FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2021 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/support/download/firmware/cameras/gfx100s/

Nothing exciting- a Bluetooth fix and a flash fix of some sort. Quick and easy update as usual. Sony could learn from the Fuji firmware update process.

System agnostic SD card updates FTW!

Dec 08, 2021 at 02:37 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

I upgraded the firmware but am still trying to figure out the connectivity and power saving (or power hemorrhaging) features of the 100S. The darn app/camera hangs up nearly every time I'm trying to simply transfer JPGs. 1.21 made no difference.

Call me grumpy, it shouldn't be this frustrating.

Dec 11, 2021 at 01:51 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

Camera companies should release their APIs and let third party people develop these apps.

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:11 AM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

sirimiri wrote:
I upgraded the firmware but am still trying to figure out the connectivity and power saving (or power hemorrhaging) features of the 100S. The darn app/camera hangs up nearly every time I'm trying to simply transfer JPGs. 1.21 made no difference.

Call me grumpy, it shouldn't be this frustrating.

I only wirelessly transfer the small JPEGs. Pretty much impossible to get the full size files to transfer. Card reader to iPad/Mac and then Air Drop to everything else works pretty well.

Dec 11, 2021 at 05:01 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

Thanks for the tip, I'll reduce the JPG sizes I'm trying to import.

Dec 12, 2021 at 01:33 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

Does it solve any of the real issues, such as non functional auto white balance, forced vignetting correction on JPG's, resetting the adapted lens choice if you use a GF lens, only 6 slots for adapted lenses, lens choice not following when switching modes, metering ridiculously inaccurate for long exposures, LCD not being able to correctly show AdobeRGB (images look washed out compared to sRGB), preview having much higher contrast than shot images, and so on?

Or did they just "fix" stuff that no one actually asked for, as usual?

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:05 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

1. resetting the adapted lens choice if you use a GF lens - Can you please describe more
2. only 6 slots for adapted lenses - They want you to buy GF lenses.
3. lens choice not following when switching modes - Again not sure what this is. I only use 2 adapted lenses and so far don't see any problems
4. metering ridiculously inaccurate for long exposures - I only done 60 seconds, see no problems
5. LCD not being able to correctly show AdobeRGB (images look washed out compared to sRGB)
6. preview having much higher contrast than shot images - Can't figure this out as to why this happens. Maybe some knows.

Dec 12, 2021 at 01:20 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

bobby350z wrote:
1. resetting the adapted lens choice if you use a GF lens - Can you please describe more

Set your adapted lens of choice, then switch from adapted lens to a GF lens, and back again. The mount adapter setting is now "OFF" for no particular reason. In my case on the GFX 50S II, but I suppose the 100S is the same. The 50R remembered the last adapted lens you used, which is a lot more convenient.

2. only 6 slots for adapted lenses - They want you to buy GF lenses.

Then they could have given us 0 slots instead. Makes no sense.

3. lens choice not following when switching modes - Again not sure what this is. I only use 2 adapted lenses and so far don't see any problems

Maybe "modes" wasn't correct, but the lens choice is not common between the standard modes and the custom banks. The list isn't even common, so you have to name all your lenses several times if you use custom banks.
I use a custom bank for tripod use, and if I switch from A or M to C1 when using a certain adapted lens, I have to select that freaking lens AGAIN in the menu, because the list is not shared. So stupid.

4. metering ridiculously inaccurate for long exposures - I only done 60 seconds, see no problems

I get about a stop less exposure at longer exposure than a few seconds, than what the histogram shows before the shot. Over 30 seconds you can't even see what the exposure will be like. The display and histogram doesn't indicate any more brightening no matter how much you prolong the exposure time. Total guesswork after that. Oh, the indicator might show "+2" or something, even though the image ends up grossly underexposed.

I've seriously considered bringing a separate light meter for low light. Which is ridiculous with a digital camera. But you don't want to redo several minutes long exposures.

Dec 12, 2021 at 02:33 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

Makten wrote:
Set your adapted lens of choice, then switch from adapted lens to a GF lens, and back again. The mount adapter setting is now "OFF" for no particular reason. In my case on the GFX 50S II, but I suppose the 100S is the same. The 50R remembered the last adapted lens you used, which is a lot more convenient.

You are correct. I just verified it and this is bad implementation by Fuji. I don't know how to let them know about this.

Then they could have given us 0 slots instead. Makes no sense.

This is less of an issue, at least they give us 6. But giving 10, 20 wouldn't have made things different for Fuji engineers.

Maybe "modes" wasn't correct, but the lens choice is not common between the standard modes and the custom banks. The list isn't even common, so you have to name all your lenses several times if you use custom banks.
I use a custom bank for tripod use, and if I switch from A or M to C1 when using a certain adapted lens, I have to select that freaking lens AGAIN in the menu, because the list is not shared. So stupid.

