New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       18              50       51       end

African safari talk...recommendations?

evertdoorn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · African safari talk...recommendations?

artsupreme wrote:
I like shooting wide open to limit DOF if possible but I realize if subject is too close it might not be enough. But back on page 8 Primus's photo of the Cheetahs I think is probably my favorite image of this whole thread taken wide open with the 400 2.8. So I have decided to take my RF 400 instead of the 600. The 400 is great with both extenders so I'm thinking that's the best lens for me. I'll also have zooms if I need them.

Just saw in that 100-500 vs 200-400 thread you returned from your Africa trip; curious to hear your experiences! One particular question already; how did you like the 400 (and the use with extenders)? I've made a request with CPS for a loan RF 400 w extenders to give them a try since I'm very seriously now contemplating selling my EF 500 II and getting the 400.

Oct 17, 2022 at 03:03 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · African safari talk...recommendations?

I just returned from my first African safari. I'm glad I spent hours and hours researching and planning my trip the way I did because I saw exactly what I had hoped to see and it all worked out well. Back when I was booking my trip it was still difficult to cross borders in Africa with Covid so I decided to visit different regions in Kenya and Rwanda. It worked out very well and Kenya is a beautiful Country with beautiful people. I went to Amboseli for elephants, up North to Lewa for Rhinos, the Mara for the cats, and Rwanda for Gorillas. These areas all have very different terrain so the variety in both scenery and game was nice. I got the dry season look I was hoping for other than some early rains that turned some areas a little greener than I prefer. I spent a day at the Nairobi National Park to get warmed up and I would highly recommend it if you have some time to kill near Nairobi. As for gear, I ended up taking waay too many accessories but I was prepared for the worst. Next time I can lighten my load a little on the accessory and clothing side. As for camera gear, I took the gear in the attached photo along with a DJI Mini 3 Pro drone and GoPro 10. Drones aren't allowed there but I figured out a way to get mine in. If I was only allowed to take one lens on another similar trip it would be the RF 400. I found it perfect for my use and found the 400 range to work nicely in the conservancies. To answer some of my own questions when I started this thread:

1. The regions I mentioned above in late September and October gave me exactly what I was looking for as far as scenery and the big 5. It also gave me the dry season look I was after. Other than some abnormal early season rain showers it was mostly dry and dusty, just the way I like it. I got private vehicles at all camps for a friend and I. We had our girlfriends with us so there was a maximum of 4 people in the vehicle at all times. I would not do it any other way. Ideally two photographers to share the whole vehicle would be ideal.
2. I took (4) R5's with associated lenses. Wide angle was rarely used other than to get some wide angle tree silhouettes. If I went back I would rate and take the lenses in this order:

RF 400
70-200 2.8
200-400
100-500
14-35

I could probably get away with just an RF 400 and 70-200 2.8 for just about everything. I was in the conservancies where the drivers can go off-road. Heat shimmer ruins a lot of the long shots, even when it's not too late in the day so I'm glad I brought the 400 over the 600. I spent a ton of time preparing for the weight issues and it all worked out perfectly. I had to buy some international sized roller bags that weighed 5.3lbs each and I stuffed them with my camera gear, bubble wrap, air bags, and packed vests. I weighed everything ahead of time to make sure I didn't get called out and have to check any gear. When I did get called out I just removed the heavy photo vests from inside and put them on knowing my remains gear and bubble wrap would not exceed the weight limits. This worked out perfectly.

3. No they do not allow drones but I was able to take mine and got some cool footage.
4. I took some cheap battery chargers that were very lightweight and worked out very well. I did not touch my canon chargers (bricks) and would not take them back again. Most vehicles have chargers you can plug into and obviously all camps should have charging stations as well.
5. I overpacked for sure, with clothing and accessories. For the places I visited the climate was very similar to California in the fall. It's cold in the mornings and evenings especially with wind chill from driving. It gets nice and warm during the day, even hot a during a few days. All I really needed was a puffer jacket and then short sleeves for the rest of the day until sunset. Cargo pants and boots every day. Other than clothing I also took way too many camera accessories like filters, chargers, SSD's, memory cards, plug adapters, power adapters, batteries, cables, etc that I did not end up using. I also lugged a small tripod around that I never used and would not bring one back. I figured I might have time to do some astro photography with a tripod but it turned out I had zero time at all as I was hustling from 5am until about 7pm and then it was time to charge batteries, backup memory cards, eat, and plan to do it all over again and get up the next morning at 430am.
6. I did not take any medication or inoculations. Everyone else took Malarone but I took nothing and was fine.
7. PM me if you would like any contacts for doing a Kenyan Safari
8. I went first class with private vehicles and flew everywhere instead of driving so I paid the upper end of the spectrum. I think a nice two week safari could be done for 13K per head or less depending on your needs.

