Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
18
       end
  

African safari talk...recommendations?

  
 
evertdoorn
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · African safari talk...recommendations?


very nice shot!

So, I've placed a pre-order for an RF 400 2.8 + extenders. Hoping to borrow one from CPS to try it before I get a call from my dealer.. Should be a very good lens for my style of shooting and preferred subjects.



Oct 26, 2022 at 07:35 AM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · African safari talk...recommendations?


ChrisHA wrote:
If I had the RF400/2.8 - drool! - I wouldnít worry so much about high ISO noise; but, the R5 is for my RF100-500. I originally bought the R3 because I wanted the larger batteries for my EF500 II/1.4x, not to mention the EVF, FPS and ruggedness. At Ndutu where I go to find cheetah families, we can drive off road; but, we always give mamas a lot of space for successful hunts and relaxed family time. Thus, the need for a longer rig. I donít know how much longer that Iíll be doing wild cat family centric trips, so
...Show more

Chris, no doubt the R3 is an amazing camera I shoot it side by side with the R5 as well but only for super fast action. R3/500 will be an amazing combo. In fact if you spend a lot of time with Cheetahs you might get that opportunity to attempt capturing a cheetah in flight. As for leopard cubs, I haven't posted any photos yet so maybe you are confusing me with someone else who posted photos of the leopard cubs. The only leopard cub I saw was about 1yr old and he was almost the same size as his Mother, and that was in the Mara North Conservancy.



Oct 26, 2022 at 09:04 AM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · African safari talk...recommendations?


Alan Kefauver wrote:
Not a Cheetah, but this Leopard was being harried by four Jackals and came running right toward the Hide in the Kalahari.
Just at sunset,
R5 with RF 100-500 1/1250 ISO 40,000 ES (DxO Denoise)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52311873777_0608561d88_b.jpgLeopard-30 by Alan Kefauver, on Flickr


Nice shot Alan!



Oct 26, 2022 at 09:06 AM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · African safari talk...recommendations?


evertdoorn wrote:
very nice shot!

So, I've placed a pre-order for an RF 400 2.8 + extenders. Hoping to borrow one from CPS to try it before I get a call from my dealer.. Should be a very good lens for my style of shooting and preferred subjects.


I think you will love it. I shot it mostly at 400 but did use the 1.4x and 2x occasionally just to mix it up. I'm sure you're already aware, but this time of the year where I visited the heat shimmer sets in fairly early in the day so the longer glass will be affected late morning when it starts warming up. It's even worse shooting at large apertures.



Oct 26, 2022 at 09:10 AM
evertdoorn
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · African safari talk...recommendations?


artsupreme wrote:
I think you will love it. I shot it mostly at 400 but did use the 1.4x and 2x occasionally just to mix it up. I'm sure you're already aware, but this time of the year where I visited the heat shimmer sets in fairly early in the day so the longer glass will be affected late morning when it starts warming up. It's even worse shooting at large apertures.


Thanks and yes I know; the very first time I encountered this phenomenom I could not figure out what was wrong with the camera or lens

It is a pretty cool effect when you film it



Oct 26, 2022 at 11:27 AM
VKM2F
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · African safari talk...recommendations?


artsupreme wrote:
Nice, so is that approximately an 11hr flight to Amsterdam and then a 9hr flight to Arusha? If so that's a bout an hour less flight time than what I did for LAX to Doha to Nairobi. Layover was only a couple hours in Doha.

As for gear, the only time I would have wanted the R3 in Africa was for a Cheetah kill when I was trying to track the Cheetah full speed at 75mph across the plain. But that was only for a total of 3 whole seconds of my 2.5+ week trip. There were four other vehicles waiting
...Show more

I had similar experiences witnessing a couple of cheetah hunts earlier this month. It's over so fast the stars really have to align to get something half decent. The other challenge was that I found I couldn't rely on the animal eye AF on my R5, it struggled to lock onto the cat amongst the tall grass. The conditions were a lot to ask of the AF system, to be fair. And then, as you said, you do your best to position yourself but you never know for sure which way the chase is going to go. I managed one image, nothing special, of a chase that wound up successful for the cheetah.










