Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

How comfortable are you selling a camera body?
I use my cameras for full advantage, donít regret selling at a low price
I keep my used cameras for a back-up, instead of selling at a low price
I donít use my cameras much, but can sell at low price for an upgrade
I upgrade my cameras, donít bother selling-off the existing ones
Other (specify in the discussion)

Selling a Camera Body

Max10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling a Camera Body

The camera bodies depreciate very fast and selling them at a low price is not always an easy decision, especially when you buy new.

We always pay through the nose to buy new bodies, but only after a few years of use they canít fetch even 50% of the original price.

This becomes a matter of discussion, when many are dumping their almost unused DSLRs in favor of the mirrorless.

(I am posting it in Canon forum, because mirrorless are relatively new for Canon users and dumping DSLRs is more common here.)

Jan 27, 2022 at 03:52 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling a Camera Body

I use my cameras professionally and keep them in good working order. When I want to upgrade them, I try to get the most from my investment because they're a business asset and it's put back into the next cameras.

Jan 27, 2022 at 04:00 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling a Camera Body

As a hobbyist, I treat my cameras like my cars. I buy them and use them for a long time before replacing. Consequently, they are not worth much. For instance, I just got an R6, upgrading from a 5D3. 5D3 isn't worth a ton these days. I have gotten my money's worth out of it and more. So I have it as a backup body. Before that, I had a 40D and 5D (original). Bought the 5D3 and kept all 3 bodies for a while. Sold the 40D for peanuts to a budding photographer. That's all it was worth. Still have the 5D. Its not worth much at all. May offload it at some point, but not to recoup any investment.

I'll probably keep the R6 for a long time too. The interval between the others was on the order of 5-10 years each time. If I decide to short cycle an upgrade for the first time, and the R6 is still worth 'real' money relative to the cost of the new body, i may offload it to fund the upgrade. But it would be the first time I've done something like that.

Brian

Jan 27, 2022 at 04:07 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling a Camera Body

I pretty much use them until they aren't really saleable anymore. Wear them out.

There are a lot of very capable cameras out there for not much. Certainly <$1k. I consider 24mp aps pretty capable and those aren't really too bad. Older ff can probably be very capable too. Really happy with SL2 overall, paid ~$300 off B&S a couple years ago. If you want mirrorless 24mp m50 isn't much

You don't have to spend lots of money to buy capable gear. Depending on your subject matter too though. Even then you could probably do a lot in demanding areas requiring speed using older 1Dx, 7D2, 1D4 and 70-200/2.8 non IS, or even f/4, though. Reach, 150-600's might not be too bad

Edited on Jan 27, 2022 at 06:20 PM · View previous versions

Jan 27, 2022 at 05:12 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling a Camera Body

Certain camera bodies depreciate much more slowly than you think, but the clock starts when the model is released rather than when you bought it. I've had my R5 since August 2019 and I can likely resell it for $3400. If you buy an R5 today tho, the going rate is likely already $3500.

The loss of value in dSLR is primarily because there is a generational shift happening. That said, for many, the right choice may still be not to upgrade. And for those that do upgrade, it may be worth keeping the dSLR as a backup.

Jan 27, 2022 at 05:35 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling a Camera Body

I tend to buy already low priced used digital bodies, I don't mind selling them for even less a few years later. Latest body is a 5DSR I bought around 2 years ago for $1250. I sold a 7D2 for $600 around the same time that I paid $900 for 3 years earlier.

My film bodies are getting more valuable. My Pentax 67 has easily doubled in value since I bought it around 6 years ago.

Heron

Jan 27, 2022 at 09:49 PM
Rivermist
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling a Camera Body

You just have to live with the logic of electronic products, they are quickly superseded by faster and more versatile new products. In a way, they are a consumable. In the days of film, pro Canon gear went from the F-1 (1971) to the revised version in 1976 and the New F-1 (1981). Nowadays the cycle is 3 years and the improvements are much more significative. With digital you can keep a body to exhaustion or obsolescence for 8 years and get a few pennies for it, or trade up every 2 years and get a almost decent price selling the older one. Compare that to laptops or cellphones, they lose 35% of their value each year if not more. I avoid upgrading to every new generation, went from 40D to 5D1 to 5D3 and on to mirrorless (RP for now), skipping intermediate versions that did not improve significantly on prior models. I am more attentive to the lenses, an excellent lens on an average body is IMHO better than an average lens on a great body. Lenses depreciate less if you take care of them, I have often sold L glass for 50% of purchase price 6-8 years after purchase.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:27 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling a Camera Body

I started with a 5D and sold it to fund a 5D3 after 5 years of ownership. I sold the 5D3 after about 7 years to fund the R6, although I did hang onto the 5D3 for a while during the transition. Even though they were only worth $500-600 each when I sold them, I knew I wouldn't be using them much and they'd only lose more value. I'd rather have that money than a camera taking up space. I now buy everything used which takes some of the sting out of it.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:53 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Selling a Camera Body

I've tended to buy a new body on clearance at the end of the product lifecycle, using them for a long time until I upgrade, then end up giving away the camera to somebody I know. They're usually not worth very much at the end.

