Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

DGNikon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

Sadly, just reversing my nifty fifty doesn't work- aperture is closed and stays closed even if set open in camera. Power off- it closes up.

I talked to a lens pro the other day. He said that I could reverse mount a 28mm lens on top of the 50mm. So the 50mm goes on the camera the regular way- everything works electrically. He said, then I reverse mount a manually controlled 28mm (NOT NIKON.) It will face the 50mm lens. I think he said I need a step ring adapter.

I'm just getting into Macro. I recently bought a nice tripod, ball head, level base and a focus rail. I have not even taken my first shot yet.

Questions...

1. Will this work?
2. If yes, any recommendations on 28mm lenses (is that the best size?)
3. I have a kit lens 18-140mm Nikkor- should I use this one or the 50mm?
4. Should I just buy the purpose built APO Venus Laowa 100mm- I would rather save the $500 if the results will be "close enough." It's a nice lens that gives you 2:1 macro but it has ZERO communication with the camera. For most macro that's fine but for $500- no AF at times will be inconvenient. It remains an option. The lens has no stability control and neither does my camera.
5. Should I buy a clip on Raynox and just use that on my 18-140? I heard they require a min. of 100mm.

***I ordered some Kenko extension tubes. They will allow communication with the 50mm lens or the 18-140 (elec. connections.)

Which combination of the above do you think makes the most sense? Again, I am ok buying the 100mm lens but if any of the other ideas will get me "close" maybe I can save a few bucks!

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2022 at 03:36 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

I would start off with the extension tubes and the 50mm lens. Using all the ext tubes would get you to around 1.5:1 magnification.

You may find this a useful read
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=807056

Brian V.

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:54 AM
DGNikon

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

Thanks. I tried the tubes when they arrived yesterday on my 50mm D5500. The pics came out surprisingly very nice. Great article- very informative.

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:31 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

DGNikon wrote:
Sadly, just reversing my nifty fifty doesn't work- aperture is closed and stays closed even if set open in camera. Power off- it closes up.

Nikon F or AI legacy lenses respond to the aperture ring when reversed.

Harold

Feb 14, 2022 at 02:28 AM
DGNikon

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

My 50mm does not have an aperture ring. If it's mounted in reverse it gives an error message- "No lens is attached- Manual only." Same story if you try to use a non compatible or non-CPU lens. The camera is intentionally crippled. It barely lets you take a shot and only in manual. You get little to no usable data either. It's their way of making you buy their lenses and staying current (firmware, etc.)

Feb 14, 2022 at 07:50 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

DGNikon wrote:
My 50mm does not have an aperture ring. If it's mounted in reverse it gives an error message- "No lens is attached- Manual only." Same story if you try to use a non compatible or non-CPU lens. The camera is intentionally crippled. It barely lets you take a shot and only in manual. You get little to no usable data either. It's their way of making you buy their lenses and staying current (firmware, etc.)

That should not stop you using a legacy lens.

Harold

Feb 14, 2022 at 08:40 AM
DGNikon

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

I could but to only do so with ~10% functionality doesn't make sense to me and especially if I am paying $499 (price of the Laowa 100mm macro lens.)

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:45 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

DGNikon wrote:
I could but to only do so with ~10% functionality doesn't make sense to me and especially if I am paying $499 (price of the Laowa 100mm macro lens.)

? You lost me there!

Anyway, when you put a lens B, reversed or not, on the front of lens A it is the quality of lens B which determines that of the setup. So you won't be getting the value of your expensive prime lens.

Incidentally, a 200mm, or so, is the preferred FL for lens A in for such a setup.

Harold

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DGNikon

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

I was referring if I only used one lens and reversed it on the camera.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:07 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

DGNikon wrote:
I was referring if I only used one lens and reversed it on the camera.

Understood now.

Harold

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:51 PM
gmwyatt

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

You will learn a lot using extension tubes and your 50 mm using various combinations of tube lengths. The image quality may not be as good as a true macro lens, but you'll get a feel for close-up/macro work. My 20+ year-old Kenko tubes are 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm--you can get a number of magnification factors by stacking the tubes, plus your 50 mm acts like a 75 mm because you're shooting DX. And try using tubes with your 18-140 at various focal lengths. Also, buy a couple of small LED light panels instead of using flash to learn about lighting angles, fill light, and understanding how much light is lost by extending the lens away from the camera body.

You might even consider buying a set of close-up lenses (they're threaded like filters) and use them on your existing lenses. The advantage is there's no decrease in effective f-stop to get closer to the subject.

Don't bother with reversed lenses. Decide on what type of macro lens you want to buy, learn how to use it, and then think about attaching a reversed lens.

FYI, I first used extension tubes on an Exacta VX body 50 years ago with 35, 50, and 135 mm lenses; nothing was automatic. My favorite macro lens is a 1965-vintage Micro-Nikkor Auto 55 mm f/3.5 (comp) that was passed down from my father to me--you don't need to buy the latest and greatest. Once the macro bug bites, you may find that you want to buy a different camera body along with a new lens.