Oct 26, 2022 at 11:29 AM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · African safari talk...recommendations?


evertdoorn wrote:
Thanks and yes I know; the very first time I encountered this phenomenom I could not figure out what was wrong with the camera or lens

It is a pretty cool effect when you film it


Hahaha...as i was laying in the dirt in Amboseli shooting elephants I was wondering WTF was wrong with my camera/lens because it wasn't focusing properly. It wasn't hot, it was fairly early in the AM, and so I wasn't even thinking about heat shimmer. But it turned out it was the problem...

It ruined several of my shots but I spot checked a few more yesterday and there's actually some artsy shots with focused heads and distorted legs that look pretty cool.

And yes I filmed a ton of it. I think most of the video I shot you can clearly see it. It looks like it was a blistering 120 degrees but it wasn't very hot at all.



Oct 26, 2022 at 11:35 AM
robert_in_ca
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · African safari talk...recommendations?


Having shot both the R3 and R5 with the RF 400mm 2.8, I prefer the R3 for multiple reasons. However you canít under estimate the pixel density/resolution you get from the R5Ö especially when youíre shooting at lower ISO.

I am heading to South Africa and Botswana next month for 4 weeksóas you know I donít have Canon kit anymore but Iíll be testing the hell out of the Z9 and my Z 400mm 2.8S TC. Glad to hear you had a good time.

artsupreme wrote:
Chris, no doubt the R3 is an amazing camera I shoot it side by side with the R5 as well but only for super fast action. R3/500 will be an amazing combo. In fact if you spend a lot of time with Cheetahs you might get that opportunity to attempt capturing a cheetah in flight. As for leopard cubs, I haven't posted any photos yet so maybe you are confusing me with someone else who posted photos of the leopard cubs. The only leopard cub I saw was about 1yr old and he was almost the same size as his
...Show more


Edited on Oct 26, 2022 at 12:15 PM · View previous versions



Oct 26, 2022 at 12:04 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · African safari talk...recommendations?


VKM2F wrote:
I had similar experiences witnessing a couple of cheetah hunts earlier this month. It's over so fast the stars really have to align to get something half decent. The other challenge was that I found I couldn't rely on the animal eye AF on my R5, it struggled to lock onto the cat amongst the tall grass. The conditions were a lot to ask of the AF system, to be fair. And then, as you said, you do your best to position yourself but you never know for sure which way the chase is going to go. I managed one
...Show more

That's a pretty damn good shot considering everything else I've seen. And yes, I didn't use eye AF at all after I realized how poor it was performing, especially in the tall grass. So many good shots are ruined by just a blade or two of grass getting in the way, but I guess that's the challenge of staying low and shooting shallow DOF. Would have been much easier to shoot smaller apertures like the 100-500 in the tall grass.

The day I witnessed the cheetah kill was like a marathon workout and brain stress test. We were in the vehicle for 12hrs that day. I was on the floor positioning myself in a very uncomfortable position for what seems like an eternity. All while holding my 400 and making sure the R5 stayed awake without killing the battery. I was debating grabbing the 100-500 for easy holding, but I decided to stick with the 400 and muscle it out. It's very draining to keep scanning the horizon looking for a tiny spec in the distance of what you think might be the cheetah. And constantly scan the field to watch for any abrupt movements. Constantly aiming your camera and be ready for the quick action to move in any direction. It would have been much easier to sit in the seat and prop camera on the side like everyone else, but I wanted to stay low and so it was very draining. A set of knee pads would have been great to have. Luckily, I spotted the commotion in the distance with some impala and I guessed right as to where the cheetah would appear from behind the bush. I told everyone "here she comes" and then it sounded like war with a flurry of shutters blasting for the quick chase. Quite an adrenaline rush and glad we put in the time to see it happen.



Oct 26, 2022 at 12:06 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · African safari talk...recommendations?


I am considering an expedition into the garage, I wonder if David Attenborough would be interested?


