New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              38       39       end

Archive 2022 · Leica M11

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M11

Official: Leica M11 available for pre-order!
The new Leica M11 was officially announced today. It's already available for pre-order at B&H Photo for $8,995

Main Features:
  1. 60MP Full-Frame BSI CMOS Sensor
  2. Triple Resolution Technology
  3. Optical 0.73x-Magnification Viewfinder
  4. 2.95" 2.3m-Dot Touchscreen LCD
  5. Internal 64GB Memory and SD UHS-II Slot
  6. ISO 64-50000, Up to 4.5-fps Shooting
  7. Wi-Fi & USB Type-C, Dedicated FOTOS App
  8. Lightweight Aluminum Top Plate
  9. Electronic Shutter, Multi-Field Metering
  10. Live View Stabilization

Pre-order and Review links:

Leica M11 and accessories at B&H Photo ($8,995)

Pre-orders also available at Adorama.

Leica Visoflex 2 EVF ($740) - Compatible with M10 and M11 bodies!

B&H Photo Explora M11 review

Jono Slack review

Leica M11 Overview
M11: The Contemporary Classic
Perfectly meshing timeless design with contemporary performance, the Leica M11 is a rangefinder camera featuring a revised sensor design and updated connectivity and while maintaining the familiar design of a Leica M camera.

60MP BSI CMOS Sensor with Triple Resolution Technology
Full-Frame BSI CMOS Sensor

Featuring a new higher-resolution design, the M11's 60MP full-frame CMOS sensor also features a back-illuminated (BSI) design that offers improved noise performance and faster readout speeds. The higher resolution suits more detail-oriented applications, like landscape and architectural subjects, and the noise-reduction benefits of the BSI design improves clarity and color accuracy when working in low-light conditions with higher ISOs.
The sensor's physical design also includes an updated ultra-thin dual-layer filter glass, which absorbs UV and IR wavelengths for greater clarity and more accurate rendering from the M lenses.

Triple Resolution Technology

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/30/2289130.jpg

Besides the 60MP resolution and BSI design, another first for M cameras is Triple Resolution Technology. This unique pixel binning process allows photographers to select 60MP, 36MP, or 18MP output, with each resolution making use of the full sensor area and providing rich 14-bit color. By pixel binning, rather than cropping, the lower resolutions have improved dynamic range and noise levels:

60MP: 14 stops of dynamic range, highest resolution
36MP: 15 stops of dynamic range, best balance of resolution and noise
18MP: 15 stops of dynamic range, lowest noise levels

Maestro III Image Processor
The new Maestro III processor contributes to the faster processing and Triple Resolution Technology of the M11, as well as helps achieve a wider sensitivity range than in past M cameras. An ISO 64-50000 range is now available for greater detail, quality, and natural color rendering at lower ISO settings. The Maestro III also enables continuous shooting at up to 4.5 fps and facilitates fast file saving for an intuitive shooting experience.

Imaging Improvements

The M11 is still a photo-only camera that prioritizes manual operation, but a variety of improvements and functional updates have been made to make the M11 the most contemporary M camera yet:
  1. An electronic shutter function now permits shooting at shutter speeds up to 1/16,000 sec, which is perfect for working with faster f/0.95 lenses without the need for ND filters. A mechanical shutter still offers shutter speed support up to 1/4000 sec and flash sync at 1/180 sec.

2. Two digital zoom steps can simulate working with longer focal length lenses by cropping into the image slightly, at 1.3x (39MP) and 1.8x (18MP) levels. These are reversible crops when recording a DNG or permanent crops if shooting straight to JPG.

3. Multi-field exposure metering is available in addition to spot and center-weighted average, which helps reduce the need to meter and then re-compose before shooting.

4. Long Exposure Noise Reduction helps to reduce the appearance of noise but can also be disabled for faster saving times.

Traditional Rangefinder Design

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/31/2289131.jpg

The M11 features a timeless design inspired by the original M camera, the M3, from 1954. This classic and recognizable form prioritizes intuitive handling and shooting along with a sleek and minimalist appearance.

Optical Viewfinder and Rear LCD

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/32/2289132.jpg

1. The optical viewfinder is a large and bright 0.73x-magnification rangefinder with automatic parallax compensation and bright-line frame lines, which are set to match the image sensor size at a focusing distance of 6.6'.

2. On the front of the camera, a viewfinder frame selector can be used to manually change the apparent image field to help visualize the scene with varying focal lengths; options are available in 35mm/135mm, 28mm/90mm, and 50mm/75mm focal length pairs.

3. Rear 2.95" 2.3m-dot touchscreen LCD features an updated design that is brighter for for improved visibility in sunny conditions.

4. Revised menu layout matches the Q and SL systems for more intuitive navigation and faster settings changes right from the first menu page.

