1       2       3              7      
       9       10       11       end

Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

MAubrey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

Steve Spencer wrote:
We do have comparisons with the 5 element 3 groups Zeiss ZM 85 f/4 and the 5 element with 4 APD elements Leica 90 f/2 APO And both compete very well. We don't have comparisons with the Contax G Zeiss 90 f/2.8, but maybe we can add that next month when I get a chance to do some tests. I will also add tests with the Contax C/Y Zeiss 100 f/3.5 and Leica M 90 f/4 macro.

Solely on Zeiss's own MTF charts, the ZM85/4 and the Contax G 90mm have comparable contrast, but across the frame, the ZM85 is a far better lens when it comes to astigmatism at any frequency, but especially at 40lp/pm.

Jan 05, 2022 at 11:51 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

MAubrey wrote:
Solely on Zeiss's own MTF charts, the ZM85/4 and the Contax G 90mm have comparable contrast, but across the frame, the ZM85 is a far better lens when it comes to astigmatism at any frequency, but especially at 40lp/pm.

Yep, I noted that with the links to the MTF charts earlier. I am not sure that the divergence that you see between sagittal and tangential lines in the MTF is astigmatism or lateral CA (both can cause that pattern in the charts), there definitely is more divergence between the two orientation for the Contax G than the ZM 85. I think it will be interesting to see a real world test if we can to judge just how much difference that divergence makes.

Jan 05, 2022 at 11:57 AM
MAubrey
• • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

Steve Spencer wrote:
Yep, I noted that with the links to the MTF charts earlier. I am not sure that the divergence that you see between sagittal and tangential lines in the MTF is astigmatism or lateral CA (both can cause that pattern in the charts), there definitely is more divergence between the two orientation for the Contax G than the ZM 85. I think it will be interesting to see a real world test if we can to judge just how much difference that divergence makes.

From my experience of the Contax, it's a little of both: CA and astigmatism, but now that I've looked at a couple images probably more CA. I've never used the ZM.

Jan 05, 2022 at 02:09 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken yesterday in Magic Hour at 4:15 PM.

Looking out my Kitchen sliding door past the fence on both sides of the retention pond behind my home, across the creek beyond, across the harvested and cut farmers corn field, and at the homes and US Post Office hundreds of feet away in Magic Hour late afternoon light.
Tripod mounted A1 and Voigtlander 90mm f2.8 Apo-Skopar VM lens; silent shutter.
ISO 100, f8, 1/250 second.
Exposure Corrected +1.32 Stops.

January 8, 2022
Breinigsville, PA out my rear Kitchen Sliding door.

Rich

Jan 09, 2022 at 06:50 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken at 3:55 PM.

Looking at Fallen and caught Browned Maple Leaves.
Cropped, tripod mounted A1 and Voigtlander 90mm f2.8 Apo-Skopar VM lens; silent shutter.
ISO 100, f5.6?, 1/8 second.
Exposure Corrected -0.35 Stops.

December 8, 2021
At Lock Ridge Park in Alburtis, PA.

Rich

Jan 11, 2022 at 08:04 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken in Magic Hour at 4:16 PM.

Looking out my Kitchen sliding door past the fence on both sides of the retention pond behind my home, across the creek beyond, across the harvested and cut farmers corn field, and at the homes hundreds of feet away in Magic Hour late afternoon light.
ISO 100, f8, 1/100 second.

January 8, 2022

Rich

Jan 25, 2022 at 05:49 AM
sh0ebox

p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

I’ve gotta say, Voigtlander really hit it out of the park with this lens. It’s a perfect melding of vintage aesthetics with modern performance. I absolutely love the homage to the Leica “fat” 90mm tele-elmarit… one of my favorites in terms of size, build, and looks!

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:24 PM
1joel1
• • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

I have a "fat" 90mm Tele-Elmarit in silver and it is fabulous. Otherwise, I'd be all over this APO-Skopar.
Joel

Jan 31, 2022 at 03:53 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE Image Thread and taken in Magic Hour at 4:15 PM.

Looking out my Kitchen sliding door past the fence on both sides of the retention pond behind my home, across the creek beyond, across the harvested and cut farmers corn field, and at the homes and US Post Office hundreds of feet away in Magic Hour late afternoon light.
ISO 100, f8, 1/100 second.

January 8, 2022

Rich

Feb 12, 2022 at 08:36 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

I was very interested in this lens, but its introduction has had very little impact. Is it just a mediocre lens and not up to what we expect from Voigtlander? Has its archaic form factor reduced its appeal. Is the Skopar designation a mistake? Can a Sony mount version reinvigorate sales? What's going on?