Some observations:
-It's amazing how much damage the elephants do to the Acacia tree forests. They clear forests as if there was nothing there. It's a shame but they do what they do.
-I didn't realize how intrusive the safari vehicles are to the wildlife. I can't imaging going during the busy season for the migrations when there's 50+ vehicles jockeying for position. No thanks. I was in the conservancies with only 5-6 vehicles allowed at a sighting and the jockeying was aggressive by some of the vehicles. IMO, these vehicles are getting way too close to the wildlife. It's because all the tourists want to hold out their iPhones from 10ft away and get selfies. I was telling my drivers to stay back as I had the 400 in my hands 90% of the time. The vehicles are 10x more intrusive than my drone is but I understand why they don't allow drones as there are too many irresponsible people.
-You really need to put your time in to get the opportunities you are looking for. It can get exhausting being out from sun up until sun down every day. One day we tracked cheetahs in the Mara all day and were in the vehicle for a total of 12hrs. It paid off because we eventually saw the kill happen right in front of us. It was one of the highlights along with a Lion kill we saw in Amboseli.
-Don't count on getting those amazing African sunsets. At least this time of the year there were a lot of gray skies and no color in sunrise or sunset. I only got a few good ones during the whole time I was there.
-Having a good driver makes all the difference. I had quite a variety of drivers and I bonded with a few of them. I taught a couple of them photography and let them use my gear. It was fun to lay on the ground with my new Maasai buddy and teach him how to use my R5 200-400. One of them caught on really quickly and could be a great photographer if I could figure out how to get him a nice camera.
-the drought is really taking it's toll on the wildlife and Maasai people. A friend and I are going to try and raise money to build a well for one of the Maasai villages. They are losing a ton of cattle.
-Jackals are badass little dudes. They are fearless.
-Buffalos are very aggressive. We got charged by a lonely male. He was ramming the vehicle and chasing a few vehicles behind us. According to all the locals, the buffalo are what you have to fear most in Africa. You can walk freely in the bush and not worry about Lions but you do have to worry about buffalo.
-The process of watching a cheetah kill from start to finish is very interesting. You have the cheetahs standing guard and eating as fast as they can hoping to polish everything before the hyenas show up. Once they do show up you have hyenas, vultures, and jackals all fighting for whatever the cats didn't eat.

That's it for now. Feel free to ask questions if I missed anything. I haven't started digging into my photos yet but I'll post some when I dig into them next week.

Oct 17, 2022 at 04:18 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · African safari talk...recommendations?

evertdoorn wrote:
Just saw in that 100-500 vs 200-400 thread you returned from your Africa trip; curious to hear your experiences! One particular question already; how did you like the 400 (and the use with extenders)? I've made a request with CPS for a loan RF 400 w extenders to give them a try since I'm very seriously now contemplating selling my EF 500 II and getting the 400.

I love the RF 400. I've owned all the big whites including the 600 and for me the RF 400 is the ideal Safari lens. I used it mostly without extenders. I feel there's enough happening in that range to use it 90% of the time and you can tell your driver where to position yourselves. I was hanging over the side often holding it with the lens foot to stay low. It feels very lightweight to me considering it's lighter than the 200-400.

Oct 17, 2022 at 04:22 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · African safari talk...recommendations?

artsupreme wrote:
I love the RF 400. I've owned all the big whites including the 600 and for me the RF 400 is the ideal Safari lens. I used it mostly without extenders. I feel there's enough happening in that range to use it 90% of the time and you can tell your driver where to position yourselves. I was hanging over the side often holding it with the lens foot to stay low. It feels very lightweight to me considering it's lighter than the 200-400.

That's great to hear, thank you for the feedback. Can't wait to try it. And of course can't wait to see your images and hear about your experiences; bet it was a blast!