5. Live view stabilization helps reduce the appearance of camera shake on the rear LCD or optional Visoflex 2; this electronic stabilization makes it easier to manually focus longer focal length lenses with greater accuracy.

Updated Body Design and Handling

Despite the M11's similarity to past M cameras, it features a variety of notable changes to its body design:
  1. This black finish version of the M11 features an aluminum top plate with a scratch-resistant coating. This design is about 20% lighter than the silver-chrome version, which features a brass top plate, and weighs 1.2 lb with the battery installed.

2. First M camera to not feature a removable baseplate; instead, the M11 borrows a design from the Q and SL systems and uses a new BP-SCL7 battery that is inserted directly into the base of the camera body.

3. BP-SCL7 lithium-ion battery has 64% more capacity than the previous generation's battery and is CIPA-rated for 700 shots per charge. However, if working with the optical viewfinder only, approximately 1700 shots per charge is possible.

4. Revised design also incorporates a single UHS-II SD memory card slot within the battery compartment.

5. Built-in 64GB memory means you can forgo using a memory card altogether, or use the internal memory in conjunction with an SD card to simulate having dual card slots for splitting file types or for overflow storage. Image files can also be transferred from the internal memory to the SD card for easy backup.

6. USB type-C port on the base permits in-camera battery charging and file transferring.

Wired and Wireless Connectivity

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/33/2289133.jpg

1. The USB type-C port can be used in conjunction with the included FOTOS Cable, which allows direct attachment to an Apple iPhone via the Leica FOTOS app for easy file management and sharing.

2. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth can also be used for wireless connecting the camera to an iOS device using the FOTOS app.

3. In-app geotagging is possible along with the ability to select favorites and apply ratings to images via your mobile device.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:39 AM
derKoekje
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M11

Jono Slack Review

Great review by the way. I wasn't too impressed with the M11 from the announcement standpoint but this review really dove deep on the improvements under the hood. I'm a big fan of the light meter, electronic shutter (1/16000th), new battery and improved live view. It just feels a lot more complete as an ultimate manual focus camera but now you can make the experience as analogue or modern as you'd like.

I will say that in Kai W's video, the black paint aluminium finish looks atrocious and I wish the black paint version was the one that would brass rather than the other way around. I'm also holding out for a M11-P or M11-M that brings back the baseplate.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:49 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M11

The bad news about the Visoflex 2 for M10 bodies is that it will require a future firmware update and it will be only capable of 2.4MP viewing resolution (instead of 3.7MP), so resolution will be the same as the Visoflex 020.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M11

Wish we knew what the M11-P variant was going to offer. Would help with deciding to wait if we knew what that carrot was.

Of course, that's not the Leica way.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:56 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M11

Wonder if the same applies to the TL2?

Fred Miranda wrote:
The bad news about the Visoflex 2 for M10 bodies is that it will require a future firmware update and it will be only capable of 2.4MP viewing resolution (instead of 3.7MP), so resolution will be the same as the the Visoflex 020's.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:57 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M11

Thanks for that Jono review.

I've been waiting on this one - the new sensor, electronic shutter option (yes, I love shoot 'lux portraits wide open), ISO 64, and a few other things really make me want to run out and order one of these, but the price is pretty brutal (hence, I'm not arguing value here). A used one for under $8K, preferably closer to $7.5K, is where my pain threshold is, I'm afraid. At least for now.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M11

Ted Forbes/Art of Photography does a pretty good job reviewing the new M11 with plenty of images as well

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:31 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M11

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:51 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M11

Fred Miranda wrote:
The bad news about the Visoflex 2 for M10 bodies is that it will require a future firmware update and it will be only capable of 2.4MP viewing resolution (instead of 3.7MP), so resolution will be the same as the the Visoflex 020's.

I guess what that means is Leica is discontinuing the Visoflex 2, and this just allows a semblance of compatibility for that.

I would guess that Leica could enable the full resolution with the M10, but don't because they want people to step up to the 11.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:57 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M11

Black chrome finish + aluminum = just wait for the black paint + brass version for $1000 more in a year's time.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:58 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M11

And one more thing!.. I think those who have an M10 should be feeling pretty good right about now w.re/ to the values of their cameras. With the 11 being $9K, I don't see the 10 dropping much below $4K, if at all.

But if you recently bought an M10-R, well that kinda sucks to have the 11 dropped so soon.

Can someone explain the electronic shutter? When does it kick in as in 1/4000 is not enough, so it then turns on? And 1/16000 sounds like it could stop all kinds of high speed action, but apparently it cannot w/o distortion to the image? I am but a simple man stuck in the film era...

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica M11

Desmolicious wrote:
And one more thing!.. I think those who have an M10 should be feeling pretty good right about now w.re/ to the values of their cameras. With the 11 being $9K, I don't see the 10 dropping much below $4K, if at all.

