New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Sony A7IV - Overheating

Bstrom2414

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

To facilitate getting battery power outside the body, would a battery grip block any body cooling capability? It allows a Ďdummyí battery scenario but blocks the bottom surface. Any issues expected with that setup?

Jan 05, 2022 at 08:21 AM
joychris
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Leonberger wrote:
Update again:

Ran another test today as follows:

- 4K24 using highest possible bitrate
- Camera had screen open sitting on my office desk while recording (no hand holding at all)
- High temp mode on
- Test conducted in coldest area of my house (basement) during Winter time in Canada

Camera recorded for 35 Min and was pretty hot but did not overheat and shutdown.

I stopped the recording and immediately switched over to 4K60 highest possible bitrate
- Camera had screen open sitting on my office desk while recording (no hand holding at all)
- High temp mode on
- Test conducted in coldest area of my house
...Show more

I think you have a dud, I'd return it. I decided to test my copy after seeing this thread and the one on EOSHD. I'm at over 4 hours of 4k60p and counting, only stopping for battery swaps and to reformat the card. Batteries have been at about 35% when pulled, the first take didn't start at 100%, so it was a little lower when pulled. With the settings below my 128gb card can only record for 1hr 20min so I've been stopping it just before its full. Batteries are warm to the touch, but not anything to worry about. Same for the back of the body where the LCD screen sits, I don't even have a temp warning yet.

My settings with a 128gb Prograde V90 card:

XAVC S - 4k60p - 10 bit 422 - 200mbps
AF-c - wide area - Face/eye detection and touch tracking on
Screen out like I always shoot
Airplane mode to prolong battery life (always unless I'm transferring files)
Temp warning set to high

I started with the FE 85 just pointing at a static scene in my 77 degree apartment with the camera in front of the heater so it was blowing warm air on it. I hit tap to track on the flower as you can see in the image, so tracking was constantly engaged the whole time. I stopped it just before the card was full after almost 1hr 20min of recording. Then I moved to pointing it at the TV and swapped to the FE 35 to bootleg The Grand Tour (haven't seen the latest one, no spoilers !). This should generate more heat since the camera would be busy detecting faces/eyes and tracking them - which it did beautifully. No heat warnings at all. This is far better than my a7III and absolutely crushes the a6300. I've never done a test with my a7sIII because it doesn't need it, but these results are far beyond what I should ever use.

I'll try bumping to XAVC SI and the 600mbps bitrate, but I never shoot that because my 128gb cards only hold about 27 min of footage and after a year and a half with the a7sIII I don't see a difference with XAVC S. That said I have zero reservations about using the a7IV for my work as I've never recorded a 1hr 20min take - the longest for me is sunrises/sunsets at about 45 minutes from start to finish. I edit in 24p, a full 128gb card of 60p footage would be 3 hours slowed down. The photo shows the end of the three consecutive takes filling my cards and the switch to SI and its massive bitrate on the bottom right. Note the sweet eye AF !

Cheers

Chris

EDIT: quick update, ran through the 27 minutes at the SI's crazy bitrate, camera is warm, no overheat warnings. I'm switching to 24p to see if the 7k oversampling has more of an impact.

Jan 05, 2022 at 02:08 PM
joychris
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Ran some more tests. Took a lot but I finally got mine to overheat. I filled a 128gb card shooting SI at 4k60p which was 27 minutes, no issues. Then I switched to 24p which filled another card in 1hr 8 min, no issues. Then I did a simultaneous recording, 4k60p XAVC S - so it recorded 1hr 20 min to both cards, no issues. So my conclusion is after 7 straight hours of recording - only stopping to swap batteries and delete those long ass takes - my camera has zero issues with the screen out.

So then I put the screen into the body and did the simultaneous 4k60p recording again. It shut down after 27 minutes recording to both cards. I flipped the camera off and then right back on and hit record and got over 14 minutes more recording before it shut down - again recording to both cards. This was after all the previous recording and the camera was already pretty warm.

I never shoot with the screen flat against the body. I'm 6'2" and never have the camera at eye level, the screen is always flipped out so I can see it. Over 7 hours works for me, the a7IV is a keeper. A few more shots of the camera in action.

