Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
9
       10       11       end
  

FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


Stopped down, the CV 90/2.8 challenges our best tele lenses. Perhaps it's not our best but the difference is only noticeable under close inspection. I find it to have the right compromises considering small size seems to be a priority for this design. Wide open, it's a sharp lens with pleasant rendering and I think it could be a great choice for travel.

My only complain is rangefinder calibration. I tried a few copies and none were well calibrated. I wish Voigtlander offered a way for the user to adjust this. Focus throw short and therefore any tiny ring movement makes a big difference in focus, so calibration must be spot on!



Feb 22, 2022 at 11:58 PM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


Fred Miranda wrote:
Stopped down, the CV 90/2.8 challenges our best tele lenses. Perhaps it's not our best but the difference is only noticeable under close inspection. I find it to have the right compromises considering small size seems to be a priority for this design. Wide open, it's a sharp lens with pleasant rendering and I think it could be a great choice for travel.

My only complain is rangefinder calibration. I tried a few copies and none were well calibrated. I wish Voigtlander offered a way for the user to adjust this. Focus throw short and therefore any tiny ring movement
...Show more

I知 returning my front-focusing CV 90/2.8 tomorrow. I was going to see if I could exchange it for one that is well-calibrated but decided that, since 90mm is currently not a key focal length for me, I知 well enough served with the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 I already have. If the 90mm FL should grow on me, I値l lash out and get an APO-Summicron-M 90/2.



Feb 23, 2022 at 06:02 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


genji wrote:
I知 returning my front-focusing CV 90/2.8 tomorrow. I was going to see if I could exchange it for one that is well-calibrated but decided that, since 90mm is currently not a key focal length for me, I知 well enough served with the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 I already have. If the 90mm FL should grow on me, I値l lash out and get an APO-Summicron-M 90/2.


Just save yourself time and grab the Leica 90/2 AA. It's the best 90mm I've tested to date. Stopped down, its performance rivals the SL 90/2 APO and I do pixel peep! At f/2 the lens has a unique character which the newer Leica lenses are starting to lack...they are getting too perfect and I blame Peter Karbe! He is doing too great of a job removing lens aberrations.

It's interesting that I can nail focus with the 90/2 AA using the rangefinder. It's spot on!



Feb 23, 2022 at 10:27 AM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


Fred Miranda wrote:
Just save yourself time and grab the Leica 90/2 AA. It's the best 90mm I've tested to date. Stopped down, its performance rivals the SL 90/2 APO and I do pixel peep! At f/2 the lens has a unique character which the newer Leica lenses are starting to lack...they are getting too perfect and I blame Peter Karbe! He is doing too great of a job removing lens aberrations.

It's interesting that I can nail focus with the 90/2 AA using the rangefinder. It's spot on!


On your recommendation I値l ask the dealer from whom I buy used Leica gear to add the 90/2 AA to my wishlist. While I heartily agree with your assessment of Peter Karbe痴 question for aberration-free perfection, my recently adopted Leica only lens policy demands that my APO-Lanthar 35mm and 50mm should be replaced with APO-Summicron-M 35 and 50 lenses, which appear to be stellar examples of Karbe痴 design philosophy.



Feb 23, 2022 at 04:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


genji wrote:
On your recommendation I値l ask the dealer from whom I buy used Leica gear to add the 90/2 AA to my wishlist. While I heartily agree with your assessment of Peter Karbe痴 question for aberration-free perfection, my recently adopted Leica only lens policy demands that my APO-Lanthar 35mm and 50mm should be replaced with APO-Summicron-M 35 and 50 lenses, which appear to be stellar examples of Karbe痴 design philosophy.


I agree on the 35/2 APO where from the images I've seen, I prefer the Leica compared to the Voigtlander's in terms of rendering. However, on the 50/2 APO, they are pretty similar IMO. Having said that, all these lenses are close to perfection considering their size.

Personally, the way I use the M body, I prefer shooting with the Lux versions or the Voigtlander Nokton equivalents.



Feb 23, 2022 at 05:03 PM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


Fred Miranda wrote:
I agree on the 35/2 APO where from the images I've seen, I prefer the Leica compared to the Voigtlander's in terms of rendering. However, on the 50/2 APO, they are pretty similar IMO. Having said that, all these lenses are close to perfection considering their size.

Personally, the way I use the M body, I prefer shooting with the Lux versions or the Voigtlander Nokton equivalents.


I just picked up a Lux 35 FLE to either replace or to complement my Lux 35 Pre-FLE. It値l be interesting to see how they compare. The Pre-FLE suffers from mild focus shift which was largely 吐ixed with the FLE.



Feb 23, 2022 at 05:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


genji wrote:
I just picked up a Lux 35 FLE to either replace or to complement my Lux 35 Pre-FLE. It値l be interesting to see how they compare. The Pre-FLE suffers from mild focus shift which was largely 吐ixed with the FLE.


I've heard that the floating element group reduces focus shift and improves performance at close distance. I don't know for sure since I went straight to the FLE. Congrats on the new lens!
I have a feeling you will be selling the pre-FLE unless you prefer more SA at close distance.



