mm F3.5.

Mar 07, 2022 at 02:17 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.