FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2021 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

Gnegron22

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

supatyke wrote:
I'm not NPS and ordered from B&H but hopefully there are enough to go around!
Looking on Nikon USA website it seems the 28-75/2.8 is in stock to order now.

I now do my pre-order thru Roberts or Hunts unless it's a exclusive pre-order to one of the big 2. I find even items that are not Nikon that I pre-ordered come quicker with the smaller stores.

Jan 14, 2022 at 05:41 AM
Nate71LB
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

I am tagging this thread for your guys feedback once you get it in hand.
I am thinking the 14-30, 28-75 and (adapted) 70-300 could be a quite nice travel trio.

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:08 AM
supatyke
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

Nate71LB wrote:
I am tagging this thread for your guys feedback once you get it in hand.
I am thinking the 14-30, 28-75 and (adapted) 70-300 could be a quite nice travel trio.

I'm planning to pair the 28-75/2.8 with the 85/1.8 in a small shoulder bag for everyday use, they share filter size and should cover pretty much everything I need for general use and walks with the kids. Before the announcement of the 28-75 I was thinking about the 28/40 primes to go with the 85 but this seems a better option for me, less lens changes trying to catch kids. A compact 20mm prime next would be awesome.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:17 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

For the folks wondering if this lens will be noticeably different from the E mount…probably not. I suspect most of the same optical issues will be present. What would be interesting is how the AF is, since that was the main complaint with the lens on Sony, which the G2 fixed. It’s possible that Nikon has required improved AF motors and reliability since it’s Nikon branded.

Given how much Sony corrects for in software (even in RAW), I think that’s the space for differences between the Sony and Nikon.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:22 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

RoamingScott wrote:
For the folks wondering if this lens will be noticeably different from the E mount…probably not. I suspect most of the same optical issues will be present.

Yes, I think that’s the correct expectation.

I’ll add one other wrinkle that might make edge performance different between the E mount and the Nikon version is that the sensor filter stack on the Z cameras is thinner than on the Sony cameras. For such a lens as this hard to say if there would be an actual difference and whether it would be better or worse. For legacy film lenses the thinner filter stack is almost always better edge performance wise particularly for lenses with a close exit pupil. For a lens designed for digital the lens design took into account the filter stack glass and I suspect any differences between E and Z mount are going to be small.

Jan 14, 2022 at 01:32 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

Interestingly I just received an email from Tamron regarding the differences between version 1 (which is what the Nikon version is thought to be using) and the new version 2 for Sony.

I thought some here might find it interesting and useful information.

POINT 1
ACHIEVEMENT OF HIGH IMAGE QUALITY AND RESOLVING POWER WHILE MAINTAINING A COMPACT, LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN
It was no easy task to improve upon the optical performance of the 1st-generation Model A036, which had an established reputation for its outstanding image quality. TAMRON redesigned the optical system of the 28-75mm F2.8 G2 from the ground up, thereby attaining the stunning performance befitting a new fast-aperture zoom lens.

The 28-75mm F2.8 G2 retains the same lightweight, compact design as its predecessor while delivering sharp rendering all the way to the corners of images, across the entire zoom range. Check the MTF charts and actual images to see how the model A063 differs from the 1st-generation model.

POINT 2
MOD OF 7.1 IN AT WIDE END AND MAXIMUM MAGNIFICATION RATIO OF 1:2.7
The Minimum Object Distance (MOD) of 7.5 in at the wide-end and maximum magnification ratio of 1: 2.9 that were achieved by the 1st-generation Model A036 have been well received because they allow users to enjoy close-up photography that emphasizes the perspective unique to wide-angle lenses. The 28-75mm F2.8 G2 achieves an MOD of 7.1 in at the wide-end, 0.4 in closer than the Model A036, with a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2.7. This allows users to get even closer to the subject for wide macro photography, enabling powerful visual impact with the subject large while keeping a wide view of the background in frame.

POINT 3
SCRATCH AND FINGERPRINT RESISTANT, PLUS IMPROVED OPERABILITY AND TEXTURE.
The all-new 28-75mm F2.8 G2 features a fresh, new design. Certain internal parts of the zoom ring and focus ring have been enhanced, resulting in smoother overall operability. The girth of the lens barrel has been slimmed down to give the lens a contoured profile that makes it easier to grip. This creates a comfortable shape that fits snugly and naturally in the hand. Plus, the surface of the lens exterior is shiny black, much glossier than previous models. Improved abrasion resistance makes the lens barrel harder to scratch and more resistant to fingerprints, too. Take a look at the design differences between the Model A036 and the Model A063 G2.

POINT 4
TWICE AS FAST: USES HIGH-SPEED, HIGH-PRECISION VXD LINEAR MOTOR FOCUS MECHANISM.
The AF drive system is equipped with VXD linear motor focus mechanism. The AF speed marks approximately twice as fast as the 1st-generation Model A036.

With reliable, speedy focusing from the MOD to infinity and extremely good focus tracking, you are ready for those important moments even when photographing fast-moving subjects.

POINT 5
PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE TOOL TAMRON LENS UTILITY™ FOR LENS FUNCTION CUSTOMIZATION AND FIRMWARE UPDATES
The 28-75mm F2.8 G2 incorporates the new ‘TAMRON Lens Utility’ software originally and uniquely developed by TAMRON.

TAMRON Lens Utility can be operated using a computer by connecting the lens from its Connector Port via Connection Cable (USB Type-A to Type-C).

Users can customize the functions and update the firmware through the lens. The personal customization gives flexible shooting options to match the shooting situation such as still photography or videography.

Functions of Tamron Lens Utility

FOCUS SET BUTTON SETTINGS

A-B Focus:
Set 2 focus positions (A and B) and make the focus shift between A and B.

