Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2022 · Who will replace/add OM-1?

MEDISN
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Who will replace/add OM-1?

galenapass wrote:

I agree. 'IF' it matches the R5, otherwise I have no interest. On another thread Arbitrage noted that the sensor readout of the OM1 will be similar to the R5. It is twice as slow as the A1.

Panasonic will be releasing a new camera next week. It will be interesting to see what they have as well. I could see myself getting a GH6 and a new copy of the Panny 100-400 as a light weight traveling kit, but again I don't want to compromise AFC. Otherwise I will just use the fantastic Sony 200-600.

Regarding sensor readout, I believe the R5 is 1/60s, as is the EM1II, EM1III and EM1X. Quite usable for most things. However OM1 readout is 1/120s which is 2X the R5 but still slower than A1, R3, Z9. What wonderful world we live in

GH6 photos circulating seem to show quite large body with built in cooling fan/ventilation (like the S1H). Unsure if they will make the jump to PDAF or stick to CDAF/DFD.

Feb 16, 2022 at 12:50 AM
visualpauses
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Who will replace/add OM-1?

MEDISN wrote:
Unsure if they will make the jump to PDAF or stick to CDAF/DFD.

Panasonic is rumoured to use DFD AI for the GH6, they claim a massive improvement in AI. Panasonic will almost never go to PDAF but seems like they have doubled down on improving the CAF. Only a week left now till we find out.

Feb 16, 2022 at 01:30 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Who will replace/add OM-1?

MEDISN wrote:
Regarding sensor readout, I believe the R5 is 1/60s, as is the EM1II, EM1III and EM1X. Quite usable for most things. However OM1 readout is 1/120s which is 2X the R5 but still slower than A1, R3, Z9. What wonderful world we live in

GH6 photos circulating seem to show quite large body with built in cooling fan/ventilation (like the S1H). Unsure if they will make the jump to PDAF or stick to CDAF/DFD.

"Regarding sensor readout, I believe the R5 is 1/60s, as is the EM1II, EM1III and EM1X." Sorry, I was talking about sensor readout speed not the time required to readout a sensor. For example, 45 MP in 1/60 sec is not the same readout speed as 20 MP in 1/60 sec. The R5 is reading out ~ twice as fast or about the same as the OM1.

Feb 16, 2022 at 09:37 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Who will replace/add OM-1?

1/60 s sensor readout time in my OM-D E-M1 II or III ruins about half my hummingbirds in flight images through rolling electronic shutter artifacts/distortions.

The Sony A9’s 1/160 s and the A1’s 1/240 s don’t exhibit the problem in any noticeable way.

Question then is: Is the OM-1”s 1/120 s or 1/125 s sensor readout time fast enough to avoid the problem, in particular as mechanical shutter FPS has been reduced compared to its predecessor cameras.

K-H.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:09 AM
MEDISN
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Who will replace/add OM-1?

k-h.a.w wrote:
1/60 s sensor readout time in my OM-D E-M1 II or III ruins about half my hummingbirds in flight images through rolling electronic shutter artifacts/distortions.

The Sony A9’s 1/160 s and the A1’s 1/240 s don’t exhibit the problem in any noticeable way.

Question then is: Is the OM-1”s 1/120 s or 1/125 s sensor readout time fast enough to avoid the problem, in particular as mechanical shutter FPS has been reduced compared to its predecessor cameras.

K-H.

Hummingbirds, sure, like I said, usable for most things at 1/60s (e.g. half of hummingbird shots)

I found the A9 able to do just about everything sports wise without distortion ruining a shot. Will 1/120 be close enough to 1/160? We'll see.

I am not aware that mechanical shutter performance has changed. It appears to be the same as EM1II, EM1III, EM1X although reviewers have said it is the quietest shutter in the line.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:26 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Who will replace/add OM-1?

MEDISN wrote:
Hummingbirds, sure, like I said, usable for most things at 1/60s (e.g. half of hummingbird shots)

I found the A9 able to do just about everything sports wise without distortion ruining a shot. Will 1/120 be close enough to 1/160? We'll see.

I am not aware that mechanical shutter performance has changed. It appears to be the same as EM1II, EM1III, EM1X although reviewers have said it is the quietest shutter in the line.

Thanks. I was only intending to comment on the FPS rate that the OM-1 can achieve with its mechanical shutter. I trust your comment about the shutter itself is correct.

K-H.

Feb 16, 2022 at 12:14 PM
Pwdrhound

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Who will replace/add OM-1?

Just pre-ordered the OM1. After seeing some more information coming out it really looks like there is a lot of improvement in AF speed and tracking.

I've been using Olympus since the E1. The only other time that I've purchased a new to the market model was the E3; and there was similar type of feeling as to the advancements at that time. Was it better than its competitors then (D300, 7D)? Don't know, but I loved my E3, especially the weatherproofing and combined with the quality of the 4/3rds lenses.

I took some time off from photography for a bit, but did pick up a reconditioned em1 mk for a good deal a bunch of years ago and like it. But, I never have upgraded lenses to mft; I'm mostly using my legacy 4/3rd lenses (50-200mk1, 14-54 mk1, 7-14 f4 pro, 50mm) which for most things at the time were adequate.

A couple of years ago I renewed my interest and decided to try and do more birds and wildlife. That was around the launch time for the EM1X. I went to a launch event and really liked it, the feel, the size, performance. But to really get the AF performance and reach I would have had to get the EM1X and the 300mm F4 pro. I just couldn't justify that expense at that time so after a lot of research, I decided on a used D500 (got a great deal and it only had 350 shutter actuations) and a new Nikon 200-500. It's a great combo for a lot less than EM1x and 300mm.

But, I've missed the Olympus interface and features, reduced size and confidence in weather sealing. I can run the OM1 and the Nikon side by side for a while and take advantage of the OM1 High resolution modes with my legacy lenses as I really don't have any need or intention to get a high res FF camera. But the high res mode is of interest for those times I want that extra resolution for a landscape shot. If it is in reality as good as it looks with respect to AF speed and tracking, then I can look at selling the d500 and 200-500 to finance some new mft lenses. The D500 really is a great camera, so might keep it as well!

Feb 21, 2022 at 04:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.