Cheers

Chris

Jan 05, 2022 at 06:24 PM
v3suv1us

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Is there a possibility to reduce the possibility of overheating if using a high speed sd card when recording, for example sd card v60, v90 or cfexpress instead of v30
my logic, if we use a higher speed sd card, then the throttle when writing high bitrate video does not occur so it reduces the possibility of overheating due to hard work on the sd card
is there any possibility like this?

Jan 05, 2022 at 09:53 PM
Leonberger
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

I spoke directly with the rep from Sony who works in Florida and whose job is to personally reach out to Sony customers experiencing this issue and gather information and report back to the engineers in Japan.

Essentially they said that they have had customers reporting to Sony about the issue but right now Sony is gathering as much information about it as possible. The problem for Sony is the units Sony has in their offices are not overheating so they cannot re-create the issue themselves. Therefore they are relying on us users to provide them with everything we have

Right now Sony has asked me to do the following:

Please send me unedited copies of the clips that show the issue. Just upload these images to a drop box and reply to this email with the link containing the sample clips. Please send only ďUneditedĒ Clips. And I will review these and get back to you with my findings.

Thatís all for now for my update

Jan 06, 2022 at 08:52 AM
wittyphrase
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Leonberger wrote:
I spoke directly with the rep from Sony who works in Florida and whose job is to personally reach out to Sony customers experiencing this issue and gather information and report back to the engineers in Japan.

Essentially they said that they have had customers reporting to Sony about the issue but right now Sony is gathering as much information about it as possible. The problem for Sony is the units Sony has in their offices are not overheating so they cannot re-create the issue themselves. Therefore they are relying on us users to provide them with everything we have

Right
...Show more

I guess thatís a somewhat positive update on a crummy situation. I donít seem to have the overheating issue, though Iíve not pushed it too hard yet. But that doesnít take away from the those that are experiencing the issue. In that case, while itís unfortunate itís happening at all itís good that there is someone responsible for outreach to gather the information necessary to resolve it.

Jan 06, 2022 at 09:17 AM
Leonberger
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Iím currently using the V90II 300mb cards and am experiencing overheating

v3suv1us wrote:
Is there a possibility to reduce the possibility of overheating if using a high speed sd card when recording, for example sd card v60, v90 or cfexpress instead of v30
my logic, if we use a higher speed sd card, then the throttle when writing high bitrate video does not occur so it reduces the possibility of overheating due to hard work on the sd card
is there any possibility like this?

Jan 06, 2022 at 10:52 AM
Leonberger
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

It for sure is an interesting situation as the Sony rep said it would not make sense to send your camera to us for repair as we have no idea what we would be fixing yet.

wittyphrase wrote:
I guess thatís a somewhat positive update on a crummy situation. I donít seem to have the overheating issue, though Iíve not pushed it too hard yet. But that doesnít take away from the those that are experiencing the issue. In that case, while itís unfortunate itís happening at all itís good that there is someone responsible for outreach to gather the information necessary to resolve it.

Jan 06, 2022 at 10:53 AM
patotts
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

It is a bit curious that the A7IV was out in Europe and Asia for 2 weeks before North America, and no one was reporting overheating issues but it seems to be frequent in units coming to US and Canada. Could there be issues in a certain batch?

Regardless, I haven't stress-tested mine, it works fine in everyday use/the way I use it.

Jan 06, 2022 at 11:12 AM
nycdarkness
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Small body, if the screen isn't out it's going to overheat, A1 also over heats if not set to high and screen out.

Jan 06, 2022 at 11:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie N
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

patotts wrote:
It is a bit curious that the A7IV was out in Europe and Asia for 2 weeks before North America, and no one was reporting overheating issues but it seems to be frequent in units coming to US and Canada. Could there be issues in a certain batch?

Regardless, I haven't stress-tested mine, it works fine in everyday use/the way I use it.

As long as the screen is out or even ajar, not going to be a big problem. This is something Sony users are accustomed to, pulling the screen out prevents most issues. Itís just something that you need to be aware of, itís not a cinema camera, but with care, you can stretch it out a lot.

Jan 06, 2022 at 12:06 PM
Leonberger
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Sorry but this is false.

I left my Sony A7IV on my office table, screen out and recorded 4k24 for 35 min. Switched over immediately to 4k60 and the camera overheated in just over 2min. As previously mentioned this would be a disaster for me on something like a wedding shoot.

