SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

genji wrote:
(CV, he means you.)

Especially cause Zeiss seems to have croaked lol

Can't you see Leica releasing just such a lens and charging $4,500 with all sorts of fancy marketing?

Mar 15, 2022 at 10:56 PM
genji
• • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:

Can't you see Leica releasing just such a lens and charging $4,500 with all sorts of fancy marketing?

Nah, my guess is that Leica is concentrating its efforts on the $18,000 APO-Noctilux-M 50/1.1, whose name alone provides all the fancy marketing needed.

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:11 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I shot my copy a bit. The glow is pretty minimal compared to my vintage glass, and the bokeh and contrast WO are also better, so it doesn’t have an old school draw, but it does have a very smooth modern pleasant look. Therefore I see it as a complement but not replacement for older glass. Great for the price/size/specs. Funny how a 3rd party figured this out—you’d think a propriety maker would make this (small 50/1.1, acceptable sharpness with smooth bokeh all over) and sell like hot cakes.

The fake hood and filtering (on the m-mount) is dumber than I
...Show more

Excellent pics! What do you mean by fake hood and filtering?

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:56 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

Desmolicious wrote:
Excellent pics! What do you mean by fake hood and filtering?

The m-mount appears to be a retractable hood, but it doesn’t extend/retract. That isn’t really an issue, though it’s silly IMO—the lens is a Leica copy. But that “hood” extends too far, obstructing the threading, so you cannot actually filter without smushing your fingers on the glass and screwing the filter on by spinning the filter with finger on the glass because the hood disallows one from using your fingers on the side (like 99% of lenses). Functionally, think of it as a wide with permanent hood, but not pedal shaped, complete covering easy typical front elements access, but it’s not a bulbous element.

Edit: Thanks for the kind word in the pics

Edited on Mar 16, 2022 at 01:45 PM · View previous versions

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:41 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
The m-mount appears to be a retractable hood, but it doesn’t extend/retract. That isn’t really an issue, though it’s silly IMO—the lens is a Leica copy. But that “hood” extends too far, obstructing the threading, so you cannot actually filter without smushing your fingers on the glass and screwing the filter on by spinning the filter with finger on the glass because the hood disallows one from using your fingers on the side (like 99% of lenses). Functionally, think of it as a wide with permanent hood, but not pedal shaped, complete covering easy typical front elements access, but it’s
...Show more

Thanks! Wow, what a strange design decision.

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:46 PM
markhout
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

Confirmed. It is a regular filter thread, but pretty deep inside - see the screw-in lenscap.

Just took delivery today - UK domestic!

IMG_20220316_175804 by Mark Houtzager, on Flickr

IMG_20220316_175840 by Mark Houtzager, on Flickr

Mar 16, 2022 at 01:08 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

I would like to see the coverage of this on a GFX. Can anyone oblige?

Mar 16, 2022 at 04:41 PM
markhout
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Regardless of the price, the Syoptic seems to be a solid choice for those who want a super fast 50mm and enjoy the way it renders.

Any thoughts / tests on which in-camera lens profile to use with the Syoptic - or a similar profile in Adobe LR / RAW?

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2022 at 08:54 AM
markhout
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

Both M240, wide open, Hoya ND 8x filter.

L1001661.jpg by Mark Houtzager, on Flickr

L1001657.jpg by Mark Houtzager, on Flickr

Mar 21, 2022 at 04:06 PM
markhout
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

Hmm as far as I am concerned my initial enthusiasm has somewhat waned.

This is the last image I took - only my 10th or so - after this one the focus ring came entirely loose and needed urgent tightening. Luckily the screws in the focus ring match the mini screwdriver that Syoptic provided in the box...

It also seems that the focal plane of the lens is not parallel to the sensor. The left side of each image is slightly out of focus at all distances, all apertures.

Lesson learned! Oh well I must say that the optical and physical character of my 7artisan 28mm 1.4 keeps blowing me away. There is hope for chi-lenses!

Oxford, M240, Syoptic 50mm 1.1 wide open. ND filter x8, Noctilux 50mm 1.1 profile, Silver Efex Pro

May 01, 2022 at 12:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BastianK
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

markhout wrote:
after this one the focus ring came entirely loose and needed urgent tightening. Luckily the screws in the focus ring match the mini screwdriver that Syoptic provided in the box...

Happened to me too, have been told they are using different/more durable screws now.

May 03, 2022 at 12:47 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

BastianK wrote:
Happened to me too, have been told they are using different/more durable screws now.