Feb 23, 2022 at 07:53 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


genji wrote:
I just picked up a Lux 35 FLE to either replace or to complement my Lux 35 Pre-FLE. It値l be interesting to see how they compare. The Pre-FLE suffers from mild focus shift which was largely 吐ixed with the FLE.


Do a foreground vs. background rendering comparison. It's been a long time, but a while back in the Leica images thread a member posted some comparisons between the two ASPH versions. My recollection is that their bokeh qualities are reversed. By that I mean, one shows smoother background rendering and harsher foregrounds, while the other is the opposite. Or I could be wrong because it has been so long. But I would suggest checking it to be sure it's not something that will bother you.



Feb 23, 2022 at 10:58 PM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


rscheffler wrote:
Do a foreground vs. background rendering comparison. It's been a long time, but a while back in the Leica images thread a member posted some comparisons between the two ASPH versions. My recollection is that their bokeh qualities are reversed. By that I mean, one shows smoother background rendering and harsher foregrounds, while the other is the opposite. Or I could be wrong because it has been so long. But I would suggest checking it to be sure it's not something that will bother you.


Great suggestion, Ron, and something I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks!

Except... that could provide a justification for keeping both.



Feb 23, 2022 at 11:34 PM
sandycrane
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


I am still interested in this lens. Any new comments or samples?


Mar 21, 2022 at 11:08 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Elsee
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


It's small, it's sharp, it's less expensive than the 35 and 50 APO...
I like mine. I mean I don't say it's optically perfect but it's good enough and nice to use which is the most important for me.



Mar 22, 2022 at 06:51 AM
Alpha_Geist
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


I shot a roll of Lomo 800 on my F6 with the 90/2.8 APO-Skopar and a Nikon PK-13 extension tube earlier today. I知 fresh out of C41 color chemicals, so I had the film sent out (for development). I値l post some samples once I receive the negatives and scan them.

I shot at MFD with the PK-13, so expect the usual MFD shots with the lens, but cranked to 11 (because tubes!).



Mar 22, 2022 at 06:42 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 2:11 PM.

Looking at the original 17' tall Marble statute of David sculpted by Michaelangelo (Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni).
Hand Held, relying on Camera IBIS, A1 and Voigtlander 90mm f2.8 Apo-Skopar VM lens; silent shutter.
ISO 1600, f2.8, 1/320 second.
Exposure Corrected -0.70 Stops.

March 26, 2022
At the Galleria dell'Accademia di Firenze (Gallery of the Academy of Florence), Firenze (Florence), Italy.

Rich







Apr 22, 2022 at 07:24 AM
YardenViktor Dejorno
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


Thank you fred for this great review and hello everyone.
I wonder about this lens corners. I trying to decide if to buy it but it looks not very great on corners.
how bad is it?
would it bother me and I should look on other lenses?

I mainly shoot mid range distance at the street, day and night.

thank you all.



Apr 23, 2022 at 10:21 AM
Alan Parker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


YardenViktor Dejorno wrote:
Would it bother me and I should look on other lenses?

That's always a hard question to answer. What system will you be using the lens on? Leica M or adapted to something else?
The lens is more optimized for thinner sensor stacks; if that helps. There are other options for Sony E for example, but not many that have the same sort of character as the CV90/2.8. Sigma has a 90mm f/2.8 lens too, for example.



Apr 23, 2022 at 10:33 AM
airfrogusmc
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


Fred Miranda wrote:
Just save yourself time and grab the Leica 90/2 AA. It's the best 90mm I've tested to date. Stopped down, its performance rivals the SL 90/2 APO and I do pixel peep! At f/2 the lens has a unique character which the newer Leica lenses are starting to lack...they are getting too perfect and I blame Peter Karbe! He is doing too great of a job removing lens aberrations.

It's interesting that I can nail focus with the 90/2 AA using the rangefinder. It's spot on!


I really like my 90 cron APO to. I sent one of my M10s and the 90 into Leica to calibrate together a couple of years ago and I have no trouble nailing focus since it came back. I hardly ever change lenses with that body though. Love that lens for portraits and event candids. As you mentioned Fred the look wide open is just wonderful.




Apr 23, 2022 at 10:40 AM
YardenViktor Dejorno
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


I知 new here so I cannot quote.
thank you Alan for your quick response.

I知 a Nikon FX user, this lens is also suitable for my cameras and I truly looking on the sigma as you mentioned but this lens colors are seems to be more accurate.

my only worries are about the sharpness at the corners.



Apr 23, 2022 at 10:48 AM
Baboo
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


Hi all, thank you for nice input and review.
I was interested in hearing from a long time user of this lens how it's working out for you after now a few months. Thinking of picking one up, was so very happy with the CV 35 & 50 APO.
Any "long term" usage input is appreciated.



Jun 23, 2022 at 02:10 AM
genji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


I wouldn稚 recommend the M version for use on a Leica M unless you can easily return or exchange it悠 returned my front focusing copy and took Fred痴 and Allen痴 advice to get a Summicron 90 APO. That problem won稚 occur on the Nikon version though or for anyone who uses the M version on a mirrorless camera.


Jun 23, 2022 at 03:47 AM
Baboo
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar


Thank you, will look for a 90/2 APO.


Jun 25, 2022 at 04:59 AM
1       2       3              8      
9
       10       11       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
9
       10       11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password