Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
17
       end
  

FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton

  
 
goodbokeh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


I can't find any any tests or findings with the 50 f/1 Nokton on SL/SL-2/SL-2S bodies. I wonder if the same (surprising) issue of low edge IQ on non-M bodies with the Voigtlander 50 f/2 VM APO Lanthar would repeat here? The thought of the 50 f/1 Nokton on both my M10M and a SL-2S has me intrigued.


Apr 20, 2022 at 12:49 PM
LarsHP
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


goodbokeh wrote:
I can't find any any tests or findings with the 50 f/1 Nokton on SL/SL-2/SL-2S bodies. I wonder if the same (surprising) issue of low edge IQ on non-M bodies with the Voigtlander 50 f/2 VM APO Lanthar would repeat here? The thought of the 50 f/1 Nokton on both my M10M and a SL-2S has me intrigued.


Here's one with the SL2 shot wide open at a relatively long distance. The post before this one is a portrait in B&W.
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/327343-voigtlander-50mm-f1-vm/page/8/#comment-4422664

Link to image if you aren't a member of the forum there:







Apr 25, 2022 at 01:39 PM
goodbokeh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


The boulder on the left picture edge looks nicely detailed. The photos look wonderful, thanks Lars :-)


Apr 25, 2022 at 02:11 PM
LarsHP
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


goodbokeh wrote:
The boulder on the left picture edge looks nicely detailed. The photos look wonderful, thanks Lars :-)


I am impressed with the degree of blur in the central part of the image. I would really have liked to love that lens, because I have been on the hunt for a good quality 50mm f/1 lens for several years, but unfortunately the Nokton f/1 has too much outward bending field curvature and too much vignetting. I also don't like the outlining of the bokeh balls in this image.



Apr 25, 2022 at 02:20 PM
goodbokeh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


Field curvature and vignetting wide open is never absent with any of these f1.0/0.95 lenses. Yes, I noticed the outlining of the bokeh balls also but the intense highlights are a very tough test. I could get the Sony 50/1.2 GM for my A1, that lens would answer all of your performance standards. But it just doesn't appeal to me, go figure.


Apr 25, 2022 at 02:40 PM
LarsHP
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


Vignetting is unavoidable for sure, but when we have both extremely high vignetting and strong outward bending field curvature (at medium to short focus distances) put together, then I am out.

goodbokeh wrote:
Field curvature and vignetting wide open is never absent with any of these f1.0/0.95 lenses. Yes, I noticed the outlining of the bokeh balls also but the intense highlights are a very tough test. I could get the Sony 50/1.2 GM for my A1, that lens would answer all of your performance standards. But it just doesn't appeal to me, go figure.




Apr 25, 2022 at 02:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


Cameraquest just told me that the Voigtlander 50/1 Nokton is finally in stock!
https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtlander-leica-mount-lenses/voigtlander-50mm-f/1.0-leica-m-nokton-asph/



May 18, 2022 at 06:00 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

petermendelson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


Picked up the 50mm f/1 to use with my M11 (and SL2-S). Very happy with it based on my first outing with the M11. Some sample pics here: https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/dc8328af00cc41d1b579bb0b62fd2bd8

I also have the Leica 50mm f/2 APO M, which I like better for traveling light, but I don't feel like the APO blows the CV away or anything.



May 20, 2022 at 06:43 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


petermendelson wrote:
Picked up the 50mm f/1 to use with my M11 (and SL2-S). Very happy with it based on my first outing with the M11. Some sample pics here: https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/dc8328af00cc41d1b579bb0b62fd2bd8

I also have the Leica 50mm f/2 APO M, which I like better for traveling light, but I don't feel like the APO blows the CV away or anything.


Some nice examples. I especially like the Hi Life pic.



May 20, 2022 at 09:45 PM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


I have been following Camera Quest’s evil-bay store, as a way to monitor the availability of the 50mm f/1.0 and 21mm f/1.4 Noktons. I saw the 50mm f/1.0 appear in my feed, several days ago. I saw that there was only one 21mm Nokton remaining, in stock. This morning, rather than continue to struggle with which one to buy, first, I ordered one of each.




May 24, 2022 at 11:16 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


https://www.unperfect01.com/blog/lesa-maest-recensione-voigtlander-50-f10-lese-majesty-voigtlander-50-f10-review

Some of these look just like 6x7 medium format film (minus the aspect ratio).



Jun 26, 2022 at 05:08 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


A remarkable photographic review of a remarkable lens.


Jun 26, 2022 at 08:07 PM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


philip_pj wrote:
A remarkable photographic review of a remarkable lens.


Gotta hand it to the Italians… this Nokton 50/1.0 review by Federico Zaza is an excellent complement to Flavio Bosi’s epic Leica M 50mm lens comparison:
https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-1
https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-2
https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-3
https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-4



Jun 27, 2022 at 06:22 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · FM Review: Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton


philip_pj wrote:
A remarkable photographic review of a remarkable lens.


One of the things I appreciate the most about this review is the restraint to not over-process the samples with regard to contrast and clarity. It's exhausting trying to weed through user samples and disregard them for this reason (for the purposes of lens evaluation, not artistic value).



Jun 27, 2022 at 10:58 AM
1       2       3              16      
17
       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
17
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password