Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2022 · 2022 | notes from the field

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 2022 | notes from the field

I'm still reaching for the 135L for toasts, smaller ceremonies, and extreme compression posed work. The RF Big White is ... (yawn) Big White. Functional, not seductive (to my eyes). On our team is a copy of each EF version and I can see no strong difference editing on a 6k/218ppi monitor. I encourage photographers to upgrade their 70-200 last and I'm not 100% certain I'm going to keep the ƒ2.8 for the longhaul. The ƒ4 RF model also got a huge weight/size reduction now takes up the same bag space as a 35L II (with adaptor) !!! We have one out as a loaner that may come back to me before the end of the year.

I know the 135L is a 25+ year old optic, but it's the best of Canon's legacy glass. Whip snap AF, super sharp with just the smallest hint of purple/green fringe.

The RF 24-70L has a few surprises, but it's not the magic of the bigger ƒ2.0 mid-zoom. Of note, the new 24-70 does super helpful close focusing. Minimum focus distance got cut in half (wow). Helps a lot photographing 'stuff' on wedding day. Nikon's 24-70 S is really nice and the images are a joy to see — I'm not sure the Canon variant is in the same league, but it's early days. The 28-70 is the elephant in the room I'm going to ignore until next Spring (another year's capital expenditure - give my wallet a rest).

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:47 PM
bballfreak6
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 2022 | notes from the field

The 135L's a phenomenal lens; I tried my mate's copy and it's great, so light weight too.

I did however buy the Sigma 135 Art though when it came out as I do personally consider it to be superior optically and I was able to get it cheaper than the 135L (mate's rates at the camera store he works at), weight didn't bother me much especially being more of a specialty lens.

In saying that I have considered selling it due to now owning the 105 Art as well but the 135's still such a great lens for astro too and easier to pack compared to the 105 argh haha.

My EF 70-200 2.8 II's pretty much been delegated for full time astro use these days.

Aug 17, 2022 at 02:33 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 2022 | notes from the field

One downside of the mirrorless revolution is the majority are younger wedding photographers are walking around shooting their SLR cameras like an iPhone — holding it out at arm's length composing with the chimp screen.

When your arms, back and shoulders give out, I have a great personal trainer / physical therapist that will take your money. :=)

My body didn't need professional help until I hit my mid-50's, but these arms-length shooters? They won't make it 10 years with that posture.

Sep 05, 2022 at 10:57 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 2022 | notes from the field

To me….. it is the funniest thing to see.

Sep 05, 2022 at 04:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.