Oct 18, 2022 at 01:52 AM
codyconway
• • •
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · African safari talk...recommendations?

artsupreme wrote:
I just returned from my first African safari. I'm glad I spent hours and hours researching and planning my trip the way I did because I saw exactly what I had hoped to see and it all worked out well. Back when I was booking my trip it was still difficult to cross borders in Africa with Covid so I decided to visit different regions in Kenya and Rwanda. It worked out very well and Kenya is a beautiful Country with beautiful people. I went to Amboseli for elephants, up North to Lewa for Rhinos, the Mara for the cats,
...Show more

We may have crossed paths somewhere! We returned a week ago from 2 weeks in Kenya spending the majority in Mara and a couple days in Nairobi National Park and Amboseli National Park. Amboseli had to be the saddest image I've ever seen traveling with how bad the drought has destroyed that area. Dead Zebra and Wildebeest were astronomical, and the smell of death was overpowering.

Oct 20, 2022 at 09:47 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · African safari talk...recommendations?

artsupreme wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the RF 400.. I knew you would!

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:18 AM
VKM2F
• •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · African safari talk...recommendations?

Just returned from my safari to Kenya. It feels so long ago that I first contributed to this post and now my trip has come and gone! I shared some images over in the wildlife forum:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1779167

Oct 20, 2022 at 01:22 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · African safari talk...recommendations?

codyconway wrote:
We may have crossed paths somewhere! We returned a week ago from 2 weeks in Kenya spending the majority in Mara and a couple days in Nairobi National Park and Amboseli National Park. Amboseli had to be the saddest image I've ever seen traveling with how bad the drought has destroyed that area. Dead Zebra and Wildebeest were astronomical, and the smell of death was overpowering.

Yes, I'm sure we very well could have. It looks like a lot of FM members were out there recently so we could have easily been shooting at the same location at the same time. As for Amboseli, we nicknamed that killing zone the "Waste Land" because the Lions are so spoiled down there they only eat 10% of their kill and let the rest go to waste and rot. The hyenas, vultures, and jackals can't even eat it all so there's just dead carcasses everywhere.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:57 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · African safari talk...recommendations?

robert_in_ca wrote:
Glad you enjoyed the RF 400.. I knew you would!

It's my favorite but I'll be putting it up for sale soon because I'll be shooting in the water all winter and the 400 doesn't fit in my housings

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:58 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · African safari talk...recommendations?

VKM2F wrote:
Just returned from my safari to Kenya. It feels so long ago that I first contributed to this post and now my trip has come and gone! I shared some images over in the wildlife forum:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1779167

Good stuff, I'm sure we crossed paths.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

robert_in_ca
• • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · African safari talk...recommendations?

artsupreme wrote:
It's my favorite but I'll be putting it up for sale soon because I'll be shooting in the water all winter and the 400 doesn't fit in my housings

I hear that!!!

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:13 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · African safari talk...recommendations?

artsupreme wrote:

too bad you're not a bit closer, would not mind picking up an RF 400 second hand

Oct 22, 2022 at 03:04 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · African safari talk...recommendations?

artsupreme wrote:
Yes, I'm sure we very well could have. It looks like a lot of FM members were out there recently so we could have easily been shooting at the same location at the same time. As for Amboseli, we nicknamed that killing zone the "Waste Land" because the Lions are so spoiled down there they only eat 10% of their kill and let the rest go to waste and rot. The hyenas, vultures, and jackals can't even eat it all so there's just dead carcasses everywhere.

Exactly, the lions have the luxury of a long life there too as one of the males we spent time with was a known 17 year old who was mostly by himself with a couple lioness to hunt for him occasionally. He was in VERY rough shape though being so old

Oct 23, 2022 at 09:22 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · African safari talk...recommendations?

For all of you in the US on the West Coast what is your preferred flight path and airline to get to Kenya or Tanzania? I flew from LAX to Qatar and then to Nairobi. It was one 16hr flight and one 5hr flight. Curious to hear your preferred flight paths, especially from those who've been there several times.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:04 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · African safari talk...recommendations?

artsupreme wrote:
For all of you in the US on the West Coast what is your preferred flight path and airline to get to Kenya or Tanzania? I flew from LAX to Qatar and then to Nairobi. It was one 16hr flight and one 5hr flight. Curious to hear your preferred flight paths, especially from those who've been there several times.

