FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              35      
       end

Official: Leica M11

hmzimelka
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.36 #1 · p.36 #1 · Official: Leica M11

Overlooking that the M11 was released with what could be argued as insufficiently complete firmware for a final product, I am relieved it's being addressed relatively quickly. And I hope the concern is being taken very seriously at Leica.

It would be nice if they have a more open beta program or an official feedback channel.

May 26, 2022 at 03:05 PM
LBJ2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.36 #2 · p.36 #2 · Official: Leica M11

hmzimelka wrote:
Overlooking that the M11 was released with what could be argued as insufficiently complete firmware for a final product, I am relieved it's being addressed relatively quickly. And I hope the concern is being taken very seriously at Leica.

It would be nice if they have a more open beta program or an official feedback channel.

Use the feedback feature on the Fotos app. It's official, automatically includes AppLog data which could be helpful too. I almost always receive a prompt response; Sometimes polite professional, sometimes back and forth trouble shooting. Sometimes they suggest a fix or work around, other times they tell me they will submit what I presented for review.

May 26, 2022 at 03:58 PM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.36 #3 · p.36 #3 · Official: Leica M11

Yeah, although that isn't the proper channel for camera support. Its the official channel for the app support.
I usually write Germany directly, but a dedicated direct feedback system for firmware issues would be good, and even better would be a voluntary public beta testing.

If I hear another low-level tech support suggestion from Leica the likes of "have you tried turning it off and back on again" I might say something less polite to them. I've had so many issues with Leica and such shamefully poor responses to those issues that I don't care much for wasting my time with them. For now, I have a reasonably good communication with a chap at customer care that does a good job and relaying stuff to the dev team without a top down type of feedback that assumes the customer can just about manage to tie his shoelaces in the morning.

May 26, 2022 at 11:41 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.36 #4 · p.36 #4 · Official: Leica M11

^ Emailing info(at)leica-camera.com will get you an answer and support. I just heard back about the flickering issue in Highlight-weighted + Exposure Preview:

That combination does cause problems (it did so on the previous firmware too).
I saw the ticket in our database, and we are working on it.
I do not yet have an eta for a fix though.

May 27, 2022 at 11:07 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.36 #5 · p.36 #5 · Official: Leica M11

That is the channel I've been using too

May 27, 2022 at 02:25 PM
pmeheut
• • •
p.36 #6 · p.36 #6 · Official: Leica M11

BTW, since I upgraded to 1.4, I've noticed 2 bugs:

- when I shoot several pictures, some of them are severely overexposed. It happened in A mode, Auto ISO & Single shot.
- when I was shooting in manual mode, the shutter selector was between 1/250 and 1/500 because I moved it quickly. The M11 decided to read it as 8 seconds. I have been able to reproduce it but not each time.

I've reported it to Leica but was wondering if somebody else had the same problems.

May 28, 2022 at 10:42 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.36 #7 · p.36 #7 · Official: Leica M11

pmeheut wrote:
BTW, since I upgraded to 1.4, I've noticed 2 bugs:

- when I shoot several pictures, some of them are severely overexposed. It happened in A mode, Auto ISO & Single shot.
- when I was shooting in manual mode, the shutter selector was between 1/250 and 1/500 because I moved it quickly. The M11 decided to read it as 8 seconds. I have been able to reproduce it but not each time.

I've reported it to Leica but was wondering if somebody else had the same problems.

Both are old bugs but it's annoying they are still there...

For me, the random overexposure is far less likely now than before 1.4.0.0.

There are half steps between shutter speeds, like 1/250 and 1/500... however, if you happen to get in-between those (1/4 steps) like 1/320 and 500 then the 8 second exposure comes up.

Edited on May 28, 2022 at 11:26 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2022 at 11:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pmeheut
• • •
p.36 #8 · p.36 #8 · Official: Leica M11

I hardly understand how such bugs can exist and persist. But on the other hand, I was one of the first user to report the Leica M8 IR problem and I found it the very first day I had the camera.
How Leica testers missed it for months is something I do not understand.

May 28, 2022 at 11:23 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.36 #9 · p.36 #9 · Official: Leica M11

pmeheut wrote:
I hardly understand how such bugs can exist and persist. But on the other hand, I was one of the first user to report the Leica M8 IR problem and I found it the very first day I had the camera.

It makes me wonder too. I would gladly volunteer to test new cameras for Leica. I'll definitely be one of their biggest fans and harshest critics.

The original M11 release firmware was horrible. The camera had some serious usability issues. I can't imagine how frustrating early beta tests must have been.

May 28, 2022 at 11:29 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.36 #10 · p.36 #10 · Official: Leica M11

pmeheut wrote:

I wonder if Leica uses the same people for testing new cameras as they do for promoting their brand. They tend to be artists and not very gear/tech-saavy.

May 28, 2022 at 11:35 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.36 #11 · p.36 #11 · Official: Leica M11

Popflash​​​​​​​ has a black and silver arriving on the 6th if anyone's looking for one in stock to buy.

Jun 03, 2022 at 12:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.36 #12 · p.36 #12 · Official: Leica M11

Leica M11 "Silver" now in stock at B&H Photo:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1682570-REG/leica_m11s_m11_rangefinder_camera_silver.html

Jun 08, 2022 at 05:05 PM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.36 #13 · p.36 #13 · Official: Leica M11

For those interested in more neutral M11 dcp profiles for Lightroom Classic and Adobe Photoshop, I've created three profiles from the original M11 profile (not Adobe Standard) but with different tone curves; Two neutral and one linear.

Installation instructions are found here
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/faq-install-presets-profiles.html

Leica M11 Neutral
Leica M11 Neutral II
Leica M11 Linear

Jun 09, 2022 at 01:26 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.36 #14 · p.36 #14 · Official: Leica M11

Leica M11 (Black) now available at B&H Photo:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1682569-REG/leica_m11b_m11_rangefinder_camera_black.html

Jun 10, 2022 at 04:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password