Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

bigpapi

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

Hi everyone. Recently grabbed an R3 and used it for two shoots. The first shoot was a wedding and I had it lock up on me twice. The screen froze and I has to remove and reinsert the battery. Yesterday, over the course of three hours, I was shooting sports (electronic, servo) and I had it happen to me a total of seven times. Two times I had a lens error (Err 60) with my RF 70-200 and five times it completely froze on me. When I got back home I turned on the camera, and I got another lens error on my RF 24-70 (Err 70). When I turned it off and turned it on, IMMEDIATELY I had a battery error where I had to remove and reinsert the battery.

Has anyone experienced this level of fuckery with their R3? I'm chalking it up to it being a lemon and am having it inspected and potentially replaced tomorrow. I have 1 256GB Sandisk CFExpress and 1 128GB V30I SD card in the camera.

Mar 03, 2022 at 12:37 AM
jwcdds

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

Sounds very citrus-y... as in you got a lemon.

I think I've only had to pull the battery on my R3 once, at most twice in my 2.5 months of ownership. And it wasn't due to battery or error codes.

Mar 03, 2022 at 01:57 AM
graycat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

I have had my R3 for about 6 weeks or so. While I have only shot about 10K images with it, I have had no issues . . . yet. In reading all the different posts on this topic, the only thing I can see that I am doing different is using an SD card as primary and the CF express card as my over-flow. Also, my CF express card is only a 64 GB sized card.

Mar 03, 2022 at 02:16 AM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

I had a few lockups when shooting for seven days on safari in Kruger Park. After 3 or 4 days I updated the firmware and no more freezing. I did not have any error codes, just a frozen screen and it would not focus.

Mar 03, 2022 at 04:58 AM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

Have any of you tried the firmware update that's suppose to fix it yet?

Mar 04, 2022 at 09:27 AM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

If you havenít you should update to firmware 1.1.1. If you havenít, you should see if the contacts are as expected and perhaps clean them.

After that, if you still experience issues you should contact Canon and send it in for repair.

Mar 04, 2022 at 12:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

graycat wrote:
I have had my R3 for about 6 weeks or so. While I have only shot about 10K images with it, I have had no issues . . . yet. In reading all the different posts on this topic, the only thing I can see that I am doing different is using an SD card as primary and the CF express card as my over-flow. Also, my CF express card is only a 64 GB sized card.

well, my Cf express is 128gb but only for video, which seldom happens...and in the unlikely case of filling up the sd while not having an extra card
So, I have not experienced any lockdowns of freeze-ups - maybe there is something in this (Cfe card use and size)
Despite such, I have upgraded to new firmware.

Mar 04, 2022 at 08:54 PM
fgphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

I have started experiencing lockups, but they only started after updating to the latest firmware.

Edited on May 15, 2022 at 08:24 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2022 at 05:26 AM
fgphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

If you are still experiencing lockups with your R3, take a look at this discussion taking place at the Canon Community forums. It appears that the lockups are related to having GPS on in mode 2. I have not had any lockups or freezes on either of my R3's since turning the GPS off. Prior to that, I would get at least one per camera in a full day of shooting.

No idea why it would cause issues, but a growing number of users have cured lockups by turning GPS off.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Canon-EOS-R3-Freeze-up-Issue-The-likely-cause/m-p/364292

And I have talked with CPS about how turning off GPS cured lockups. Hopefully they will move to fix it in a future firmware update because being able to use GPS is a nice feature.

May 14, 2022 at 09:01 AM
Nikon1960
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

The first couple of outings were a mess with my R3 and freezing, but after I updated the firmware to the latest, I didn't have any more issues.

May 15, 2022 at 04:34 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

I had one lock up event, with no lens mounted. Was just adjusting the settings on wifi menu etc. had to remove the battery and reinsert to get it working again.

I do have the latest firmware 1.1.1 already, so it's not the FW. I do have GPS on mode 2, so I will turn it off as the link above from @fgphoto seems to suggest.

May 15, 2022 at 05:26 PM
RKnecht
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon R3 Lockup and Lens Errors?

I had my R3 freeze up a couple of times last weekend while using it with my Sigma 120-300 OS Sport (brand new lens). GPS is off, so I am going to update the R3 firmware and check the lensí firmware.

May 18, 2022 at 06:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password