end

New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

CheshireCat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #1 · p.30 #1 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

Fred Miranda wrote:
Edward,
The Leica 50/1 has that dreamy look (due to high SA) so that may contribuite to what's emotional about the images it produces. The rendering is far from perfect but you may like that character as well.

Indeed. The NX 50/1 has a very peculiar character, and I especially love the blue halo. I think the lens is very special for low light portraits.
I'd like to see more portraits with Nokton.

Fred Miranda wrote:
It may not be important to you but the F1 Nokton is also better corrected for distortion.

Based on the few examples posted so far, I think the Nokton also has better color rendition.

Feb 06, 2022 at 09:54 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #2 · p.30 #2 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

CheshireCat wrote:
Indeed. The NX 50/1 has a very peculiar character, and I especially love the blue halo. I think the lens is very special for low light portraits.
I'd like to see more portraits with Nokton.

Based on the few examples posted so far, I think the Nokton also has better color rendition.

Yes, the Nokton F1 captures bolder colors due to its higher contrast. It's evident even against the CV 50/1.2 Nokton.

Feb 06, 2022 at 10:06 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.30 #3 · p.30 #3 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

Edward Teller wrote:
Keeping me from already selling the NX? Inertia.

Now that you bring up the bad shots, and comments related to those earlier....after I've been looking at everything I've gotten from the Nokton, compared to the Noctilux, I've been wondering why some earlier were saying they had to take a "hard pass" on the Nokton. It's not perfect, but I'm having a difficult time trying to see why it's so bad it requires a hard pass, and not just a regular pass. Open to the suggestion that I'm not as bothered by the flaws as some, but I'm thinking, perhaps incorrectly,
...Show more

Why? Because when the early Nokton images first became available, they existed without direct comparison against any other ultrafast 50. Now that we have your excellent comparison images, we can see that the old 50/1 NX is actually worse than the Nokton at bending focus in the corners and vignettes more strongly. Does this excuse the Nokton? Not for some applications or compositions that compound its weaknesses.

In some of the early images I also noticed what looked like weak mid-zone sharpness in images that were apparently stopped down around f/5.6. Granted, one probably doesn't buy the Nokton to shoot it stopped down, but it would be nice to have an ultrafast multipurpose 50.

What your examples clearly show is that the Nokton can look great in the 'right' scenes. It'll be up to each photographer to learn the characteristics of the lens and how to make compositions that play to its strengths.

The overall 'look' is surprisingly similar between the Nokton and NX. Wide open in some scenes the NX has a more defined edge to bokeh balls, but this smooths away at f/1.4. The Nokon seems to have more consistent character from wide open through stopped down, a somewhat modern telltale sign IMO.

Feb 07, 2022 at 01:36 AM
Edward Teller
• •
p.30 #4 · p.30 #4 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

Thank you, Iím sincerely happy that some found the images useful. To be honest, itís the kind of thing I do for myself anyway to satisfy my own curiosity, and I donít pretend to know as much about optical theory as many here, because I plainly donít. Being motivated by the McCann/Harris song, ďCompared to WhatĒ, and wanting to see if there was a chance that the VM 50/1 could replace my 50/1 Noctilux, whose faults were always outweighed by its virtues for the kinds of things I use it for. I wasnít expecting that it would, but my experience with the VM 75/1.5 ASPH suggested to me that it might.

Theyíre close enough that I intend to sell one of them fairly shortly though, unaccountably, given all the evidence, itís still hard for me to let the Noctilux go and I need to do some more portraits in varying backgrounds before I do. As an amateur, itís always been hard for me to define what it is about certain imperfect lenses that make me use them as much as I do, so grappling with getting rid of the Noctilux is probably harder than it should be given the evidence.

