New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Pocket Wizard II

Wingspar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pocket Wizard II

I’ve had these for a very long time. Always worked. Now all of a sudden they will not trigger the camera and flash. Fresh batteries installed last July. Camera is a Nikon D800. Flash is a White Lightning X800. What could be wrong here?

Jan 01, 2022 at 04:42 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pocket Wizard II

There are quite a few variables that need to be eliminated.

Is this occurring when you have the transmitter on the camera and you fire the camera? I assume you've tried pressing the trigger button on the transmitter too? When you do, does the red LED turn on? Does the LED also turn on on the receiver? Set the channel to either 1 or 4, so you're at a hard stop on the switch. Sometimes it can get moved slightly and you think you're on 2 but it's really on 1 or 3, for example. And do the same for the receiver.

If it's the transceiver model you also have to check that you have the right transmit mode set. IIRC setting to 'both' should be fine.

If the LEDs indicate the signal is getting across, yet the flash isn't firing, try a different cable. It could also be possible the jack on the PW is broken.

If having no luck, contact LPA. The last time I did (a long time ago), they were very helpful.

Jan 01, 2022 at 11:15 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pocket Wizard II

Here's a video that should help. There are also multiple videos on You Tube on troubleshooting PW II's.

https://pocketwizard.com/category/troubleshooting/

Jan 03, 2022 at 06:41 AM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pocket Wizard II

My setup is studio light plugged into the camera.
Pocket Wizard plugged into the camera via the chord pictured below
Second Pocket Wizard in my hand. Both set to channel 1.

Both lights on PW’x light up when I press the test button, but camera does not fire. With both PW’s still hooked up, I can press the shutter button on the camera and the flash will fire, but not with the Pocket Wizards. This is the same exact setup I have always used. Same transmit mode both set to remote. I don’t think I’ve ever tried the other settings until it stopped working and I was trying everything before starting this thread. I only have the one cable pictured below.

Unfortunately, as I was walking out of the room to take the card to the computer, I heard a thud behind me and the camera was laying on the ground and is now inoperable. Grrrrr. It looks like it will have to go back to Nikon. Grrrrr So, it will be a while before I can get back to trying this.

Pictured below are a couple of photos of the cable that goes between the camera and the Pocket Wizard. This cable could be bad, but it’s been so many years since I set this system up, I have no idea what this cable is called and can’t find anything online that resembles it. Does anyone know what this cable is called? It was made by Paramount.

Jan 03, 2022 at 07:42 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pocket Wizard II

I have one without the shutter button and it has a switch to keep the camera awake or not depending on the switch position. I can not find the maker but there are other options available.

You could look at the Pocket Wizard N10-ACC cable.
https://pocketwizard.com/products/n10-acc-remote-acc-cable/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599294-REG/PocketWizard_802_454_N90M_AC_ND_Pre_Trigger_Motor_Drive.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/876525-REG/impact_ptc_n1_powersync_pre_trigger_cable_for.html

Another option is to buy yourself a wireless trigger like the SMDV-4s. It plugs into the 10 pin port, you carry the wireless remote to trigger the camera. Mount your PW Plus II on the hot shoe and every time you press the wireless release the PW will fire, no need to plug a flash cable into the camera anymore. Let your PW's do the flash triggering. I use one of these all the time when I need to set up a shot without the model and it works great as a wireless release should you need long exposures too.

http://www.smdv-usa.com/shutter-release.html

Jan 03, 2022 at 09:49 PM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pocket Wizard II

JBPhotog wrote:
I have one without the shutter button and it has a switch to keep the camera awake or not depending on the switch position. I can not find the maker but there are other options available.

You could look at the Pocket Wizard N10-ACC cable.
https://pocketwizard.com/products/n10-acc-remote-acc-cable/

I saw that earlier, but the brass end with the threads threw me off. It looks nothing like the cord in my photo. What does that brass knob with threads do?

Jan 04, 2022 at 01:34 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pocket Wizard II

Wingspar wrote:
I saw that earlier, but the brass end with the threads threw me off. It looks nothing like the cord in my photo. What does that brass knob with threads do?

The 10 socket is threaded, the brass collar has male threads so it can be screwed into the 10 pin socket so it won’t come out. From pretty much day one Nikon has used female threaded 10 pin sockets on their cameras and/or motor drives for communication and remote releases.

The SMDV wireless release also has a threaded collar which keeps it snug and protects it from turning in the socket which can damage them.

Jan 04, 2022 at 01:46 AM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pocket Wizard II

It’s hard to see into the 10 pin connector on the camera, but it does look like there are threads in there. I never knew that. The 10 pin end of the cord in my photos fits so snug, it takes some effort to remove it.

Jan 04, 2022 at 02:22 AM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pocket Wizard II

An update. I hooked an old D300 body up to the PW’s as I normally do, and the PW’s triggered the strobe normally, so it looks like it’s the D800 body, and not the chord that is in my photos earlier. Guess it’s time for a new body.

Jan 06, 2022 at 07:02 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.