I would enjoy seeing any new photos from this lens.

Feb 21, 2022 at 09:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EVIL_guy

p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

sandycrane wrote:
I was very interested in this lens, but its introduction has had very little impact. Is it just a mediocre lens and not up to what we expect from Voigtlander? Has its archaic form factor reduced its appeal. Is the Skopar designation a mistake?...

I really don't understand your problem
Do you own the lens?
I own it and for me it is a great lens, like actually the last ones from Cosina too!
Small, lightweight and a dream regarding the optical and mechanical performance.
Beside this, for my taste it is a real beauty!

Maybe for your taste the last point differs, but you don't need to buy it.
So again, what's your problem?

Feb 21, 2022 at 09:30 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

EVIL_guy wrote:
I really don't understand your problem

Neither do I. It is an excellent lens, small and lightweight so it replaced my Elmarit. Why should we care about its "impact" ?

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:35 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

sandycrane wrote:
I was very interested in this lens, but its introduction has had very little impact. Is it just a mediocre lens and not up to what we expect from Voigtlander? Has its archaic form factor reduced its appeal. Is the Skopar designation a mistake? Can a Sony mount version reinvigorate sales? What's going on?

I would enjoy seeing any new photos from this lens.

I have got the lens and I think calling it mediocre is simplistic. If your primary interest is landscape shooting, then the midzone weakness that Fred documents I think allows you to reasonably call it mediocre, but even here stopped down to f/6.3 or f/8 that weakness is mostly not seen. In typical rangefinder usage of 2 to 5 meters, however, the mid zone weakness is much less likely to be an issue and the small size and relative absence of aberration and central sharpness all make for much more than a mediocre lens. I understand why some people are disappointed with this lens, but perhaps you can see why some people are happy with it as well.

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:36 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

Steve Spencer wrote:
I have got the lens and I think calling it mediocre is simplistic. If your primary interest is landscape shooting, then the midzone weakness that Fred documents I think allows you to reasonably call it mediocre, but even here stopped down to f/6.3 or f/8 that weakness is mostly not seen. In typical rangefinder usage of 2 to 5 meters, however, the mid zone weakness is much less likely to be an issue and the small size and relative absence of aberration and central sharpness all make for much more than a mediocre lens. I understand why some people
...Show more

Hi Steve,

Though my copy is not as sharp as my Zeiss 85mm f4 Tele-Tessar ZM lens for landscape work, I am bringing my copy of my 90mm f2.8 Apo-Skopar VM lens to Italy instead of the Zeiss. The lens is smaller and lighter than my Zeiss and the hood is stronger, improved, and can be easily be revesibly mounted (and is stronger than the Zeiss hood), and 1 stop faster than the Zeiss. For my trip, it will be used for many subjects including street scenes, interiors, landscape, closer work. It is a great companion lens to my CV 24mm f2 Ultoron II VM and my CV 50mm f2 Apo-Lanthar Asph, FE mount lenses which will be my main kit along with my Leica M WATE, and occassional use of my Leica R 180mm f3.4 Apo-Telyt, and Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2 M-Rokkor lenses. I will use the 90mm Apo-Skopar primarily with my A1 but it may also be shared when carrying a single camera body with my Kolari Vision UT sensor modified A7rII.

Rich

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:08 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Steve,

Though my copy is not as sharp as my Zeiss 85mm f4 Tele-Tessar ZM lens for landscape work, I am bringing my copy of my 90mm f2.8 Apo-Skopar VM lens to Italy instead of the Zeiss. The lens is smaller and lighter than my Zeiss and the hood is stronger, improved, and can be easily be revesibly mounted (and is stronger than the Zeiss hood), and 1 stop faster than the Zeiss. For my trip, it will be used for many subjects including street scenes, interiors, landscape, closer work. It is a great companion lens to my CV 24mm
...Show more

Yes, Rich I have noticed your nice work with the CV 90 f/2.8 APO and that is part of the reason I got mine. I agree ergonomics and especially the hood is a step up from the ZM 85 f/4. I think the Voigtlander is a great travel lens. Right now I am deciding how to complement it. I might add the ZM 85 f/4, which I used to have and liked very much, but I might add the Leica M 90 f/2 APO. I like the idea of the ZM 85 f/4 to get a little landscape punch for a low price, but I like the idea of the Leica M 90 f/2 APO to get a faster/slower combination where the faster lens is stronger but the slower lighter lens is almost as good, so I pick based on how much weight I am willing to carry.

