Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              9       10       end
  

SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review

  
 
CheshireCat
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


BastianK wrote:
This guy here compared it to the Leica Noctiluxes 50mm 1.0 and 50mm 1.2, at around 2:38 you see them side by side:




I am puzzled about the bokeh at time 2:00 in the video.
The lens wide open at f/1.1 renders a slightly smaller disk than the Noctilux f/1.2 wide open.



Jan 31, 2022 at 11:56 AM
KLaban
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


Can anyone offer opinion on the differences between the VM f/1.1 version and the Nikon Z f/2 version of this lens? I intend to use the lens on Nikon Z bodies but already have a VM adapter and so could use either. Are the lenses optically identical (apart from maximum aperture)? Which would be preferable and why?

Thanks in advance.



Jan 31, 2022 at 12:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review




@BastianK,
Your review plus this video provide a clear idea of how this lens performs. I really like what I see in terms of IQ and rendering for a very attractive price. Like you wrote, rendering is pleasant, thanks to the lack of aspherical elements and likely low field curvature. The lens seems to be capable of very decent resolution at center even wide open as long as the subject is not too close in order to avoid SA.
There are negatives though, like strong veiling flare against the light and craftsmanship compared to Leica and Voigtlander lenses but I think the low price more than compensates for that. The ability to tweak calibration is a big plus and I wish Voigtlander would start featuring this in their lenses where I see a lot of mis-calibration.

Price aside, I would still prefer the Voigtlander 50/1.2 Nokton over this lens though. It's better built and rendering is just as attractive. I also think the Nokton is sharper at mid and especially extreme corners compared to the Syoptic. On your 50/1.2 Nokton review, I believe you tested it on the Sony sensor but it performs way better on the Leica off-axis.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1561782/32#15316872

Regardless of the price, the Syoptic seems to be a solid choice for those who want a super fast 50mm and enjoy the way it renders.



Jan 31, 2022 at 12:43 PM
wuxiekeji
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


I wonder how it compares to TTArtisan 50/0.95


Jan 31, 2022 at 01:17 PM
BastianK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


CheshireCat wrote:
I am puzzled about the bokeh at time 2:00 in the video.
The lens wide open at f/1.1 renders a slightly smaller disk than the Noctilux f/1.2 wide open.

f/Stops are defined with the lens set to infinity, not necessarily they stay the same on focusing closer.
With the help of Dayong Li this has been explained in great detail in my review of the MS-Optics 50mm 1.0 ISM:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-ms-optics-50mm-1-0-ism/#Can_a_50mm_f10_lens_really_be_this_small

What I see at 2:38 at a longer focus distance looks like the differences I would expect.
But it isn't my comparison, so I cannot tell you much more about it.

Fred Miranda wrote:
and I wish Voigtlander would start featuring this in their lenses where I see a lot of mis-calibration.

Can only second all of this...

Fred Miranda wrote:
Price aside, I would still prefer the Voigtlander 50/1.2 Nokton over this lens though. It's better built and rendering is just as attractive. I also think the Nokton is sharper at mid and especially extreme corners compared to the Syoptic. On your 50/1.2 Nokton review, I believe you tested it on the Sony sensor but it performs way better on the Leica off-axis.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1561782/32#15316872

I am generally a big fan of the Voigtländer 50mm 1.2. Reviewed VM and E version, both on Sony, didn't have an M10 back then.
Does the VM version perform better on Leica than the E version does on Sony?

Bokeh rendering is quite a bit different though.
Even though the 1.2/50 hardly shows onion rings you can still see it is using aspherical elements and this one isn't.
Also the stopped down bokeh is vastly different due to the usage of rounded aperture blades.

Still, if anyone has a VM 50mm 1.2 (non dinky SE) for 300 bucks to offer I gladly take it

wuxiekeji wrote:
I wonder how it compares to TTArtisan 50/0.95

Read the review.
In almost every section I write how it compares to that lens.



Jan 31, 2022 at 01:19 PM
KLaban
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


Have ordered the Z Mount version @ £139!

Time will tell.



Jan 31, 2022 at 01:57 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


@BastianK I really like the look of the images in your Syoptic review! I have one question about the winter snow scenes in the forest and countryside: did you clean up any bokeh fringing and/or vignetting? They look very clean with seemingly low vignetting. Were they generally shot wide open, or slightly stopped down? I noticed some of those are cropped to a more cinematic proportion which I guess would crop out some of the vignetting.

It also appears the lens might have slight field curvature toward the camera at the edges, which would be beneficial for background blur...



Jan 31, 2022 at 02:09 PM
BastianK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


rscheffler wrote:
@BastianK@ I really like the look of the images in your Syoptic review! I have one question about the winter snow scenes in the forest and countryside: did you clean up any bokeh fringing and/or vignetting? They look very clean with seemingly low vignetting. Were they generally shot wide open, or slightly stopped down? I noticed some of those are cropped to a more cinematic proportion which I guess would crop out some of the vignetting.

It also appears the lens might have slight field curvature toward the camera at the edges, which would be beneficial for background blur...

