1       2       3              9      
       end

FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar

DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar

genji wrote:
Great suggestion, Ron, and something I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks!

Except... that could provide a justification for keeping both.

Very likely. A lens with a really harsh background bokeh **probably** has overcorrected SA, and this will (usually) give you a busy foreground bokeh. And a lens with that classic kind of smooth background associated with SA probably does have under corrected SA, which will give you reduced plane of focus sharpness and harsh foreground bokeh.

Jun 25, 2022 at 06:08 AM
genji
• • • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar

DavidBM wrote:
Very likely. A lens with a really harsh background bokeh **probably** has overcorrected SA, and this will (usually) give you a busy foreground bokeh. And a lens with that classic kind of smooth background associated with SA probably does have under corrected SA, which will give you reduced plane of focus sharpness and harsh foreground bokeh.

In the simple comparison that I did the Pre-FLE’s background bokeh was very slightly smoother than the FLE’s, an insignificant advantage that in no way compensated for the Pre-FLE’s obvious focus shift. I kept the FLE and have been very happy with it.

Jun 25, 2022 at 06:28 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · FM Review: Voigtlander 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar

genji wrote:
In the simple comparison that I did the Pre-FLE’s background bokeh was very slightly smoother than the FLE’s, an insignificant advantage that in no way compensated for the Pre-FLE’s obvious focus shift. I kept the FLE and have been very happy with it.

I found the same when comparing the Pre-FLE vs FLE. There was a small but distinguishing improvement on the Pre-FLE at my typical shooting distance 4-15 feet WO with busy backgrounds, but I was shooting on a MILC not RF, so opted for the Pre-FLE. If shooting on a RF, I would have chosen like you. But there was also about a 15% price difference on the used market at the time.

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:06 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password