Oct 26, 2022 at 12:07 PM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · African safari talk...recommendations?


robert_in_ca wrote:
Having shot both the R3 and R5 with the RF 400mm 2.8, I prefer the R3 for multiple reasons. However you canít under estimate the pixel density/resolution you get from the R5Ö especially when youíre shooting at lower ISO.

I heading to South Africa and Botswana next month for 4 weeksóas you know I donít have Canon kit anymore but Iíll be testing the hell out of the Z9 and my Z 400mm 2.8S TC. Glad to hear you had a good time.



4 weeks!?!? So jealous. I'm sure the Z9/400 TC combo will be amazing! Canon needs to follow suit.

Yes, the R3 would have yielded more keepers but I don't think I missed much with the R5 considering most of the movement I was shooting was fairly easy to track. R5 definiitely misses occasionally with the shallow DOF but it does a great job overall.





Oct 26, 2022 at 12:17 PM
robert_in_ca
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · African safari talk...recommendations?


Well I am off to SA tomorrow. Iíll let you know how the Nikon does. Heading out with the Z9, Z 400mm 2.8TC, Z7ii, Z 70-200mm 2.8, Z x1.4TC

artsupreme wrote:
4 weeks!?!? So jealous. I'm sure the Z9/400 TC combo will be amazing! Canon needs to follow suit.

Yes, the R3 would have yielded more keepers but I don't think I missed much with the R5 considering most of the movement I was shooting was fairly easy to track. R5 definiitely misses occasionally with the shallow DOF but it does a great job overall.




















Nov 23, 2022 at 04:34 PM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · African safari talk...recommendations?


robert_in_ca wrote:
Well I am off to SA tomorrow. Iíll let you know how the Nikon does. Heading out with the Z9, Z 400mm 2.8TC, Z7ii, Z 70-200mm 2.8, Z x1.4TC



Nice, that's the perfect setup in my opinion. Would be my number one pick if I went back. I sure wish Canon would catch up with the built in TC's. Have a great time.



Nov 23, 2022 at 05:29 PM
evertdoorn
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · African safari talk...recommendations?


Have a great time!

So I made the jump and picked up my RF 400 2.8 yesterday and extenders. Had a CPS loaner and liked it so much, I'm now selling my EF 500. 400 suits my style more and having the flexibility if needed with the TC's I think I'm good. Sure wish it had a built-in extender but it is what it is. Wish I made this move before my Pantanal trip, but looking forward to using this on the trips I'm hosting in the Mara in feb.



Nov 24, 2022 at 12:42 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · African safari talk...recommendations?


evertdoorn wrote:
Have a great time!

So I made the jump and picked up my RF 400 2.8 yesterday and extenders. Had a CPS loaner and liked it so much, I'm now selling my EF 500. 400 suits my style more and having the flexibility if needed with the TC's I think I'm good. Sure wish it had a built-in extender but it is what it is. Wish I made this move before my Pantanal trip, but looking forward to using this on the trips I'm hosting in the Mara in feb.


This year on safari I used the 500/4 II much more with a 1.4x III than without, but the 100-500 does much of the "short" stuff. Is the RF 400/2.8 really any better than the EF IS II or IS III? Years ago I tried a (heavy) 400/2.8 IS II on FF and it was so often too short, so I went with the 200-400/4 TC for a while, but always gravitated back to 500mm. Maybe the style now with 45+ MP is to shoot wider?

EBH



Nov 24, 2022 at 01:00 AM
evertdoorn
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · African safari talk...recommendations?


It really depends on where you are I think. Often the 500 is just a bit too tight for me. I'd rather shoot a bit wider and then crop a bit (indeed, R5). Also, although I like close-ups I also like a bit of context in the images now and then. If I look at my Lightroom cats of trips, the 1.4 is used in maybe 15 or 20% of cases. So I did get the 2x extender which would get me to 800mm.

One thing to note is that I am not much of a birder.

I think the II is more than sharp enough (and the III too for sure), but the II is much heavier. This lens is very well hand holdable. I looked hard but could not find a second hand mk III for a decent price, so decided to go straight for the RF version.



Nov 24, 2022 at 06:09 AM
1       2       3              17      
18
       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
18
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password