But if you recently bought an M10-R, well that kinda sucks to have the 11 dropped so soon.

Can someone explain the electronic shutter? When does it kick in as in 1/4000 is not enough, so it then turns on? And 1/16000 sounds like it could stop all kinds of high speed action, but apparently it cannot w/o distortion
...Show more

Yes, it now works the same as the SL system. If you leave it on 'hybrid', the camera will automatically switch to e-shutter when it needs a faster shutter speed than 1/4000s. The downside of using e-shutter is the low scan sensor rate at 1/10s, which means you will get skew (jello effect) if your subject or your camera is not still.

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:13 PM
1joel1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica M11

Here's another review from DPreview:

Joel

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:19 PM
teraflame
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica M11

The start-up time seems atrocious.

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:25 PM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica M11

Desmolicious wrote:
Black chrome finish + aluminum = just wait for the black paint + brass version for $1000 more in a year's time.

Or the Hugh Grant edition, or the 007 edition or Beach Boys edition.

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:31 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica M11

Desmolicious wrote:

Can someone explain the electronic shutter? When does it kick in as in 1/4000 is not enough, so it then turns on? And 1/16000 sounds like it could stop all kinds of high speed action, but apparently it cannot w/o distortion
...Show more
Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, it now works the same as the SL system. If you leave it on 'hybrid', the camera will automatically switch to e-shutter when it needs a higher shutter speed than 1/4000s. The downside of using e-shutter is the low scan sensor rate at 1/10s, which means you will get screw (jello effect) if your subject or your camera is not still.

Thanks for the explanation. I watched DPR TV's initial review (the one a few posts above) and noted the hybrid option in the shutter setting menu. I was hopeful it might be EFCS, but nope.

Another tidbit I caught from that video was that due to the new off-sensor metering method, when the camera is in single frame advance, there is a slight delay after making an exposure before you can make another one. Based on the video of him shooting in live view and the blackout time of the LCD, I'd guess the delay isn't huge (probably less than half a second), but it's still there and it is definitely something that would bother me in certain 'fluid, highly dynamic' situations where I'm used to being able to time a second or third image in quick succession. Chris noted that he instead opted to leave the camera in continuous frame advance to avoid this slight delay (I would guess once letting go of the shutter release after a sequence, the camera will be locked out briefly like after one frame in single frame advance mode).

I had a look through DPR's initial sample gallery and will say that Chris did a good job of shooting handheld at marginal shutter speeds (sub 1/125) with a 35mm lens on a 60MP camera... He did note in the video that camera shake did result in some reduced image quality, but I guess they didn't include many of those in the gallery.

Edited on Jan 13, 2022 at 01:03 PM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2022 at 01:02 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica M11

RustyBug wrote:
Wonder if the same applies to the TL2?

Backwards compatibility of the new Visoflex with the TL2 is unlikely.

It would most likely require a firmware update and the last firmware update for the TL2 already dates from September 2018... Supposedly the development team has been disbanded...

Jan 13, 2022 at 01:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica M11

1joel1 wrote:
Here's another review from DPreview:

Joel

I find this review practical and objective and that's important when reviewing an emotional camera like the M.

So far, he is the only reviewer acknowledging the use the Sony A7R IV's BSI 61MP sensor which I think was a great move for Leica.

Here is what to expect from the M10, M10-R and M11(A7R IV) sensors:

Dynamic Range:
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Leica%20M10,Leica%20M10-R,Sony%20ILCE-7RM4

Read Noise:
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_ADU.htm#Leica%20M10_14,Leica%20M10-R_14,Sony%20ILCE-7RM4_14

It should offer noticeable higher DR in comparison to the M10 and M10R at ISO 100, 200 and above 16000 but as Chris mentioned, there is one caveat. Since the base ISO is now 64, the first gain could come a bit earlier, so there could be changes in DR at high ISO compared to the A7R IV's sensor.
However, in regards to read-noise, both M10 and M10-R should perform slightly better.

The other camera resolutions are using pixel binning so, similar noise performance can also achieved when normalizing the 61MP file to 36 and 18MP in post. The main benefit of the lower resolutions is file size. Leica mentions higher DR at lower resolutions though. (To be tested)

Jan 13, 2022 at 01:07 PM
Geoff CB
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica M11

Absolutely adore the downsampled sensor idea for various DNG sizes. Pipe dream but I would LOVE that option on the SL2 for increased dynamic range and smaller file sizes.

Jan 13, 2022 at 01:08 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica M11

Fred Miranda wrote:

The firmware update was expected, but the released resolution is a bit disappointing. It will be interesting for M10 users to see what upgrading to the new Visoflex will provide.

Jan 13, 2022 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.