FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · diffusion tents

Flowernut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · diffusion tents

A while back, using a dome tent like structure made of diffusion fabric or plastic was used as a light modifier. The photographer got inside to take the picture. Nice even light and a wind break. Does anyone still use something like that?

Mar 02, 2022 at 10:51 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · diffusion tents

Flowernut wrote:
A while back, using a dome tent like structure made of diffusion fabric or plastic was used as a light modifier. The photographer got inside to take the picture. Nice even light and a wind break. Does anyone still use something like that?

The only diffusers I have ever used are collapsible hoops types.

If I want protection from the wind for photography at home I use a greenhouse or conservatory.

A cloudy sky is a very good diffuser.

You can but small, portable white plastic versions (like an oversized pet-carrying basket) with a doorway through which the lens may be pointed.

The dome tent you mention would be good for e.g. flowers only if they were on plants in pots, i.e. portable. The principle is sound but the practical applications would be limited.

Harold

Mar 03, 2022 at 05:51 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · diffusion tents

historically these were used for wild native plants in the field. Like others, I use umbrellas and the collapsible hoops. Back in the day, I knew people who hung sheets between trees.

Mar 03, 2022 at 10:27 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · diffusion tents

Flowernut wrote:
historically these were used for wild native plants in the field. Like others, I use umbrellas and the collapsible hoops. Back in the day, I knew people who hung sheets between trees.

I suspect that those historical examples were probably expeditions, where the photographer had at least an assistant to carry poles and sheets and help set up such sheets.

Even after such efforts, describing new species would require an artist to examine several specimens/photos and draw an average version which did not exist in the material in front of them (or in the photographs).

Harold

Mar 03, 2022 at 11:39 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · diffusion tents

Actually no. the tents were fiberglass 3/16-1/4" poles for backpacking tents generally 3 that would bend and were put into the ground in hoops. Then what amounted to a frosted shower curtain or say a 8x8 ft tarp made from parachute cloth was draped over it. Maybe a couple of aluminum rod backpacking tent stakes to hold the cloth down. Mine rolls into a package 3x3" square and 18" long probably weighing 3 lbs. For hanging a sheet, they would throw a line over the limb of two trees and attach the sheet shading a large area when photographing a carpet of flowers. Anyway it was all one man jobs.

This was being done by flower photographers in the late 80's and early 90's not as part of a botanical exploration. I suspect it was a US thing that never made it overseas. There were at least 3 sources of them and several professional photographers using them at the time. Have not heard much about them in a long time. I never was big on it as setting them up could do damage to the surroundings. Mine has actually never been used and I'm getting ready to sell it.

I think the basic answer to my question is that no one is using them anymore.

Mar 04, 2022 at 10:17 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · diffusion tents

Flowernut wrote:
Actually no. the tents were fiberglass 3/16-1/4" poles for backpacking tents generally 3 that would bend and were put into the ground in hoops. Then what amounted to a frosted shower curtain or say a 8x8 ft tarp made from parachute cloth was draped over it. Maybe a couple of aluminum rod backpacking tent stakes to hold the cloth down. Mine rolls into a package 3x3" square and 18" long probably weighing 3 lbs. For hanging a sheet, they would throw a line over the limb of two trees and attach the sheet shading a large area when photographing a
...Show more

Very interesting. Thanks.

The disturbance issue is very important. Such botanical work as I do, away from home, tends to be in botanical gardens or greenhouses where even a tripod might be unwelcome.

Harold

Mar 04, 2022 at 11:30 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.