Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Is the OM-1 the MILC D500?

glassartist
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is the OM-1 the MILC D500?

I'm not a dedicated wildlife shooter - purely amateur, I only spend about two weeks a year shooting BIF but occasionally shoot dragonflies/bees and the odd duck the rest of the year, but I enjoy making those images. Back in the day, I had a choice of springing for the D500, or the EM1-II. I chose the D500 which I consider to be the right decision

I'm a longtime Nikon and M43 shooter so dual systems don't faze me.

Six years later . . . I'm pretty much fully immersed in the mirrorless world with a Z6/7 (along with a Pen-f and several lenses that I enjoy shooting), but I still have the D500 because nothing I have comes close to it's C-AF performance. The Z9 is both out of my comfort price range for the limited use I'd get out of it and yeah, I've come to love small compact camera bodies. Nikon may yet come out with a baby Z9 (either FF, 45mp or APS-C with 20mp - I don't really care) as well as some compact pf long lenses, but their timing and commitment isn't all that clear.

And up pops the OM-1. I'm not yet convinced that the IQ is going to meet FF and frankly the EM1-II is within a whisker of the performance of the D500 which is really good enough for my uses. But from the examples and more sober reviews I've seen, the AI tracking certainly looks impressive and a level above the D500. So I'm considering . . . m43 for long glass . . .

I know a number of you have used and use multiple systems. I was just wondering if any of you are mulling over the same equipment decisions or have you tied yourself to the mast against the OM-1 Siren Song . . .

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:38 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is the OM-1 the MILC D500?

I used to use Canon and still have a 5DsR (either for large print landscapes or with 100-400 often) but as age increased I picked up the Oly, especially for travel. I've had the EM1-II since it came out but declined the EM1-III uograde as too incremental. The X negated much of the size benefit of M43. The OM-1 , especially with a new sensor and AF and tracking system and a nice bump in computational tools, is my "goldilocks" upgrade - coupled with the Oly 300/4 and usually 1.4x for wildlife, otherwise the 12-100 is always on.

Feb 27, 2022 at 01:04 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is the OM-1 the MILC D500?

AJSJones wrote:
I used to use Canon and still have a 5DsR (either for large print landscapes or with 100-400 often) but as age increased I picked up the Oly, especially for travel. I've had the EM1-II since it came out but declined the EM1-III uograde as too incremental. The X negated much of the size benefit of M43. The OM-1 , especially with a new sensor and AF and tracking system and a nice bump in computational tools, is my "goldilocks" upgrade - coupled with the Oly 300/4 and usually 1.4x for wildlife, otherwise the 12-100 is always on.

Pretty much my experience. I did eventually get the EM1-II as well as the 12-100. I missed the resolution for landscape and picked up the Z7. I too skipped the EM1-III for exactly your reasons. The OM-1 would make a lot of sense when (and if) we ever get back to international travel again where for me the emphasis is on a compact system.

Feb 27, 2022 at 01:17 PM
JasonTheBirder
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is the OM-1 the MILC D500?

Like you I am also waiting for a mirrorless D500, and I also have a micro four thirds camera so I have some experience with both systems. However, what keeps me with Nikon is: (a) the lack of long prime lenses in micro four thirds (500 on a 20mp APS-C still provides more pixels on the subject than a 300 on micro four thirds, and I never use TCs, I hate them), (b) the upcoming 800PF, other PF lenses, (c) the ability to use ALL of those lenses on full-frame, in cases where I can fill the frame. Well, right now I prefer to use my D500 because it's the fastest and the Z9 is a bit steep for me, but I have hopes for Nikon and my D500 still has quite a bit of life left in it.

Feb 28, 2022 at 01:17 PM
Pwdrhound

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is the OM-1 the MILC D500?

glassartist wrote:
I'm not a dedicated wildlife shooter - purely amateur, I only spend about two weeks a year shooting BIF but occasionally shoot dragonflies/bees and the odd duck the rest of the year, but I enjoy making those images. Back in the day, I had a choice of springing for the D500, or the EM1-II. I chose the D500 which I consider to be the right decision

I'm a longtime Nikon and M43 shooter so dual systems don't faze me.

Six years later . . . I'm pretty much fully immersed in the mirrorless world with a Z6/7 (along with a Pen-f and
...Show more

In a similar situation as you. Been an Olympus user since E1, E3. Picked up an em1 mk1, reconditioned 20% off, so a great price a while back. A couple of years ago decided to get more into wildlife and/or BIF. This was around the launch time of EM1X and it looked promising. But, to get into that was a bit more cost. After a lot of looking and researching I picked up a great used d500 and a new 200-2500 for my wildlife kit. But still been on the fence. Have pre-ordered the OM1 and will see where it all takes me. The d500 likely isn't going anywhere in the short term. It will be interesting to do a side by side cmparison of the two. Though I don't have a comparable mft lens yet to compare with. Still have my legacy 43rd lenses; but am curious to see how my old 50-200 will work on the OM1.

Feb 28, 2022 at 01:50 PM
FrankA373
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is the OM-1 the MILC D500?

We had the D500 and D850 and the 200-500 and other lenses. Good stuff. It was heavy and my wife didn’t enjoy it. I didn’t care for the weight either. We switched to Olympus and haven’t looked back. I am sure the OM-1 with the 100-400 will be excellent.

Feb 28, 2022 at 02:30 PM
lanergan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is the OM-1 the MILC D500?

same with me: d810 & d500 + tamron 150-600 ... nice, big, and heavy .. sold them all. many folks will receive their om1 in a few days ... so we may hear from them soon.

Mar 03, 2022 at 09:14 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.