My original intention was to next do similar series (for myself) adapted to a Nikon Z 7 using a close focus adapter, which is the way I frequently use the Noctilux (possibly my favorite use for the Noctilux), and extend the comparison to include a 58/1.2 Ai-S Noct, a Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai-S, a Contarex 55/1.4, a Konica Hexanon 57/1.2, and a 55/1.4 Otus, and take all of them out to f/5.6. But, thatís beginning to sound like a lot of work. I should be ashamed to admit I can do that, but to paraphrase St. Augustine in regards to sexual temptation, ďLord, give me the strength to avoid the siren song of Fast Fifties, but not just yet.Ē
Something is going up for sale here in the next month though, God willing.

Feb 07, 2022 at 09:05 AM
AZSteve

p.30 #5 · p.30 #5 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

Many of us who are not even Leica photographers would love to have you take on the broader comparison, Dr Teller (especially curious about the Contarex). Personally, given my poor memory I'm committed to a full EXIF with aperture recorded, and I like the Apo Lanthar f/2, but I'd be sorely tempted by a Nokton f/1 in E-mount.

Feb 07, 2022 at 09:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mapgraphs
• • •
p.30 #6 · p.30 #6 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

Edward Teller wrote:
...ďLord, give me the strength to avoid the siren song of Fast Fifties, but not just yet.Ē

There are no weak lenses in this extended set, none. Period. just weak knees... ; - )

Feb 07, 2022 at 10:16 AM
CheshireCat
• •
p.30 #7 · p.30 #7 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

AZSteve wrote:
Personally, given my poor memory I'm committed to a full EXIF with aperture recorded [Ö]

If itís any consolation, it could be worse. You could be using an M camera (EXIF aperture is guessed and often wrong), with old Leica (uncoded) or even new third-party lenses (you have to remember also which *lens* you used).
And even if you remembered to tell the camera which lens you mounted so it is written in the EXIF, it will probably be the lens you had mounted before the one you are actually using, and forgot to tell the camera

Feb 07, 2022 at 10:35 AM
Edward Teller
• •
p.30 #8 · p.30 #8 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

AZSteve wrote:
Many of us who are not even Leica photographers would love to have you take on the broader comparison, Dr Teller (especially curious about the Contarex). Personally, given my poor memory I'm committed to a full EXIF with aperture recorded, and I like the Apo Lanthar f/2, but I'd be sorely tempted by a Nokton f/1 in E-mount.

ďDr. TellerĒ (!) Somebody gets the joke

Feb 07, 2022 at 11:16 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.30 #9 · p.30 #9 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

AZSteve wrote:

Edward Teller wrote:
ďDr. TellerĒ (!) Somebody gets the joke

Just thought it was a coincidence.

Feb 07, 2022 at 11:55 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.30 #10 · p.30 #10 · New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

Edward Teller wrote:
Thank you, Iím sincerely happy that some found the images useful. To be honest, itís the kind of thing I do for myself anyway to satisfy my own curiosity, and I donít pretend to know as much about optical theory as many here, because I plainly donít. Being motivated by the McCann/Harris song, ďCompared to WhatĒ, and wanting to see if there was a chance that the VM 50/1 could replace my 50/1 Noctilux, whose faults were always outweighed by its virtues for the kinds of things I use it for. I wasnít expecting that it would, but my
...Show more

While testing like youíve done is great and can be illuminating (and Iíve done similar testing often), I have taken a different simple approach. Keep both lenses for a couple months and just see how you gel with the new one, and which you actually end up shooting.

My experience is that in head-to-head comparisons, differences that appear small from crops or controlled settings donít really translate to real world experience fully (usually images feel more different than rendering testing shows). Iíve owned and shot multiple older Leica lenses and new CV lenses, and the images you get are quite different. My guess is thatís youíll gravitate towards one (though you may enjoy both). I would just stick with the lens that gives you the images you most enjoy. Why does testing or technical IQ matter if you prefer another lensí images?

I already have my Noct 50/1 v2 up for sale before the CV 50/1 shipped, even though I really enjoy it. Iíll probably try that CV 50/1 at some point with a diffusion filter (thanks to this thread and your testing).

Feb 07, 2022 at 01:06 PM
1       2       3              29      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password