FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              34      
       end

Official: Leica M11

hmzimelka
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.35 #1 · p.35 #1 · Official: Leica M11

In the 1.3.0.0 firmware the highlight weighted metering in rangefinder mode often caused strong overexposure to the point of being around 3EV brighter than an average metered exposure.

Firmware 1.4.0.0 is a good step in the right direction for all the other bugs, but Highlight Weighted metering isn't something I can use in its current form.

I'll also be testing it some more, but I'm not going to spend too much time on it. Hopefully Leica squashed all or most of the usability bugs and I can concentrate on taking images.

I could really use that GPS feature on the Leica Fotos app. I have no interest in the apps other features.

An example of highlight weighted metering not protecting highlights.

May 25, 2022 at 09:04 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.35 #2 · p.35 #2 · Official: Leica M11

hmzimelka wrote:
In the 1.3.0.0 firmware the highlight weighted metering in rangefinder mode often caused strong overexposure to the point of being around 3EV brighter than an average metered exposure.

Firmware 1.4.0.0 is a good step in the right direction for all the other bugs, but Highlight Weighted metering isn't something I can use in its current form.

I'll also be testing it some more, but I'm not going to spend too much time on it. Hopefully Leica squashed all or most of the usability bugs and I can concentrate on taking images.

I could really use that GPS feature on the
...Show more

Highlight-weighted metering even in the SL2-S never fully protected the highlights it can be fooled by a spike on the histogram far to the right caused by a bright area concentrated on an edge of the frame. It's not a metering mode based off the histogram, it's an evaluative mode similar to Multi-field. At least now after FW 1.4.0.0, Highlight-weighted is exposing consistently and giving a lower exposure than Multifield before this update, it was exposing exactly the same as Multifield.

My preference for Highlight-weighted metering would be to have a second variant of it based on the histogram, not allowing overexposure except for specular highlights. But we need to keep the current version since it's more usable for everyday shooting without maxing out the exposure comp +3 stops to brighten up the exposure when needed.

Note that currently if the brightest areas of an image are anywhere near the central 1/3 of the frame, Center-weighted metering still gives the lowest exposure and best protects the highlights. IMO, it's the most versatile metering mode, allowing me to shoot everything from sunset landscapes to indoor portraits while providing a good exposure base.

May 25, 2022 at 04:19 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.35 #3 · p.35 #3 · Official: Leica M11

Update: 1.4.0.0's Highlight-weighted meter is useless for Live View shooting for me (with exposure preview on and using any auto mode such as Auto ISO or Auto Shutter). When moving the frame around in high-contrast light, the meter/exposure/preview alternates between settings so rapidly that it makes the screen appear to flicker badly. To use this metering mode, I would have to turn off exposure preview completely.

May 25, 2022 at 05:41 PM
williamtracy

p.35 #4 · p.35 #4 · Official: Leica M11

highdesertmesa wrote:
Update: 1.4.0.0's Highlight-weighted meter is useless for Live View shooting for me (with exposure preview on and using any auto mode such as Auto ISO or Auto Shutter). When moving the frame around in high-contrast light, the meter/exposure/preview alternates between settings so rapidly that it makes the screen appear to flicker badly. To use this metering mode, I would have to turn off exposure preview completely.

I had the same issue prior to the update as well.

May 25, 2022 at 11:07 PM
hmzimelka
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.35 #5 · p.35 #5 · Official: Leica M11

Same here; A lot of flickering at times when lighting changes a little.

At least now we can eagerly anticipate FW 1.5.0.0 with the same level of excitement and perhaps its not too long until the M11 comes out of its public beta testing phase.

May 26, 2022 at 12:57 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password