New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

GabrielPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

As I plan for the formal comparison while trying to catch up with rescheduled jobs (thanks Winter! lol), here is a quick shot I did just now.
I tried to keep things as equal as possible within the limitations of doing a selfie

And of course the best way to compare is opening each on a separate browser tab.

Dec 16, 2021 at 09:28 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

GabrielPhoto wrote:
As I plan for the formal comparison while trying to catch up with rescheduled jobs (thanks Winter! lol), here is a quick shot I did just now.
I tried to keep things as equal as possible within the limitations of doing a selfie

And of course the best way to compare is opening each on a separate browser tab.

Thank you for posting these. Extremely close to my eyes. Let me take a guess. For the first set, I believe the first one is from the Para 133, and for the second set, the Para shot must be the second shot. I found these two shots are a little more pleasing on the skin texture (very slight though). I also found the roll off is a little smoother as well. But the difference is really minute to be fair, not sure justifiable for the cost difference. Though, as we have talked about, the main difference would be ease of setting it up for the Para. Looking forward to seeing more, but this alone is already much better than the other comparison. I'm also curious to see the focused and mid-focused difference. There is already an apparent brightness difference at the fully flooded position.

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:06 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

hiepphotog wrote:
Thank you for posting these. Extremely close to my eyes. Let me take a guess. For the first set, I believe the first one is from the Para 133, and for the second set, the Para shot must be the second shot. I found these two shots are a little more pleasing on the skin texture (very slight though). I also found the roll off is a little smoother as well. But the difference is really minute to be fair, not sure justifiable for the cost difference. Though, as we have talked about, the main difference would be ease of
...Show more

Yes I will be doing more position tests too just I mostly shoot flooded so was very curious about it
The catchlights are also easy to tell as the Para does not have the bright center dot as the Parabolix. But yes in this particular test I find differences not dramatic enough for the price but of course, we shall see when I can do it with more control (like a seating model while I swap things instead of me trying to place myself in the exact same spot and pose

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:17 PM
LBJ2
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

So close, but I might as well risk embarrassment and choose the skin tones in #1 and #4 for little less pink/red.

Dec 17, 2021 at 02:07 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

LBJ2 wrote:
So close, but I might as well risk embarrassment and choose the skin tones in #1 and #4 for little less pink/red.

Interesting you mention that because with the AWB from the camera, the Para is the one with a heavier red/magenta cast instead
I had to set WB from a target to try match them.

Dec 17, 2021 at 02:51 PM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

Yeah these are really close its hard to tell.
When the broketographers blog did the comparison in the focused position I liked the Parabolix better but in defocused positions I liked the Broncolor better.

The set up speed is a big difference though, that should be part of the comparison video too (I guess I'm a demanding backseat driver).

Dec 17, 2021 at 03:27 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

neoshazam wrote:
Yeah these are really close its hard to tell.
When the broketographers blog did the comparison in the focused position I liked the Parabolix better but in defocused positions I liked the Broncolor better.

The set up speed is a big difference though, that should be part of the comparison video too (I guess I'm a demanding backseat driver).

Indeed setup speed difference is BIG indeed specially when you are on the field with numb fingers lol (Winter time here).
Cant wait to do more detail tests to see how they behave at other distances and focus positions

Dec 17, 2021 at 03:43 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

Sorry to say Iíve missed it - which sets up faster?

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:31 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

jlafferty wrote:
Sorry to say Iíve missed it - which sets up faster?

The Broncolor is much faster to setup. I plan to show all that when I review them

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:14 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

I scrolled quickly to skip the comments once I realized people were guessing, these are my guesses:

1st and 4th photos are with the para 133?

Might not be fair since I actually have the 133HR.

On another note: I just uploaded a few with both the 133 and 88 in the People section.

