1       2       3              19      
       end

Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #1 · p.20 #1 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

highdesertmesa wrote:
Versatility/adaptability of the mount is another – the Sony will only work on Sony, but a Leica M mount lens is nearly universal when it comes to mirrorless systems.

I see the CV 50 f/1 being a compliment to a system's native pro f/1.2 lens. I would use the CV when I want the manual focus experience and the native lens when I needed AF or the ultimate in IQ.

I've tried the CV 50/1 on the Sony sensor and the FC gets amplified further. Having said that, outwards FC is a characteristic of this lens, even when used on the M.
At 482 grams, it can be used with the new TAP EA9 AF adapter without any issues -- adding to its versatility.

Aug 07, 2022 at 12:19 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.20 #2 · p.20 #2 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've tried the CV 50/1 on the Sony sensor and the FC gets amplified further. Having said that, outwards FC is a characteristic of this lens, even when used on the M.
At 482 grams, it can be used with the new TAP EA9 AF adapter without any issues -- adding to its versatility.

Regarding the outward FC: In the shots I've taken at f/2-f/4, it appears focus is super sharp at the edges and softer at mid/center, and I was wondering if that means the focus plane toward the center is actually pushed slightly behind infinity in that situation. Would adapting it to a non-M platform where focus often can go a bit past infinity help the center of the frame at those apertures at infinity distance?

Aug 07, 2022 at 09:57 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.20 #3 · p.20 #3 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

highdesertmesa wrote:
Regarding the outward FC: In the shots I've taken at f/2-f/4, it appears focus is super sharp at the edges and softer at mid/center, and I was wondering if that means the focus plane toward the center is actually pushed slightly behind infinity in that situation. Would adapting it to a non-M platform where focus often can go a bit past infinity help the center of the frame at those apertures at infinity distance?

I've only tested this wide open but here is a difference in field curvature shape when the Voigtlander 50/1 is used on a Sony vs Leica M sensor stack:
(1.5 to 7 meter)
On the Sony, the shape gets more wavy at long distance.

Aug 07, 2022 at 11:20 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.20 #4 · p.20 #4 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

A few random shots with this lens

LEICA M11    uncoded lens lens    f/1.0    1/6400s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11    uncoded lens lens    f/1.4    1/500s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

LEICA M11    uncoded lens lens    f/1.0    1/16000s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11    uncoded lens lens    f/1.0    1/16000s    64 ISO    +0.7 EV  

LEICA M11    uncoded lens lens    f/4.8    1/400s    64 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Aug 07, 2022 at 11:20 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.20 #5 · p.20 #5 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've only tested this wide open but here is a difference in field curvature shape when the Voigtlander 50/1 is used on a Sony vs Leica M sensor stack:
(1.5 to 7 meter)
On the Sony the shape gets more wavy at long distance.

Wow, huge difference. Dang.

Evidently I had the term "outward FC" backward in my head, thinking it curved the other way. So on the M when the edges are super sharp and the center is a bit softer, that means sharper infinity focus in the center could be achieved by focusing slightly before infinity. I'll try that out today.

Aug 07, 2022 at 11:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.20 #6 · p.20 #6 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

Just tested infinity focus point.

At f/1, infinity is definitely at the hard stop.

At f/2.8 through f/8, infinity focus is just to the left of the hard stop – when the white dot is in the middle of the left side of the infinity symbol. When watching focus peaking (green/high in my case), the moment that infinity lights up, that's infinity – It's misleading because focus peaking gets even stronger when the focus ring is turned further all the way to the hard stop. This is one lens that makes me wish the Visoflex 2 was higher resolution like the SL EVFs.

Also, there is a sliver of mid frame that never fully sharpens to match the center until f/8.

I think for me this means for infinity shooting, I will shoot at f/1 for effect or at f/8 for IQ. Probably simpler just to reacquire the CV 50 APO for landscape. I just hate the narrow/long lens body of the CV 50 APO, which reminds me of an empty toilet paper roll. Maybe I would prefer the Leica 50 APO then.

Aug 07, 2022 at 06:09 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.20 #7 · p.20 #7 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

Perhaps of interest to some people. Matt Osborne on which Voiglander 50mm lens is best on the Leica M:

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:34 AM
ftllens
• • •
p.20 #8 · p.20 #8 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

I like his reviews and I would agree for the most part. The CV 50 1.2 is the best for most people.

The only thing I would add is that halation is easily added in post for glow (and to be fair so is bokeh nowadays) and the TTA 50 0.95 the balance feels distracting vs the CV 1.0 which has a really nice balance and handling to it.

Plus he's right for street cred, you get to say F1 as well

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:00 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.20 #9 · p.20 #9 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

I do like watching Matt Osborne’s Voigtlander reviews. I believe that I made the correct choice, in my case, buying the Nokton f/1.0, because I tend to like lenses with some amount of diameter and heft, and wanted that full stop more light, for my M10 and M Type 246 cameras, in some conditions. I already had Summilux-M ASPH, Summicron Version IV, and Elmar-M 50mm Leica lenses, and so the Nokton f/1.0 offered something completely different. Moreover, I liked the images I had seen posted on this site, and am liking the images I am getting, now.

Yes, I am accumulating 50mm M-mount lenses!

If I need “perfect” images, adding the 50mm APO VM would make sense, but, for now, I am more inclined to want a “perfect” 35mm lens, and I have that, with the Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM, “close enough to perfect, for me,” as the song says…

Aug 12, 2022 at 04:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.20 #10 · p.20 #10 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton Review

I was told that production for the Voigtlander 50/1 Nokton has been pushed back to the end of October now.
It's a popular lens for Cosina.

Aug 12, 2022 at 06:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password