Good luck with your efforts.

Glen

Feb 15, 2022 at 06:09 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

gmwyatt wrote:
You might even consider buying a set of close-up lenses (they're threaded like filters) and use them on your existing lenses. The advantage is there's no decrease in effective f-stop to get closer to the subject.

Yes, but only top quality or the images will suffer.

Harold

Feb 16, 2022 at 04:05 AM
samsdad
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

gmwyatt wrote:
. . . plus your 50 mm acts like a 75 mm because you're shooting DX. . . .

Glen

That's not correct.

It's a frequently used bit of "advice" that is usually (mis)stated as, "A 50mm lens on a DX camera becomes a 75mm lens."

There is nothing that a camera can do to any lens to change its focal length. A 50mm lens on *any* camera is always a 50mm lens. A 35mm lens is always a 35mm lens. A 105mm lens is always a 105mm lens. All that changes is the angle of view that the *sensor* can record.

(It's assumed that any lens we're talking about can cover both formats. A FF 50mm lens can fully cover both FF and DX sensors. A 50mm DX-only lens has an image circle too small to fully illuminate a FF sensor, so it's out of the discussion for reasons having nothing to do with this explanation)

Using the image diagonal of a DX camera, vs the diagonal of a FF camera as a reference, a 50mm lens on a DX camera gives an angle of view about equal to that *of a 75mm lens on FF*.

Angle of view changes.

That's all.

Nothing changes about the focal length. Or anything about optical characteristics.

Nothing.

If you define an area in the center of the FF sensor exactly the same size as a DX sensor, that area will contain an image exactly the same as the one that would fall on a DX sensor. The FF sensor simply has additional image outside that area. It is able to capture the wider angle of view that the DX sensor can't. So the lens is more of a "wide angle lens on the FF than it is on the DX. Or stated the other way, the same lens has a more narrow angle of view on the DX than it has on the FF. But it's not a 75mm lens on the DX.

The confusion happens when the DX image and FF images get enlarged to the same physical size. Imagine both images in "landscape orientation" being displayed or printed so that their short dimension is 10" (a monitor or a print). The FF image will be enlarged 10X and the "wider image area" that it contains will fill the 10" dimension, leaving its central "DX sized portion," smaller.

The DX image will be enlarged 15X, filling the 10" dimension and will appear to be a "crop" of the FF image and will look larger (as though it was taken with a longer lens).

The FF image could just as easily be enlarged 15X, loosing the "extra field of view" beyond the 10" dimension, resulting in an identical image.

Compare the image from the DX sensor, to the image from the "DX-sensor-size-area-of-the-FF-sensor" and all optical attributes will be exactly the same. For instance, DoF. If the pixel density of both sensors are the same, the two images will be identical. If the pixel densities are different, that factor may be noticeable, but all optical characteristics of the images will be identical.

Rich

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:00 PM
gmwyatt

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

Rich,

I agree with youóthe focal length never changes. I should have said that the 50 mm lens on a DX (16x24 mm) sensor has the same apparent field of view as a 75 mm lens on a FX (full frame, 24x36 mm) body. For example, a 55 mm Micro-Nikkor set to Ĺ life size and mounted on a D500 (DX body) has a field of view of ~48 mm. The same lens and settings on a D850 (FX body) yields a field of view of ~72 mm. Both fields of view are Ĺ life size for their respective formats. But the field of view in the FX format is 1.5x larger than the DX format field of view.

To get the 48 mm field of view (i.e., 0.75x) with the full-frame body and that lens one needs about a 12 mm extension. I had to try it and no, I didnít try reverse mounting the lens to the body or to the extension tube. Interesting thing is the PB-6 bellows plus that lens doesnít appear to allow 0.75x magnification, either with the lens normally mounted, with the lens reversed using a BR-2A, or attached to the bellows with the front standard reversed. The rear standard mount is too thick (you don't need an extension tube on the rear standard to mount a DSLR to the PB-6, as some people think).

One other thought--in all these threads with DGNikon, I donít think anybody has mentioned the DX Micro Nikkor 40 mm f/2.8 G lens as a possible choice for use on a DX-format camera.

Glen

Feb 18, 2022 at 02:52 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

The crop factor doesn't affect the "speed" of a lens either. A lens with maximum aperture of f2.8 retains that but the effective aperture, of any set, and DOF, will be affected by the above explanations.

Harold

Feb 18, 2022 at 03:05 AM
daverazzi

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Using two lens on my Nikon D5500

I have read your few post quick and easy answer if you are new to macro get the laowa 100mm macro and be done. Itís a fantastic lens! I havenít used my Nikon 105 since Iíve gotten the laowa. The extra magnification is nice if needed. Itís a quick and easy to use lens. You will next need to figure out a way to defuse your flash. That is one of the most important parts of macro photography in my opinion. Best of luck. I added a photo I where I used the laowa on an extremely tiny ground spider crab. This is at 2:1 magnification

Apr 04, 2022 at 01:02 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password