Work around. Copy paste C1 to other custom banks. This whole custom banks is implemented in a bad way. I am sure Fuji has hired some Canon engineers and program managers too. Before anyone complains, I am engineer, a lot of us do this kind of work without thinking things through.

I get about a stop less exposure at longer exposure than a few seconds, than what the histogram shows before the shot. Over 30 seconds you can't even see what the exposure will be like. The display and histogram doesn't indicate any more brightening no matter how much you prolong the exposure time. Total guesswork after that. Oh, the indicator might show "+2" or something, even though the image ends up grossly underexposed.

I've seriously considered bringing a separate light meter for low light. Which is ridiculous with a digital camera. But you don't want to redo several minutes long exposures.
...Show more

I will test it.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:21 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

bobby350z wrote:
Work around. Copy paste C1 to other custom banks. This whole custom banks is implemented in a bad way. I am sure Fuji has hired some Canon engineers and program managers too. Before anyone complains, I am engineer, a lot of us do this kind of work without thinking things through.

It doesn't help, I only use one custom bank, but I often switch between A/M/C1 without changing lenses. And then I have to remember to dig into the menu and choose adapted lens.

Dec 13, 2021 at 02:15 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

Makten wrote:
It doesn't help, I only use one custom bank, but I often switch between A/M/C1 without changing lenses. And then I have to remember to dig into the menu and choose adapted lens.

Not sure what you mean "go into the menu and select my adapted lens". How do you choose a lens? Sorry I haven't played much with adapted lenses. When I use 24mm TSE and 90mm TSE they just work, in all the modes. Now I haven't tested if IBIS works all the time as my custom banks did get cleared of all lens entries after using a GF lens.

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:04 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

bobby350z wrote:
Not sure what you mean "go into the menu and select my adapted lens". How do you choose a lens? Sorry I haven't played much with adapted lenses. When I use 24mm TSE and 90mm TSE they just work, in all the modes. Now I haven't tested if IBIS works all the time as my custom banks did get cleared of all lens entries after using a GF lens.

Your lenses require an electronic adapter that tells the camera what lens is mounted. No need for going into menus then I suppose. But if you want focal length in EXIF and usable IBIS function for fully mechanical lenses, you have to set up and choose that lens in the adapted lens menu.

Problem #1: There are only 6 slots. Why? You should be able to save as many lenses you want. It's your camera and your lenses.
Problem #2: The lens list is not global. So if you change from M to C, you have to choose lens AGAIN. And you have to set up the bloody list for every C bank. This is just incredibly stupid. Why would anyone want separate lists for separate modes?
Problem #3: You change to a GF lens, and then back to the manual lens. Oooops, lens selection is now OFF and your IBIS won't work and EXIF is f*cked, because you will forget to set it. I mean, you have already set it earlier, why should you have to set it again?

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:25 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

Ok, I have no idea as to what I did but now my adapted lens settings are sticking. I can power off/on, swap GF lens or manual adapted lens, change from C1 to C3 and my lens selection remains the same. I couldn't do this yesterday.

Dec 13, 2021 at 05:35 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

bobby350z wrote:
Ok, I have no idea as to what I did but now my adapted lens settings are sticking. I can power off/on, swap GF lens or manual adapted lens, change from C1 to C3 and my lens selection remains the same. I couldn't do this yesterday.

You updated firmware? I haven't bothered yet, but I'll try tomorrow.

Dec 13, 2021 at 05:54 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

Makten wrote:
You updated firmware? I haven't bothered yet, but I'll try tomorrow.

Nope no change, that's the strange part. Only left my adapted lens (Mamiya 120mm f4 macro) connected to the GFX100s over night. I fear this would break next time and I wouldn't know how to recover it.

Dec 13, 2021 at 09:30 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

v 1.31 is available. Apparently it consists of flyswatting.

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/download/firmware/cameras/gfx100s/

Apr 08, 2022 at 02:01 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

v 1.32 was "dropped", to use the parlance of our day.

Jun 29, 2022 at 02:12 AM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

sirimiri wrote:
v 1.32 was "dropped", to use the parlance of our day.

Has anyone figured our what “one touch af” is? I can’t update for a couple of days but it sounds intriguing.

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:51 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

liggy wrote:
Has anyone figured our what “one touch af” is? I can’t update for a couple of days but it sounds intriguing.

Using the AF-On button to implement AF when your camera is set to manual focus - iI think t's been a feature since the first Fuji mirrorless cameras appeared (and something I wished Sony would figure out...)

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:58 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New GFX 100S Firmware Released V 1.21

molson wrote:
Using the AF-On button to implement AF when your camera is set to manual focus - iI think t's been a feature since the first Fuji mirrorless cameras appeared (and something I wished Sony would figure out...)

If it's a feature of the new firmware it must be something else, because I've been using the AF-On button for AF in manual focus mode from day one, even with the 50R.

Jun 29, 2022 at 03:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.