I also had this happen twice now. I have had to tighten screws as the ring started to wobble after having the lens less than a couple weeks and using it only 2/3 times at that point.

May 03, 2022 at 01:07 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I also had this happen twice now. I have had to tighten screws as the ring started to wobble after having the lens less than a couple weeks and using it only 2/3 times at that point.

I don't treat my gear exactly nicely and this also happened to me on MS-Optics (2.4/135, 1.0/50, 1.1/50) as well as Canon lenses (TS-E 17mm).
But here it seems to be a more frequent issue and a drop of Loctite in the factory might have been a good idea.

May 03, 2022 at 01:26 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

BastianK wrote:
I don't treat my gear exactly nicely and this also happened to me on MS-Optics (2.4/135, 1.0/50, 1.1/50) as well as Canon lenses (TS-E 17mm).
But here it seems to be a more frequent issue and a drop of Loctite in the factory might have been a good idea.

I have only had one other lens have a mechanical issue in the first couple weeks. Despite the using all variety of lenses, the MS-Optical 24/2 I had was bad out of the box, so even a bit sooner than this. But that lens was way more expensive. I don't expect as much when I don't pay as much. So, I was not overly bothered by the Syoptic. The 24/2 I returned though.

May 03, 2022 at 01:59 AM
KLaban
• •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

I'm wondering what version or versions of the lens you guys are using when experiencing these problems? I'm using the Nikon Z mount version and so far have had no problems.

I bought this lens to achieve a certain look and have to say it does deliver.

Turn away if you don't like character!

Nikon Z7, ISO 200, f/1.1, 1/320s.

Nikon Z7, ISO 80, f/8, 1/320s

May 03, 2022 at 03:04 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

KLaban wrote:

I'm wondering what version or versions of the lens you guys are using when experiencing these problems? I'm using the Nikon Z mount version and so far have had no problems.

I bought this lens to achieve a certain look and have to say it does deliver.

Turn away if you don't like character!

https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Shoes_large.jpg

Nikon Z7, ISO 200, f/1.1, 1/320s.

https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Claw_large.jpg

Nikon Z7, ISO 80, f/8, 1/320s

M-mount for me

May 03, 2022 at 09:37 AM
E1ho

p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

It seems that tilted focus plane issue is common for this lens. I got this lens which had that issue and I thought this caused by decentering of lens elements. I sent it back and got a new one. It has same problem! This time I tried to figure out what's the reason for this and I did it. It was not because of faulty lens elements. Faulty helicoid was the reason. The focus ring unit holds the lens mount and it isn't parellel to the front barrel which holds whole lens elemets. I wonder if the seller could fix this or not.

May 17, 2022 at 09:56 PM
LarsHP
• •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

This, in my experience, is common - at least regarding M mount lenses. I have made it a routine checking for tilt and swing on every lens I get, and many lenses will need some kind of correction. I don't use M cameras, so the adapter could be the problem, but since the correction isn't consistent, at least some of the corrections must be the lenses. We are talking about 0.1mm here, so only the thickness of a piece of paper, but it is enough to show in images, particularly with wide angle lenses.

E1ho wrote:
It seems that tilted focus plane issue is common for this lens. I got this lens which had that issue and I thought this caused by decentering of lens elements. I sent it back and got a new one. It has same problem! This time I tried to figure out what's the reason for this and I did it. It was not because of faulty lens elements. Faulty helicoid was the reason. The focus ring unit holds the lens mount and it isn't parellel to the front barrel which holds whole lens elemets. I wonder if the seller could fix
...Show more

May 18, 2022 at 02:10 AM
E1ho

p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

I also use this on sony so the M mount adapter was my first guess. But It didn't show that problem with other M mount lens. Besides, I once disassembled the mount ring of the lens and spun it to the opposite direction, then the tilted(misfocused) part of the image was also turned the same direction. Most of all, I can see the misalign between focus ring and front barrel. it might be above 0.1mm

LarsHP wrote:
This, in my experience, is common - at least regarding M mount lenses. I have made it a routine checking for tilt and swing on every lens I get, and many lenses will need some kind of correction. I don't use M cameras, so the adapter could be the problem, but since the correction isn't consistent, at least some of the corrections must be the lenses. We are talking about 0.1mm here, so only the thickness of a piece of paper, but it is enough to show in images, particularly with wide angle lenses.

May 18, 2022 at 10:25 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:

True for stills, but their cine Supreme line shows they do still care about optics. They aren't lenses I could ever justify owning, but, man, are they stunning.

May 18, 2022 at 10:46 PM
1       2       3              5      
       7              9       10       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              9       10       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password