FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · A Bracket Fungus Ganoderma australe

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Bracket Fungus Ganoderma australe

I found these on 3 January during a solo trip to a local nature reserve.

What attracted me was a greenish yellow bracket fungus on a dead but vertical birch trunk with a very chewed-looking, truncated top. That turned out to be a very old, much-grazed FB (fruiting body) of Birch Polypore, some 3m above ground level. I dislodged that with a stick and it fell to where I got my first view of the Ganoderma FBs. The genus name refers to the shiny appearance.

The hoof-shaped one was about fist size. It was quite near ground level and I couldn’t get other views due to the very difficult ground underfoot. (If I got into trouble I would probably not be visible from the path).

The disc-shaped one was no more 2m from the tree and was about saucer size. It was on a horizontal, dead birch trunk, which was low down, near the ground. It was quite heavy but I just managed to raise it and rest the tip on another, adjacent, horizontal trunk to enable good images to be taken. I replaced it afterwards.

Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus m4/3 30mm f3.5 ED macro, 1/13, 1/25 & f11, hand-held.

Jan 09, 2022 at 09:39 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.