The only camera I ever bought at introduction was the RP.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:20 AM
johnbro27
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Selling a Camera Body

With the exception of the R6 and R5, I have usually only upgraded when a new body offers significant usable improvements over my current body, and then I normally don't buy within a year of release.

The R6 AF was such a game changer that I realized my 7D2 and 5D4 weren't going to get used so I sold them quickly to maximize resale value. Later I bought an R5 to see how the extra MPs would help for birds.

I still have a 1D4 which I bought and hang onto for sentimental reasons. I also have a EOS 3 35mm (used rarely) so I will have to keep a few EF lenses as long as I have either of those bodies.

Jan 28, 2022 at 03:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jslaven

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Selling a Camera Body

If you are making money with the gear, then I think upgrading fairly often can make sense. Sell the older stuff while it still has value and never look back.

If it's a hobby or side interest, then it gets interesting, because for some, the tech of the camera IS the hobby, and for others, it's making images.

Older bodies with character will hit a certain price point and not go down in price again, or even go up a bit as youtubers looks for things to make videos on...

Jan 28, 2022 at 03:23 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Selling a Camera Body

This may be not so much a "feel" thing as what photographers can accomplish, or what they enjoy.

I bought two Canon 5D mk ii bodies around 2013 for $900 each, with about 10000 shots apiece. I used them for 2 years and sold them for close to $900 each.

Another time, I bought a 5DS for around $2800 refurbished and sold that one 5 years later for about $900 and it only had 10000 shots on it, thereabout. But a single file of 12 frames brought $800 from a distillery. Weddings brought more. And other prints even more.

Even new bodies pay for themselves, but presently I prefer refurbished or used with low shutter count. And every body I get is far more than just paying for itself. They cover gear cost and pay some bills.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:33 PM
Rivermist
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Selling a Camera Body

On the value of waiting, and not jumping on the latest camera body unless it is a significant fit and adds value, I have been on the fence ever since the R5-R6 were launched, I love my RPs for their compactness and very good set of features for the very reasonable price, but coming up to 3 years and yearning for HEIF, I have had moments of weakness looking at used R6s here on FM, but so far I had still not pulled the trigger. The recent rumor of a sort of R mk2 later this year helped confirm that the reason R5-R6 were not compelling was the (relatively) low pixel count of the R6 and the excess of features and money related to the R5. An improved R with a higher 20 MP or lower 30 MP sensor and priced in a $1,500 - $1,750 range with support for HEIF and significant improvements on both the R and RP is what I have been waiting for, of course purely speculative at this point in time but it makes sense not to plonk the green notes on the table at every iteration of camera bodies unless one feels that it is the whole deal one is looking for.

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Selling a Camera Body

FWIW, I think of camera bodies as more or less consumable products. I'm not counting on a camera body retaining much of its value at the end of its useful life ó its value to me comes from the way it performs as a tool while I'm using it, not in its investment value when I'm done with it.

Logically, I can understand the POV that says buying an almost new used body and then reselling it before too long, with the replacement being a similar quality used copy of the next model to provide useful improvements makes sense from the perspective of minimizing costs.

But my approach is to resist the siren call of the Cool New Thing when it comes along, and to try to look really objectively at how much (or little) difference the new features will make to my photography. The Newest Camera is virtually always better than the previous model... but the difference that better-ness makes in one's photography is frequently so small as to me insignificant and/or not worth the cost. Better, I think, to hang onto a good camera a bit longer, saving the replacement move for a point when the difference is larger or the need more compelling. (For example, if the old camera is literally wearing out, becoming unreliable, or presenting problems that would require expensive repairs.)

This is where I am right now with the R camera. I think they look like fine cameras, and they mark a real step forward from Canon. I think that the new RF lenses also look very good ó†as good as and in many cases better than the fine EF lenses I use now. But it isn't like I'm really handicapped by the camera or lenses that I currently have. Sure, they don't feel so state-of-the-art now that newer stuff is available, but they make photographs just as well now as they did a few years back.

Eventually I'll upgrade/replace the older gear, but I'm not in any hurry.

One more factor: Because the R system is, well, a "system," where the newer lenses add value to the new bodies, taking full advantage of R implies replacing a whole lot more stuff than was the case when moving from one DSLR to an updated DSLR. When moving from, say, a 5DII to a 5DsR, my lenses came along for the ride and, if anything, they may have worked even better with the newer camera. But with the move to R, while I could use the EF lenses and adapters, that is at least a bit kludgy and it means I wouldn't be taking advantage of lens improvements.

So, if/when I move, it will be with replacing the whole system in mind.

And that leads me to do something I would not have done during Canon APS-C to full frame move, the 5D to 5DII move, or the 5DII to 5DsR move... namely consider other non-Canon options. If I'm in a position to consider replacing almost everything, why restrict my thinking to Canon or to just full frame?