LAX to Kilimanjaro Airport in TZ, I usually take Qatar Airways (big fan of the Qsuite) via Doha. However the quickest route is on KLM via Amsterdam which is 20 hrs. In the end I prefer Qatar (done that trip 3 times now) as the service is excellent and I prefer to avoid transiting through Europe whenever possible.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:41 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · African safari talk...recommendations?

robert_in_ca wrote:
LAX to Kilimanjaro Airport in TZ, I usually take Qatar Airways (big fan of the Qsuite) via Doha. However the quickest route is on KLM via Amsterdam which is 20 hrs. In the end I prefer Qatar (done that trip 3 times now) as the service is excellent and I prefer to avoid transiting through Europe whenever possible.

Nice, sounds like I took the best route from LA then. I went through Doha as well and Qatar Airlines was great but I was wondering if there was a shorter path....sounds like there is but maybe not worth it. Thanks Robert.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:06 AM
ChrisHA
• •
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · African safari talk...recommendations?

To Tanzania, I’ve taken KLM SFO:Arusha via Amsterdam 11x and I hear that Qatar biz is over top. A few friends have had delayed luggage with them through. And Art, thanks for the trip report. I just ordered a R5 to replace an 1DxII as back up to my R3. I was nervous going R3 to R5 but really want to downsize. So, your gear report/photo really helped

Oct 25, 2022 at 05:56 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · African safari talk...recommendations?

ChrisHA wrote:
To Tanzania, I’ve taken KLM SFO:Arusha via Amsterdam 11x and I hear that Qatar biz is over top. A few friends have had delayed luggage with them through. And Art, thanks for the trip report. I just ordered a R5 to replace an 1DxII as back up to my R3. I was nervous going R3 to R5 but really want to downsize. So, your gear report/photo really helped

Nice, so is that approximately an 11hr flight to Amsterdam and then a 9hr flight to Arusha? If so that's a bout an hour less flight time than what I did for LAX to Doha to Nairobi. Layover was only a couple hours in Doha.

As for gear, the only time I would have wanted the R3 in Africa was for a Cheetah kill when I was trying to track the Cheetah full speed at 75mph across the plain. But that was only for a total of 3 whole seconds of my 2.5+ week trip. There were four other vehicles waiting there and each had multiple photographers on them. None of the photographers got any worthy shots of the CIF per our chat with them and their guides. I'm not sure yet, but I think I actually got a couple keepers with the R5 but I won't know until I review the images at home. Unlike most photographers I do zero chipping and image review while on location. I know what I'm seeing through the VF when I'm shooting and that's good enough for me. I prefer to wait until I get home to review everything because I like having the bonus of reliving the experience all over again. Right after the Cheetah kill when everyone was bummed they missed the action shots I do remember taking a look at the LCD to see if I got anything from that split second sprint and I think I might have a couple, we'll see....meanwhile, all the photographers I was with are the instant gratification type who absolutely have to review everything they shot every single night. I'm just the opposite and I prefer not to look until days or in this case a couple weeks later, so I'm sure I have some surprises waiting for me.

Note - I was shooting almost exclusively at f/2.8 and the R5 was doing just fine in low light so I didn't feel I needed the extra ISO performance of the R3. I think you will like the R5 and will probably use it more than your R3 over there unless you get a lucky opportunity to track a 3 second Cheetah sprint.

If anyone here has a nice CIF at full speed I would love to see it as I understand the difficulty in getting one of these shots. It happens so fast and you have no idea which direction it's going to head.

Oct 25, 2022 at 07:37 PM
ChrisHA
• •
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · African safari talk...recommendations?

If I had the RF400/2.8 - drool! - I wouldn’t worry so much about high ISO noise; but, the R5 is for my RF100-500. I originally bought the R3 because I wanted the larger batteries for my EF500 II/1.4x, not to mention the EVF, FPS and ruggedness. At Ndutu where I go to find cheetah families, we can drive off road; but, we always give mamas a lot of space for successful hunts and relaxed family time. Thus, the need for a longer rig. I don’t know how much longer that I’ll be doing wild cat family centric trips, so swamping out my arsenal of EF lenses at this late stage is too much effort IMHO.

You scored with all of the babies and your RF400 really shined . Where did you find the leopard cubs? I really miss seeing them as it’s been quite a while.

Oct 26, 2022 at 04:58 AM
Alan Kefauver
• • •
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · African safari talk...recommendations?

Not a Cheetah, but this Leopard was being harried by four Jackals and came running right toward the Hide in the Kalahari.
Just at sunset,
R5 with RF 100-500 1/1250 ISO 40,000 ES (DxO Denoise)
Leopard-30 by Alan Kefauver, on Flickr

Oct 26, 2022 at 07:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.