The only picture I removed loCA is the one with the cinema in the background I also used as example for that

The fence with tree in the back has been taken at f/1.1 as stated and cropped to 16:9 which did help get rid of most of the vignetting.

The woman in coat from the side I think vignetting is still easily visible.

If a picture is of particular interest to you I can upload the raw (or dng for that matter) file for you, just tell me which it is.



Jan 31, 2022 at 02:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


BastianK wrote:
Does the VM version perform better on Leica than the E version does on Sony?


They are pretty equal when used on their optimal sensors. However, I've seen some variation on the off-axis performance even with centered copies. (same of the 40/1.2 and even 35/2 APO)

Bokeh rendering is quite a bit different though.
Even though the 1.2/50 hardly shows onion rings you can still see it is using aspherical elements and this one isn't.
Also the stopped down bokeh is vastly different due to the usage of rounded aperture blades.


The all spherical design allows for clean inner structure highlights but also means compromises somewhere else. However, if rendering is a priority, that's definitely a plus. Round vs straight blades also have their own benefits but round does improve rendering when the lens is stopped down. In these aspects, I agree the SYOPTIC should provide better rendering than the Nokton.

It would be interesting to compare them side by side. The negatives I see for the Syoptic (aside from the name ) is perhaps weaker flare resistance, quirks with build qualilty and haptics and off-axis performance wide open. Although the latter is still average compared to other ultra fast 50mm lenses, it's still a negative when placing the subject away from center.

The price of this lens may increase after all this talk!



Jan 31, 2022 at 03:20 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


Appreciate the review.

From the Ebay site:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174971356657?autorefresh=true

Note we can ship pre-assembled stocks as shown starting around mid February. Please understand any immediate stock shipped will not yet have any revisions, if you were to purchase one right now.

Given the feedback to the mfr for pending changes ... wondering if it would be prudent to wait and see what the mfr does with the feedback?



Jan 31, 2022 at 07:11 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


Fred Miranda wrote:



@BastianK@,
The ability to tweak calibration is a big plus and I wish Voigtlander would start featuring this in their lenses where I see a lot of mis-calibration.


I regard Voigtlander as Maestros of Miscalibration.

---------------------------------------------

RustyBug wrote:
Given the feedback to the mfr for pending changes ... wondering if it would be prudent to wait and see what the mfr does with the feedback?


That does seem prudent although Bastian’s very favourable review suggests that there may not be a lot that needs to be (or indeed can be) improved.



Jan 31, 2022 at 07:26 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


genji wrote:
I regard Voigtlander as Maestros of Miscalibration.

---------------------------------------------

That does seem prudent although Bastian’s very favourable review suggests that there may not be a lot that needs to be (or indeed can be) improved.


Yeah, I wondered about that, too.



Jan 31, 2022 at 07:36 PM
goto_dengo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


Thanks for another great review, Bastian. Your pictures are always so good, though, I always come away wanting to buy every lens you review!

This one looks exceptional though, especially considering the low price. Wish there was more info about the E mount version.



Feb 01, 2022 at 12:22 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


BastianK wrote:
When it comes to colors different people see different things.
If I don't like the colors I change them in post to my liking.

Out of the ~160 odd lenses I have used so far there where only a handful where there was a lack of, tonal separation, so to say, that made it very difficult for me to get the images to look the way I like in terms of colors. These where:
Flektogon 35mm 2.4
TTArtisan 50mm 0.95
ZY 50mm 0.95 EF version
Voigtländer 180mm 4.0
Some Jupiter lenses

So contrast and colors, to my eyes they are not different than those of e.g. the
...Show more

Thanks for the meaningful response. We are on the same page--I am not expecting (or wanting) modern high micro-contrast like a CV 50/1.5ii or Lux 50/1.4 from this lens. I would be getting the lens for the softer character and bokeh like most I think. I am picky about color and such, and color is highly preferential, but I also disliked what I got from the CV 180/4 of the two copies I owned. It's helpful to me to know you found it functionally similar to the CV 50/1.2 and better than the TTArtisan 50mm 0.95 ZY 50mm 0.95 EF.

I never shot the MS-Optics 50mm 1.0 ISM, nor had much interest--I do not enjoy that draw. I am mainly curious about the Syoptic versus a 50/1 Noctilux.



Feb 01, 2022 at 12:48 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


BastianK wrote:
The only picture I removed loCA is the one with the cinema in the background I also used as example for that

The fence with tree in the back has been taken at f/1.1 as stated and cropped to 16:9 which did help get rid of most of the vignetting.

The woman in coat from the side I think vignetting is still easily visible.

If a picture is of particular interest to you I can upload the raw (or dng for that matter) file for you, just tell me which it is.


Thanks for the offer but it's not necessary for the time being. Do you recall what aperture was used for the snow-covered trees and also the other fence photo with the ice covered shrubs?

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
It would be interesting to compare them side by side. The negatives I see for the Syoptic (aside from the name ) is perhaps weaker flare resistance, quirks with build qualilty and haptics and off-axis performance wide open. Although the latter is still average compared to other ultra fast 50mm lenses, it's still a negative when placing the subject away from center.

