New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Problems at MPB?

dshombert
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problems at MPB?

Don't know if this is the right place to post this or not, but is anyone else experiencing problems with photo gear retailer MPB? I've bought and sold from them a few times over the last couple of years and have always been satisfied, but my latest purchase has turned into a nightmare. Without going into all the nitty-gritty details, I haven't been able to contact them about an order I want to return (it's within the return period) and am getting frustrated. I send emails, I leave voice messages, I send more emails - nothing works. Sometimes the recorded answering service tells me to wait "for the next available rep", then a few minutes later tells me they can't answer the phone and I should send them an email. Well, email didn't work the first three times I tried it. I'm just not getting a response. Suggestions appreciated.

Mar 01, 2022 at 12:15 PM
dshombert
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problems at MPB?

Update: They finally contacted me today and we seem to be on track to resolving this. They sent me a return label with an acknowledgment that a credit will be issued. Also an acknowledgment that they are currently experiencing "an extreme backup". I'd guess that it's a little more complicated than that, but - whatever. I think they must have some pretty serious internal problems and I'd be reluctant to place another order until there's some reason to think they've resolved those issues.

Mar 01, 2022 at 05:23 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problems at MPB?

Communications with the US branch of mpb is like talking to someone on Pluto. It takes a day or longer to get any response. I believe all my chat and email conversations have gone through the UK. It appears to me that the US office is packing and shipping items but has no direct customer service. I have an unresolved return issue with mpb that is now over 30 days old. They acknowledged receipt of a returned item but credited me for a different order of a less expensive item.

Mar 06, 2022 at 08:28 PM
ghost123238
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problems at MPB?

I purchased a 200-500 from them a few years back they claimed it was in near perfect condition. Received the lens and it had mold and hair inside the glass. When I reached out instead of apologizing for a mistake they insisted I was wrong and wanted me to send pics. Needless to say I got a full refund after about 2-3 weeks. Long story short I will never use them again. For used I will stick with this forum or KEH or photomarket on Reddit.

Mar 08, 2022 at 08:21 AM
CHScamera

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problems at MPB?

I logged on to FM just to find someone else possibly experiencing issues as well with MPB - if you look, they have some absolutely stellar reviews.... If you look a little harder, they have some absolutely TERRIBLE reviews!

I wish I had done a little more research before I pulled the trigger on a recent camera purchase with expedited shipping, so far its 2 days late being sent and supposed to arrive tomorrow (which now will certainly not be happening). I am not ready to sound the alarm quite yet but I am already disappointed in the process and service for a big ticket camera body..

I even called my bank today to cancel the transaction but the payment had been processed (although not reflected in my order status for 2 days?) So here I wait..

Mar 16, 2022 at 08:14 PM
dshombert
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problems at MPB?

Here's the final disposition in my case: I sent my purchase back (once they finally sent me a return label), its receipt was acknowledged and signed for, with the promise that the refund would be issued in "2 to 3 days". When over a week had gone by, I emailed AGAIN and got an apologetic response with a promise that it would be resolved. The credit showed up on my credit card the next day.

It's impossible to tell what's at play here. These are hard times for a lot of businesses, and have some sympathy for that. At the same time, this was a $3k purchase and I was worried I'd have to go the route of contesting the original charge. I think my bank would have supported that - I had a thorough paper trail, with copies of all emails and all tracking statements showing delivery, etc. Whether all this happened because they're struggling due to covid issues OR because they're just incompetent & careless, I can't tell. But I think I'm done ordering from them.

Mar 16, 2022 at 08:51 PM
CHScamera

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problems at MPB?

I have an update today as well - my order was moved over to the "ready to pick" status last evening. After calling about a dozen times today, I got no reply. So I went to Instagram and shot them a DM which was answered within an hour. Shortly after, a prior email I had sent was replied to. About 3 hours later, I got a Fed Ex tracking number for an overnight shipment that I should receive tomorrow.

I was expecting the worst (pit in my stomach all day yesterday) and I won't feel completely comfortable until the product is in my hands in as stated condition - but this recent update has been a glimmer of hope for me.

All that goes to say - I probably will stick with KEH from now on until they get some help up there.

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:14 PM
Lt.Deadeye
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Problems at MPB?

Uh oh. I just sent an item back for return and yet another for sale. Their website says 4 days after receiving an item, they will contact you via email. FedEx has confirmed delivery. Well, it's now been 5 days but I'm giving slack because it's the weekend.

I've done business with them in the past and they've been stellar up till now.

Edit: They made things right.

Mar 26, 2022 at 04:09 PM
Shaun Nyc
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Problems at MPB?

Thanks for sharing your experience, it echo's similar experiences I have read about them. I was thinking about using them but will try KEH instead. I have bought from KEH and very happy w items but never sold to them.

May 08, 2022 at 10:09 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Problems at MPB?

Check out the differences between MPB and KEH in $$$ paid by Buyer as a function of taxes.

Anthony

May 08, 2022 at 02:33 PM
pressureworld

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Problems at MPB?

Recently I made a deal with MPB to sell a camera. I sent it in, and it took about a week for them to let me know the received it. After another three weeks I got tired of waiting for a quote and requested my camera back. They sent it back about a week later without any issues. MPB seems trustworthy, but it was very difficult to get anyone on the phone. I called about 12 different times before I reached someone.

May 27, 2022 at 02:08 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.