New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2022 · Selling a Camera Body

RDKirk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Selling a Camera Body

As a professional, my interest in equipment is "Will this purchase make me more money?" There are always other things to spend money on besides cameras, such as marketing.

I tend to keep equipment as long as it's operational and economically maintainable until it needs replacement, or another model that will be more profitable comes along. Shooting retail portraiture, my demands on a camera body are fairly modest.

For instance, my 5D cameras had the money-losing problems of indifferent focus accuracy (this was before microfocus adjustment) and picture-ruining hair moire with half-length portraits. The 5D two solved both problems, and also a significant increase in resolution that would provide greater magnification, so it solved problems and stood to make me more money.

Right now, I'm shooting with EOS R bodies and EF lenses. I thought originally that I'd move to RF lenses fairly quickly, but now it's the same question: "Would they make me more money?" and the question will be "No" until my current lenses are no longer maintainable. That RF70-200 f/2.8 is calling my name, though, and I may be able to convince myself that I'll do more successful work with the much lighter lens (and it will fit my Domke F-2 bag).

The EOS R is making me more money, particularly with the stage production work I'm also doing, and its eye-focus is working better for me as well.

However, as I studied the R5 and R6, it was still the question of, "Will they make me more money?" and the answer to that, for the retail portraiture I do, is "No."

Because I keep cameras for quite a long while, I've gotten my money's worth, and whatever I can sell them for is gravy.

Feb 03, 2022 at 09:22 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.