The price of this lens may increase after all this talk!


Yeah, I was thinking that too, about the price...

I also posted this in the Nokton 50/1 thread, and wondering if Bastian noticed it, but the Syoptic appears to have some field curvature towards the camera that might swing away at the extreme edges. But it's difficult to tell without seeing more images. For example the forest of snowy trees, if focus was on the one near the center, the one to the right, slightly closer to the camera, is also in focus. In any case, this direction of FC would result in generally better background blur, but appears to mean there's a sweet spot in which focus is good before appearing to fall off. It seems you can get good off-center focus, for example the one of the woman leaning against the window in front of the theater, shot on the a7III where this would be easier than with the M10 (assuming no use of the EVF).



Feb 01, 2022 at 01:28 AM
BastianK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


genji wrote:
That does seem prudent although Bastian’s very favourable review suggests that there may not be a lot that needs to be (or indeed can be) improved.

The optics are fine, unless they can improve flare resistance, which I am not sure they easily can.
Filter thread and f/1.4 marking on the aperture ring are things I hope will be improved.
I would love if the aperture ring was turning in the other direction, but this might need a bigger redesign, so not sure we should hope for that.

rscheffler wrote:
Do you recall what aperture was used for the snow-covered trees and also the other fence photo with the ice covered shrubs?

Guess those have been f/2.0, I have f/1.1 versions as well, but the contrast of the scene was so low to begin with, I like the contrastier f/2 ones more.

rscheffler wrote:
I also posted this in the Nokton 50/1 thread, and wondering if Bastian noticed it, but the Syoptic appears to have some field curvature towards the camera that might swing away at the extreme edges. But it's difficult to tell without seeing more images. For example the forest of snowy trees, if focus was on the one near the center, the one to the right, slightly closer to the camera, is also in focus. In any case, this direction of FC would result in generally better background blur, but appears to mean there's a sweet spot in which focus is
...Show more
Field is wavy, therefore the midzone dip when taking pictures of a flat scene.
Not very surprising, I see this in all lenses faster than f/1.4 that do not feature ~15 or more elements like Sigma 35mm 1.2 or Sony 50mm 1.2 GM.

Extreme corners are in the same (or at least similar ) plane as the center though.
Field curvature in the corners is more likable than that of the Laowa 45mm 0.95, MS-Optics 50mm 1.1 or (as first samples suggest) VM 50mm 1.0.
If I get a review sample of the VM 50mm 1.0 I would include some comparisons in its review, but currently I think the earliest this may happen is in March,
as Robert White - lately my source for Voigtländer review samples - doesn't have any stock atm and I am not too interested in spending ~2 grand of my own money on one right now.



Feb 01, 2022 at 02:11 AM
slungu
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


Flare prblems seem to be a general common weakness for these relatively cheap lenses - we see that in as good as all reviews for all lenses, be it TTArtisan, 7Artisan or Syoptic, slow ( like the TT 28/5.6 ) and fast ( like the 50/1.1 ). Never the less, it's just one characteristic that you have to remember and consider when shooting.
I have still ordered one - I was on the fence for a TTA 50/1.4 but since I do have a Planar I was thinking the TT might be too close and the 1.1 seemed more of a different lense.



Feb 01, 2022 at 07:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


BastianK wrote:
The optics are fine, unless they can improve flare resistance, which I am not sure they easily can.
Filter thread and f/1.4 marking on the aperture ring are things I hope will be improved.
I would love if the aperture ring was turning in the other direction, but this might need a bigger redesign, so not sure we should hope for that.

Guess those have been f/2.0, I have f/1.1 versions as well, but the contrast of the scene was so low to begin with, I like the contrastier f/2 ones more.

Field is wavy, therefore the midzone dip when taking pictures of a
...Show more

It looks like FC behavior is very similar to the Voigtlander 50/1.2 Nokton's:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1707236/4#15845552



Feb 01, 2022 at 10:36 AM
CheshireCat
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


BastianK wrote:
f/Stops are defined with the lens set to infinity, not necessarily they stay the same on focusing closer.


It’s not necessary but certainly unusual. I don’t see myself ever using infinity focus wide open with this lens (unless I have no other choice), so I am considering it a very interesting f/1.2 portrait lens, and I would love to see portraits comparisons against the CV 50/1.2, its most obvious competitor.



Feb 01, 2022 at 05:11 PM
LarsHP
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · SYOPTIC 50MM 1.1 Review


I really like the bokeh from the SYoptic 50mm f1.1 from what I have seen in Bastians review. I also like the price. However, comparing it to my Nokton f/1.2, I'd say the Voigtländer hammers it in several, if not all other, areas. Sharpness off center @ f/1.1 is unacceptable in my book.

I think there may be a bit of sample variation going on regarding the difference in performance we see in the review by Bastian and the one at LensTip. My sample, and apparently Fred Mirandas, performs clearly better than the ones used in the mentioned reviews suggests.



Feb 02, 2022 at 01:25 PM
1      
2
       3              9       10       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              9       10       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password