FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Want to upgrade my macro light

atracksler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Want to upgrade my macro light

I bought a cheap Godox from adorama for @$20 a while ago and I like it, but it’s cheap and weak.

Looking for recommendations for an upgrade. I’m shooting a Sony A7r 3.

Mar 02, 2022 at 07:56 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Want to upgrade my macro light

atracksler wrote:
I bought a cheap Godox from adorama for @$20 a while ago and I like it, but it’s cheap and weak.

Looking for recommendations for an upgrade. I’m shooting a Sony A7r 3.

That's not very specific. It it flash that you want?

Harold

Mar 03, 2022 at 01:40 PM
AccessDenied
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Want to upgrade my macro light

I was about to post a thread on this myself, I still might because I'm looking at a specific application, but this is what I'm considering at the moment:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1675591-REG/godox_mf_r76_macro_ring_flash.html

I have a Godox AD200 flash/strobe that I bought years ago. I've used it on a small soft box, and other modifiers, but for macro work, particularly in the field or backyard, it's quite cumbersome.

I've never had a ring-flash, but I'm interested in giving this a try. It's fully manual and should work with any camera that has a standard hot shoe mount...

Mar 03, 2022 at 02:01 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Want to upgrade my macro light

AccessDenied wrote:
I was about to post a thread on this myself, I still might because I'm looking at a specific application, but this is what I'm considering at the moment:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1675591-REG/godox_mf_r76_macro_ring_flash.html

I have a Godox AD200 flash/strobe that I bought years ago. I've used it on a small soft box, and other modifiers, but for macro work, particularly in the field or backyard, it's quite cumbersome.

I've never had a ring-flash, but I'm interested in giving this a try. It's fully manual and should work with any camera that has a standard hot shoe mount...

I own 3 legacy, TTL-metered for film, ring flashes but I can't remember the last time I used one. (I don't know of anyone else posting here who uses one). They take up a huge proportion of your working distance at higher magnifications. If you must have shadowless lighting, a ring flash may be the answer. You can't use if for much other than macro whereas other flash units are versatile.

Harold

Mar 04, 2022 at 02:13 AM
AccessDenied
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Want to upgrade my macro light

e6filmuser wrote:
I own 3 legacy, TTL-metered for film, ring flashes but I can't remember the last time I used one. (I don't know of anyone else posting here who uses one). They take up a huge proportion of your working distance at higher magnifications. If you must have shadowless lighting, a ring flash may be the answer. You can't use if for much other than macro whereas other flash units are versatile.

Harold

For sure, I love my AD200. It's incredibly powerful and versatile with all of the accessories/attachments they have for it.
I wish they just had a ring flash head attachment with a cord that ran from the AD200 battery unit. Something I could screw onto my lens filter threads.

Mar 04, 2022 at 08:20 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.