Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource
  

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

  

long lens macro

  
 
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · long lens macro


Does anyone still make a fixed focal length macro in the 150-200mm range other than irix?


Feb 14, 2022 at 02:02 PM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · long lens macro


Flowernut wrote:
Does anyone still make a fixed focal length macro in the 150-200mm range other than irix?


Try looking for 180mm.

Harold



Feb 16, 2022 at 11:16 AM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · long lens macro


various ones available used, tamron, sigma, canon, nikon...
Who is currently making one. None that I can find through google.



Feb 17, 2022 at 12:38 PM
J.K.T.
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · long lens macro


And you don't want the Irix if you want to shoot real macro pictures.


Mar 01, 2022 at 05:22 AM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · long lens macro


J.K.T. wrote:
And you don't want the Irix if you want to shoot real macro pictures.


Any specific reason?

I think it is the case, generally, that "macro" lenses of 150+ mm FL are unlikely to get a higher magnification than 1:1.

Harold



Mar 01, 2022 at 06:07 AM
J.K.T.
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · long lens macro


e6filmuser wrote:
Any specific reason?


https://www.closeuphotography.com/irix-150mm-macro-lens

Macro lenses are optimized for the close focus or at least roughly optimized over the whole focus ranges. Irix is not.



Mar 01, 2022 at 07:12 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · long lens macro


J.K.T. wrote:
https://www.closeuphotography.com/irix-150mm-macro-lens

Macro lenses are optimized for the close focus or at least roughly optimized over the whole focus ranges. Irix is not.


Thanks. A very useful review.

I looked this lens up 3 years ago, on a very well-known lens review site. It was a not a glowing report but it missed most of the faults.

It did recommend the Printing-Nikkor 150mm which I have but it is very heavy and difficult to use; My calibrations:


Extension mm Working Distance (No hood) mm FOV mm Mag
145, 390, 36, x0.5
225, 210, 17, x1
340, 155, 10, x1.7
385, 150, 8, x2

(The forum won't accept my spaced formatting).

Harold



Mar 01, 2022 at 11:31 AM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · long lens macro


e6filmuser wrote:
Any specific reason?

I think it is the case, generally, that "macro" lenses of 150+ mm FL are unlikely to get a higher magnification than 1:1.

Harold


Apparently the Irix has an effective focal length of inky about 70mm at 1:1; so itís a 150mm tele general purpose lens and a LifeSize short tele..

For long lens macro Iíd pick up a Sigma 150 or 180. They adapt nicely, and are very good, so long as you donít want rapid AF - I use mine on manual.
The canon 135 TSE is superb, but only goes to 1:2 (though the canon 1,4x TC gives more magnification and more reach.m)



Apr 14, 2022 at 08:14 AM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · long lens macro


DavidBM wrote:
Apparently the Irix has an effective focal length of inky about 70mm at 1:1; so itís a 150mm tele general purpose lens and a LifeSize short tele..

For long lens macro Iíd pick up a Sigma 150 or 180. They adapt nicely, and are very good, so long as you donít want rapid AF - I use mine on manual.
The canon 135 TSE is superb, but only goes to 1:2 (though the canon 1,4x TC gives more magnification and more reach.m)


It's good to see that you use a TC. I use a dedicated one often with my main macro lens, an Olympus 4/3 (adapted) 50mm f2 macro,



Apr 14, 2022 at 08:28 AM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · long lens macro


e6filmuser wrote:
It's good to see that you use a TC. I use a dedicated one often with my main macro lens, an Olympus 4/3 (adapted) 50mm f2 macro,


Very handy especially for 1:2 macros that are otherwise superb or have specialty features (like tilt) you canít get in higher magnification lenses.

Less ideal for 1:1 lenses, because at higher magnification than that, the reduction in effective aperture starts to make diffraction softening really visible.



Apr 14, 2022 at 04:27 PM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · long lens macro


If you want to try high magnification tilt, the Schneider HM 90 has a large image circle and tilt adapters are available.

Diffraction blur can largely be dealt with via micro contrast adjustment.

Harold



Apr 14, 2022 at 11:38 PM
bobhandal1
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · long lens macro


I love my 60-600mm Sigma as a long distance 1:3 macro, sometimes I use an extension tube for more magnification, although I am scared to do this often due to the huge weight.


May 08, 2022 at 07:09 AM







FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password