And that's even one more reason to go a bit slower on this.

What will I do with the old gear at that point? Who knows? I might sell it cheap to someone who needs it. I might keep it around "just in case." I might sell the lenses and give away the body.

Jan 30, 2022 at 01:11 PM
Rivermist
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Selling a Camera Body

gdanmitchell wrote:
FWIW, I think of camera bodies as more or less consumable products. I'm not counting on a camera body retaining much of its value at the end of its useful life ó its value to me comes from the way it performs as a tool while I'm using it, not in its investment value when I'm done with it.

Logically, I can understand the POV that says buying an almost new used body and then reselling it before too long, with the replacement being a similar quality used copy of the next model to provide useful improvements makes sense from the
...Show more

Very much in agreement with the logic you have followed. I made the early jump to the R system because it was announced just as I was looking at upgrading 2 of my 5 most-used lenses (24-105 mk1 and 100-400 mk 1), both 10 or more years old, and a third lens needing to be changed as it was not a good fit (as a portrait zoom, the EF 70-200 f:4 IS was too bulky for my taste). I opted for the RP to minimize my investment in the first generation of R bodies, agreeing with reviews at the time that Canon was playing a game of catch up and would need a couple of years to hit their stride.
The RP has turned out to be a pleasant surprise, and I sold my 5D mk3 6 months after buying the RP, to purchase as second RP. At the beginning 3 years ago I only had the RF 24-105 lens, all other glass was EF. I got the RF 100-500 as soon as it came out (18 months later), and ditto the 70-200 f:4 (2+ years). I am now in the final stretch having swapped out the 16-35 IS for the RF 14-35. The EF 35:2 was upgraded to the RF 35 1.8, and I have added the RF 16mm and RF 24-240, new types of lenses for a new system inclusive of in-camera computational lens corrections. If I had had more recent EF glass 3 years ago I would probably have waited a year or more, but with hindsight the switch to lighter and for most lenses (except the 100-500) more compact form factors has been beneficial, so I am glad I did it at the time I did.

Jan 30, 2022 at 04:16 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Selling a Camera Body

My tendency has been to keep my older cameras. The only exception was the XTi, with which I started, as it was so annoying small to use, and when I traded one of my 7D cameras, for partial credit toward buying my second 7D Mark II. The first of my DSLR cameras that I liked, a 40D, is still with me. Now and then, I will use it, especially with my EF 400/5.6L.

Several of my cameras were not the latest/greatest model, when I bought them. I only stayed current, with the 7D and then 7D II, and the 5Ds R and then 5D IV. I seem to be in no hurry to buy into the EOS R-series.

I did not buy a 1D-series camera, until the 1Ds Mark III, which I bought pre-owned, but well-preserved, in 2018, as one example of not needing the latest new thing.

Feb 01, 2022 at 10:32 AM
EdwardDye
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Selling a Camera Body

I'm professional so I always like to get the newest and greatest, but I will be looking for deals, and I sell my used gear right away because it will only go down lower.

Feb 01, 2022 at 01:16 PM
Max10
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Selling a Camera Body

Great! There are many brilliant ideas/ inputs here.

Upgrading/ discarding the camera bodies is a well-planned move for the professionals.
However, it may differ for amateur photographers.

Feb 01, 2022 at 06:42 PM
Bassat
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Selling a Camera Body

I am a hobbyist shooter, plain and simple. I don't upgrade so much as satisfy my desire to play with new toys. Last year, I bought an 'upgrade' to my EOS 650, the EOS 620. Two rolls later I decided it offered nothing I needed over my tried and true EOS 650, so I sold it. Net cost to try a new camera: $20. Right now, I scan E-Bay about weekly for an EOS 1N in decent shape for a fair price. My current digital bodies are 80D, and 6D2. If/When Canon ever releases something interesting, I'll probably try that, too.

Feb 02, 2022 at 04:51 AM
Mark Spaeth

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Selling a Camera Body

I think it depends on what is going on in your kit VS what is released. For me, I have done the model bump game, whereas I went 70D to 90D at the 90D's release. (70D was sold to offset the upgrade). The improvements for me felt warranted mostly video use but then use for wildlife. 1 month later, I picked up the EOS R, which became my daily driver. The heavily discounted B&H coupons were impossible to pass up. The 90D became my backup.

This intro to mirrorless and the quality of single exposures became invaluable to the point that this is what I used for all my wildlife adventures. I rarely needed a backup body, only when I sent the R in for CPS service.

With the release of the R5, I knew that this camera was combining what I loved about the 90D and the R, and reinforced my needs for my business that will take form this year. I finally had the opportunity to jump on board a couple weeks ago, purchasing a refurb R5 with Canon loyalty pricing. Without hesitation, the 90D, all EF-S lenses and the R were listed for sale.

Feb 02, 2022 at 12:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password