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:28 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

Well, believe it or nor I am gratified by the responses to my post in a thread that has lied dormant for 6 weeks. Rather than being critical I am genuinely interested in the lack of enthusiasm for this lens. I have the old Voigtlander 180 APO and it is my favorite lens. I was hoping that the 90 would be equally impressive. And maybe it is. I just haven't heard a lot of things about it.

Again, if you have any favorite photos from this lens please post them.

Feb 21, 2022 at 01:36 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

sandycrane wrote:
Well, believe it or nor I am gratified by the responses to my post in a thread that has lied dormant for 6 weeks. Rather than being critical I am genuinely interested in the lack of enthusiasm for this lens. I have the old Voigtlander 180 APO and it is my favorite lens. I was hoping that the 90 would be equally impressive. And maybe it is. I just haven't heard a lot of things about it.

Hi Sandy,

I have the Voigtlander 180 f/4 APO and the new 90 f/2.8 APO Skopar. Next weekend I will try to get some shots with both to get some comparisons. I also intend to compare the new Voigtlander 90 with the Leica M 90 f/4 macro and the Leica M 90 f/2.4 summarit. I think people were hoping this lens would be a landscape powerhouse like the Voigtlander 35 f/2 APO and the 50 f/2 APO. I think it is a different sort of lens, but still a really nice lens especially as a travel lens for a rangefinder camera. If you shoot Sony, I suspect most people will prefer the Sigma 90 f/2.8 i series lens. That is a very nice lens with very good performance and a very reasonable price in a fairly small size.

Feb 21, 2022 at 03:09 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

Thanks for your comment. I would be interested to see your photos from the 90, and a comparison with the 180. Shortly before the 90 Skopar was announced I bought a nice Loxia 85 for a good price to fill a hole in my prime lineup of Voigtlanders: 21/1.4, 40/1.2, and 180/4 APO. Initially was a little disappointed that I had missed the new Voigtlander. But I now see the Loxia for what it is: an excellent short zoom, but a little heavier than I would prefer. I am also a fan of the slower Sigma lenses.
If the Voigtlander 90 Skopar stands up at middle distances I am in for a dilema. Obviously I like Voigtlanders in general, and the 90 is smaller and lighter than the Loxia.
There was a lot of interest in the Skopar at its announcement, and some mixed reviews at its introduction, but very little since. Thus my post from earlier today. There has been almost no follow up since December. Having a suitable lens in the Loxia I am not about to invest in a pretty much unknown lens without reason.

Feb 21, 2022 at 04:02 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

The APO-Skopar seems to occupy a no man's land between the very strong 'landscape' 85-90 lenses (of which there are plenty, older and recent) and the more regular portrait 'character' lenses with faster apertures. Cosina make several of both at shorter focal lengths, helping to shape these perceptions.

It's heavily miniaturised and comes in silver, suggesting a travel/light/general use intention for use on M cameras, maybe with interest from film users over time. These were my impressions after seeing the comparisons early in this thread.

Feb 21, 2022 at 05:09 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar Review

sandycrane wrote:

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi Sandy,

I have the Voigtlander 180 f/4 APO and the new 90 f/2.8 APO Skopar. Next weekend I will try to get some shots with both to get some comparisons. I also intend to compare the new Voigtlander 90 with the Leica M 90 f/4 macro and the Leica M 90 f/2.4 summarit.

Looking forward to your thoughts about the VM vs. the 90/4 Macro.

Steve Spencer wrote:

I think people were hoping this lens would be a landscape powerhouse like the Voigtlander 35 f/2 APO and the 50 f/2 APO. I think it is a different sort of lens, but still a really nice lens especially as a travel lens for a rangefinder camera.

I was primarily interested in it for landscapes, or situations where I would want even across-frame performance, so yes, I little disappointed by the early test results. Recent Voigtlander APOs have all been very strong, high sharpness lenses, so that set the bar in respect to my expectations.

But this is a situation once again that probably boils down to using it and determining from personal experience whether or not it will meet personal expectations. My most recent example of this is the Light Lens Lab 35 Cron replica with '60s-era optical performance (wavy field curvature and focus shift) compared to my 'staple' 35mm, the VM35/1.7, which is technically very strong. But lately I've been carrying the LLL Cron instead for the smaller size advantage. I found that at least on 24MP, with some care, it can come close enough to the bar set by the VM.

There is some recent discussion about the VM90 APO over at LUF and my impression is it's possible Cosina designed it to be a modern interpretation of the Leica 90 Elmarit, with somewhat similar character and perhaps a bias towards nearer distance portraiture type uses.

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:20 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password