Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2022 · Z9 for weddings?

elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Z9 for weddings?

DSLRs from the D3 in 2007 have been able to perform with no issues using a f/2.8 zoom lens in the dimmest of venues. A problem is more with the tendency of some camera's autofocus systems tendency to back focus when the background is high contrast or the subject is approaching the camera.

The issue for me was having a large enough image file such that I could crop to delete background elements and still be able to make a large print. That is why I preferred the D850 over the D5 for weddings. With the Z9 I get the autofocus of a D5 and the resolution of the D850 combined into a single camera.

NPS came through for me and now I have a second Z9 and have sold all my DSLR cameras.

A problem for me with the Canon and Sony cameras was the lack of a battery grip and the use of small batteries with more battery changes during the day. I used the Nikon mulit-power battery grips with the large EN-EL18 batteries and seldom needed to change the batteries in the two cameras. Add in two slots so I could have an overflow card in the second slot and I could shoot without changing cards or batteries and this is one less thing to manage.

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:00 PM
KarmaKramer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Z9 for weddings?

Why would you shoot a couple moving at 1.8…? Maybe try a flash in those moments
Point is, people got great wedding photos 25 years ago. Today’s cameras are all fine provided you know how to focus.

nick williams wrote:
Photographing a couple walking down the aisle in a dark church at f1.8 is not that easy for a lot of cameras, along with a very dark first dance.

Jun 11, 2022 at 01:10 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Z9 for weddings?

> people got great wedding photos 25 years ago

A famous person once said ...

"Every great photo in history was shot with a camera far worse than yours"

Jun 13, 2022 at 06:12 PM
craigjohn
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Z9 for weddings?

nick williams wrote:
Photographing a couple walking down the aisle in a dark church at f1.8 is not that easy for a lot of cameras, along with a very dark first dance.

I've been shooting with a pair of Z6 II for a bit of a year, and been in just about every bad lighting situation, and the Z6 II has handled everything with aplomb. The large/wide AF point is your friend. That includes the bride and her father walking down a dark church aisle at f/1.8. The 85/1.8 and the Z6 II are stellar for this situation.

I use the 28mm f/1.4 for the dance floor, and it's rock solid. Do I miss some shots? Sure. People are moving around at a frenzied pace, but I also hit so many fantastic shots. ...and I'm shooting at f/1.4.

I can't think of a better wedding camera than the Z6 II. It's small, unassuming (depending on your lens combo), light, with insanely fast and accurate AF compared to my old D750 - which was a workhorse before I started dabbling in mirrorless with the Sony a7II, a7rII and the Fuji XT-2 bodies.

I absolutely love the 85/1.8 S + the 28/1.4E (adapted) combo for a wedding day. I swap the 85 for the 50/1.8 S when needed/wanted, but the 28/1.4E is welded to one camera body the entire day.

I could end here, at the Z6 II, and be 100% ecstatic this is where my wedding camera tech journey ends. I especially love the fact I can adapt any other lens to this camera, so there's endless supply of modern and vintage glass available. I love using my old Contax Zeiss 180/2.8 Sonnar CY mount, 85/1.4 and 50/1.4 Planar CY mount lenses for portraits. I use a Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar for close-ups and some portraits - but the rendering of the 85/1.4 CY mount is just gorgeous.

I have zero need for the Z9, while acknowledging there are sports photographers who desperately needed such a camera. YMMV, but the damn, if the Z6 II isn't nearly a perfect camera for my wedding photography.

Jul 28, 2022 at 08:26 AM
nick williams
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Z9 for weddings?

KarmaKramer wrote:
Why would you shoot a couple moving at 1.8…? Maybe try a flash in those moments
Point is, people got great wedding photos 25 years ago. Today’s cameras are all fine provided you know how to focus.

Direct flash as they walk down the aisle is ok but shooting wide open getting all the ambient light is better. 22 years ago I started with a Bronco SQAI . A great camera with amazing image quality but with todays cameras I get better photographs more often. At yesterdays wedding the couple walked through what can only be described as a blizzard of
...Show more

Jul 31, 2022 at 04:14 PM
ocphoto

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Z9 for weddings?

Austin Trenholm shoots with an Z9 and his work is phenomenal!

https://www.instagram.com/trenholmphoto/?hl=en

Sep 28, 2022 at 11:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.