Dec 22, 2021 at 03:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

robfilms
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

perhaps this link adds to the conversation:

http://www.thebroketographers.com/blog/2016/9/19/comparison-broncolor-para-133-vs-parabolix-45

stay well.

rob

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:16 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

robfilms wrote:
perhaps this link adds to the conversation:

http://www.thebroketographers.com/blog/2016/9/19/comparison-broncolor-para-133-vs-parabolix-45

stay well.

rob

The issue I have with their sample images is that the background is lit and it seems a bit too bright.

It's easier to tell the differences between the Broncolors and Parabolix when you can actually tell how the light falls off and how it plays on the background or backdrop also.

Dec 22, 2021 at 05:23 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

Yeah. Often the issue with reviews like these are that the modifier isnít demonstrated for its strengths or in the context of a real shoot, as opposed to a dry/academic comparison. What Iíd like to see is a skilled photographer comparing a true parabolic- either of these two - versus something like a Photek and/or beauty dish as it pertains to viable images headed for a commercial client or an editorial in a legit mag. Iím blanking on her name at this moment but thereís a beauty photographer, maybe Jen Collins, who worked often with the Parabolix but now shoots mostly on the Bron and has a good roster of commercial beauty clients and a style that leans heavily on the ďparabolic lookĒ. Her work really shows what people are after with it. But I suspect you can get pretty close results with other mods.

Dec 22, 2021 at 06:34 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

*Jenn Collins:

https://www.instagram.com/jenncollins/

Her older, more commercial work is all about the para look - high contrast, hyper-real - seems to jump from the Parabolix 45, to Briese & Bron.

Dec 22, 2021 at 08:36 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

jlafferty wrote:
*Jenn Collins:

https://www.instagram.com/jenncollins/

Her older, more commercial work is all about the para look - high contrast, hyper-real - seems to jump from the Parabolix 45, to Briese & Bron.

There is also another gal doing similar work with the Parabolix 45, though not as high profile (https://www.instagram.com/karolinapran/). I think it's also a natural progression to upgrade your gear to fit in .

Dec 23, 2021 at 02:03 AM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

GabrielPhoto wrote:

Without reading first, my initial impression was liking images #1 and #4 the best.

I'm unfamiliar with both these modifiers. But is my quick price search correct that this is a comparison between a $500 or so modifier vs. a $2000 (+) modifier?

Dec 24, 2021 at 09:37 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

mdvaden wrote:
Without reading first, my initial impression was liking images #1 and #4 the best.

I'm unfamiliar with both these modifiers. But is my quick price search correct that this is a comparison between a $500 or so modifier vs. a $2000 (+) modifier?

I would say more like a ~$900 vs +$4000 one..BIG difference for sure.
The real comparison will be ready soon. When I post it, I will be removing catch lights to get a more fair evaluation from viewers.

Dec 24, 2021 at 09:57 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

mdvaden wrote:

It's $3000+ and the Parabolix kit should be close to $900. If only Parabolix manages to improve on the deployment mechanism.

Dec 24, 2021 at 09:59 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

GabrielPhoto wrote:
I would say more like a ~$900 vs +$4000 one..BIG difference for sure.
The real comparison will be ready soon. When I post it, I will be removing catch lights to get a more fair evaluation from viewers.

PS ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS

MY holiday "gift" was getting cataract surgery and new lenses in both eyes, and man, is color clear now, vision great, and more light. Going to be an even better experience for photography this coming 2022 and beyond.

Here's to peace and hopefully abundance for you this season and into 2022.

Cheers,

Mario in Oregon

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:02 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Two quick shots of the Para 133 vs Parabolix 45

What is it about the Parabolix that causes the catchlight hotspot?

To my eyes, that and the more noticeable 'spokes' of the reflective material, seen in the catchlights, are the only easily discernible differences. Light quality on the skin is very, very close. As is falloff, which may be more due to slight differences in subject positioning between shots.

Looking forward to your full review/comparison. The Parabolix 45" is the one I was thinking of getting, therefore I'm extra interested in your findings.

Dec 27, 2021 at 07:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password