Focus Preset:
Set your desired focus position and move the focus to the recorded point by a single button press.

Select AF/MF:
Select AF and MF function using the Focus Set Button.

Switch Focus Ring Function (Focus/Aperture):
Switch Focus Ring Function from focus adjustment to aperture adjustment.

Assign function from the camera:
Assign custom functions from the camera body to the Focus Set Button.

FOCUS RING SETTINGS

MF Ring Rotation:
Change the rotation direction of the focus ring.

MF Method:
Choose the method of focus operation when using the focus ring.

FIRMWARE UPDATE
You can update the firmware of the lens to the latest version by yourself.

The Nikon version is also much more expensive, and without the 6 year warrantee. I find this whole approach to be an interesting experiment in branding.

Jan 14, 2022 at 01:42 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

There is quite a bit of difference between the view angle with a 24mm as compared to a 28mm focal length. For indoor shooting I would not use a 28mm wide angle zoom and better to go with the 24-70mm f/4 lens if one wants to pay less.

The primary advantage of f/2.8 with a wide angle lens is having twice as much light reaching the autofocus sensors. No idea whether the Z cameras are unable to focus indoors in dim light with a f/4 lens aperture. Easy enough for anyone with a 24mm zoom or prime to test and verify if there is in fact a problem.

Jan 14, 2022 at 05:04 PM
Nate71LB
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

It looks like this lens is now available at the usual retailers…anyone pull the trigger yet?

Jan 19, 2022 at 03:47 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

elkhornsun wrote:
There is quite a bit of difference between the view angle with a 24mm as compared to a 28mm focal length. For indoor shooting I would not use a 28mm wide angle zoom and better to go with the 24-70mm f/4 lens if one wants to pay less.

The primary advantage of f/2.8 with a wide angle lens is having twice as much light reaching the autofocus sensors. No idea whether the Z cameras are unable to focus indoors in dim light with a f/4 lens aperture. Easy enough for anyone with a 24mm zoom or prime to test and
...Show more

No issues w my 24-70 f4 focusing in dim light. On a Z7.

Jan 19, 2022 at 04:14 PM
Gnegron22

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

I had for about a week now, haven't been able to really try it out much. I did notice it focused quicker on my ZFC vs my Z6. Although I haven't tried any low light test or on my Z7 yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Nate71LB wrote:
It looks like this lens is now available at the usual retailers…anyone pull the trigger yet?

Jan 20, 2022 at 04:51 AM
PhotosbyKR

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

Reviving this old thread to get opinions on the Z 28-75 vs the 24-70 f4 and also if anyone has used an ETZ adapter on the Tamron 28-75 G2 to use it on their Z body? I don't have the ETZ adater so would have to buy one but have found plenty of Tamron lenses used for sub $700 so price difference wouldn't be much for what may be a more solid lens optically, just not sure on the AF performance on the adapter compared to F mount lenses on the FTZ where I have noticed a bit of a gap between native Z and adapted F mount in that regard.

Apr 01, 2022 at 09:26 AM
twistacatz
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

With the $200 discount/rebate being offered today, I'm in for one.

Personally to me it seems like a good alternative to the 24-70mm 2.8S at half the cost. I understand the criticism towards this lens but for my needs I think it will be a perfect fit.

Apr 05, 2022 at 10:31 PM
agvogel
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

With the $300 rebate for May, I’m seriously considering ditching my 24-70/2.8 in favor of this lens for walkaround/people and saving the $$$. I’ll keep my 24-70/4 for anything landscape where I need the corner sharpness.

May 05, 2022 at 09:31 AM
pwschladen
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

I decided to pull the trigger with the current sale and because I am off to France next week for my niece’s wedding.
Logged on to B&H and found a deal on a lightly used one. My niece has hired a pro but wants me to take some candids and informal portraits of guests as I did for her brother four years ago. I’ll report back in a few weeks.

May 05, 2022 at 10:22 AM
agvogel
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

Update: went down to best buy and grabbed one. It's so much lighter and less front-heavy than the 24-70/2.8, already enjoying handling it and shooting around the house. AF is fast and accurate so far.

May 06, 2022 at 04:27 PM
aznature
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

I never liked the 24-70 range I owned the AF-S VR and many times I was reaching to the 16-35/4 when I needed the 24mm on other occasions I was reaching for the 105mm which was not there…
I am wondering what is the meaning of 24mm for people photography the Classics are 28mm 35mm 40mm and 50mm.
Nikon was listening to my prayers I purchased the great pair for my z’s the 24-120/4 and the 28-75/2.8. Based on both quality I am not going to miss 24-70/2.8.
Besides tell me what is the best street photography z lens based on weight price and performance.

May 07, 2022 at 01:47 AM
agvogel
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

aznature wrote:
I never liked the 24-70 range I owned the AF-S VR and many times I was reaching to the 16-35/4 when I needed the 24mm on other occasions I was reaching for the 105mm which was not there…
I am wondering what is the meaning of 24mm for people photography the Classics are 28mm 35mm 40mm and 50mm.
Nikon was listening to my prayers I purchased the great pair for my z’s the 24-120/4 and the 28-75/2.8. Based on both quality I am not going to miss 24-70/2.8.
Besides tell me what is the best street photography z lens based on weight price
...Show more

24mm is very useful for environmental portraits, group shots in tight spaces (keeping an eye on corner stretching), and capturing people with dynamism/action/movement

May 07, 2022 at 11:36 AM
atnpro
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Z 28-75mm f/2.8

aznature wrote:
what is the best street photography z lens based on weight price and performance.

For now, that's either the Z 28/2.8 or the Z 40/2, depending on which FL you feel more comfortable with. For me, I need both.

May 11, 2022 at 08:28 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.