No hand holding whatsoever and it was done in a cool basement.

Charlie N wrote:
As long as the screen is out or even ajar, not going to be a big problem. This is something Sony users are accustomed to, pulling the screen out prevents most issues. Itís just something that you need to be aware of, itís not a cinema camera, but with care, you can stretch it out a lot.

Jan 06, 2022 at 12:40 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Leonberger wrote:
Sorry but this is false.

I left my Sony A7IV on my office table, screen out and recorded 4k24 for 35 min. Switched over immediately to 4k60 and the camera overheated in just over 2min. As previously mentioned this would be a disaster for me on something like a wedding shoot.

No hand holding whatsoever and it was done in a cool basement.

change your recording parameters till you find something that works, hint, highest bitrates not gonna cut it.

Jan 06, 2022 at 01:00 PM
JCserver

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

I am using SanDisk V30 extreme pro cards so I canít do the high bitrates at the moment. I thought high compression h265 would need more processing rather than all intra. I did a bunch of short clips yesterday outdoors handheld in my typical usage (low 70s F temp) and camera was manually turned off between clips and no issues with overheating. Did not run a long test yet.

Jan 06, 2022 at 01:27 PM
joychris
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Leonberger wrote:

Right
...Show more

I had an a99 back in the day that would overheat after just a few minutes of being on and shut down. It was complete trash. I went through this over the course of a couple months with Sony's engineers. They had me ship them my camera and sent me a new one that I promptly sold and I've been in the E-mount since.

If you're still within the return window, I'd exchange your copy. It took a lot to get mine to overheat, even with a warm camera after 7 hours of 4k60p recording, I still got 27 minutes of dual recording when I put the LCD against the body - which generates the fastest overheat times. And like I said, I immediately restarted it and got another 14. As much as I tried, I couldn't get mine to even show the warning with the LCD out.

Chris

Jan 06, 2022 at 01:37 PM
Leonberger
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

thanks I did drop my camera off at the store I purchased it at up here in Canada (Vistek) who is looking at it themselves and are very close with the Sony rep in the area apparently. I will see what they say.

joychris wrote:
I had an a99 back in the day that would overheat after just a few minutes of being on and shut down. It was complete trash. I went through this over the course of a couple months with Sony's engineers. They had me ship them my camera and sent me a new one that I promptly sold and I've been in the E-mount since.

If you're still within the return window, I'd exchange your copy. It took a lot to get mine to overheat, even with a warm camera after 7 hours of 4k60p recording, I still got 27 minutes of
...Show more

Jan 06, 2022 at 02:06 PM
Leonberger
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

Again it is most likely the cameras fault but I did not pay $3600 CDN after tax to not be able to use features of a camera that Sony included. That literally makes zero sense. It is 10bit 4:2:2 or bust.

Charlie N wrote:
change your recording parameters till you find something that works, hint, highest bitrates not gonna cut it.

Jan 06, 2022 at 02:08 PM
tschopp
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

It seems pretty clear your camera has a problem. I would exchange it, or if that is a problem return it.

We had a Dell laptop that was overheating. Dell decided it needed a new motherboard. The Dell tech came to the office and replaced the motherboard. The overheating problem continued. But watching the tech we learned how to open the laptop. We opened the laptop and discovered the gpu was not making good contact with the heat sink. We created a copper shim to fill the gap between the gpu and the heat sink. Problem solved.

Your camera sounds like it has a thermal management problem. This canít be fixed via firmware. Realistically the only way Sony engineering will understand what is going on is to open camera and look inside. If they havenít asked for the camera to do that, it wonít get fixed.

It sounds like it has capabilities well below what is expected. That would be from a manufacturer defect in the thermal management.

Jan 06, 2022 at 10:22 PM
jslaven

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

I definitely need to test mine out while I'm still in the return window. Haven't done video stress tests, just been taking it out for stills ever since I got mine in. If I encounter any issues I'll follow up on here

Jan 07, 2022 at 03:28 AM
joychris
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony A7IV - Overheating

I posted my results on FB and some said they were getting much shorter record times and didn't have airplane mode on - which is the way I shoot. Gonna try more today with it off to see what kind of a difference that makes.

Chris

Jan 07, 2022 at 08:35 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password