New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · SCRIM / Gear Questions for shooting whole-room vignettes

Grend

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SCRIM / Gear Questions for shooting whole-room vignettes

I mainly shoot furniture (product) and often need to create an upscale living room and dining room scene/vignettes. Until now, I've been shooting with 6 Einsteins and recently added a PCB Link. However, after much agonizing over the subject, I've decided to (eventually) migrate away from the PCB gear, which leads me to my current scenario:

I have a temporary job that will last for at least six-months, and possibly longer, with a remote possibility that it may evolve into something open-ended. I'll need to travel to a partner's location where I'll have partial control over 1 decent-sized room which I will appropriate for my studio. I'll be able to leave a certain amount of gear on-site between shots. I would ordinarily attack this project with a collection of bare-bulbs and soft boxes, but seeing as I'd like to phase out my lighting gear, I don't want to invest any further in Balcar mount gear. Also, I'm not interested in an interim Balcar-to-Bowens adapter type solution as I want to leave my gear options wide open.

My current thinking is to pickup a second set of c-stands and leave them on-site -- in the small (tiny) chance they walk-off, I won't be terribly upset. For lighting the room, I'd like to go with a large scrim or two -- I figure I can gang a couple Einsteins into each scrim to give me a nice broad light style. Never having shot with scrims before, however, I'm uncertain what to buy -- I need something very rugged, and ideally something modular with replaceable parts/fabric if damaged. I've had great experience with Matthews, and my reflexive impulse is to splurge and get their setup. However, I also read good things about the Scrim Jim, but I worry that it's just not heavy duty enough for rough handling (my warehouse guys often help out as ad-hoc grip when needed).

I'd welcome any gear thoughts and/or shooting solutions--I'm not totally married to the idea of a scrim, but I think whatever happens in the future, this setup will give me flexibility, and should be included in my toolset regardless.

** EDIT: Debated whether I should mention this, but figured I might as well as someone may bring this up anyways... an obvious alternative is to buy a handful of large PLMs with front-diffusers -- this would give me a solution that isn't mount-specific per-se except for the 8mm umbrella shaft.

Jan 13, 2022 at 03:35 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SCRIM / Gear Questions for shooting whole-room vignettes

I'd probably recommend trying the large PLMs with diffusers first.

I have Photoflex LitePanels that I've used and like (6x6 and 3.5 or 4x6) with legs but you could also use multiple light stands with clamps to put them at different angles.

I had a Scrim Jim 4x6 that I used as a reflector for a bit that would be better quality frame than the photoflex and quicker to assemble...only reason i bartered the Scrim Jim away was because the Sunbounce reflector was easier to use/attach to a light stand if i didn't have somebody holding it.

I don't think you'd go wrong with the Matthews either.

Benefits of a scrim is you can play with the light to scrim distance as well as the scrim to subject distance for more control. The downside is that might take up more space and/or require additional stands/clamps to articulate the scrim.

Jan 13, 2022 at 05:42 PM
Grend

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SCRIM / Gear Questions for shooting whole-room vignettes

neoshazam wrote:
Benefits of a scrim is you can play with the light to scrim distance as well as the scrim to subject distance for more control. The downside is that might take up more space and/or require additional stands/clamps to articulate the scrim.

Thanks for the informative reply. The control you mentioned is exactly what attracts me to the scrim option as I want the maximum versatility in the resulting lighting. That said, I do lean heavily towards the PLM option in the short-term as it's inexpensive and won't require me to fuss with unfamiliar gear.

Jan 13, 2022 at 06:35 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SCRIM / Gear Questions for shooting whole-room vignettes

Have you considered V-Flats? Bounced light can be very soft too.

Charley

Jan 13, 2022 at 07:10 PM
Grend

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SCRIM / Gear Questions for shooting whole-room vignettes

CharleyL wrote:
Have you considered V-Flats? Bounced light can be very soft too.

Charley

Thanks for the reply. I use v-flats extensively in my main studio to fill shadows, but I need more throwing power from my main light source(s). If I'm winging it outside my studio, I will sometimes bounce my mains off a wall if the room is small enough/has appropriate walls, but I've found those results generally sub-par

Jan 13, 2022 at 07:19 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SCRIM / Gear Questions for shooting whole-room vignettes

I bought a 6x6' Lightform frame when I started my career and have added a couple Matthews fabrics that work well with it. Recently, I added a Scrim Jim kit and a Matthews 48x48" frame that breaks down for easy travel. Over the years, I've had success buying used gear and it's saved me a great deal.

Has the studio given you a budget for equipment and insurance for your own gear or do they supply anything but the space? I'm not familiar with the PCB products but if you want to move to another system, the Godox lights seem to be quite popular, they're priced so you can have a couple as backup and the transmitter seems to work well.

Jan 14, 2022 at 03:32 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SCRIM / Gear Questions for shooting whole-room vignettes

Grend wrote:
I'd welcome any gear thoughts and/or shooting solutions--I'm not totally married to the idea of a scrim, but I think whatever happens in the future, this setup will give me flexibility, and should be included in my toolset regardless.

I typically deploy panels (Matthews or free-standing Photoflex LitePanel) for diffusion or bounce, although my objects are smaller than furniture. The latter can be nicely lit by similar methods. My eye is on a big MSE frame, like 8'x8', but am waiting for a used deal. Cheaper alternatives include wall bounce or just hanging fabric. I use my studio walls in every setup (easy when white).

Jan 14, 2022 at 03:50 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.