Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2021 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · where is the good old Phoshop?

I used to have control of my photos in the last 40 years. No more. PS got in my computer and got it "intuitive", and I have no control of my pictures any more. How do I get my control back in my old age? I can't find my pictures in the 4 hard drives . It is so weird every thing, Please help!

Dec 04, 2021 at 12:13 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · where is the good old Phoshop?

If you know a file name of one of your photos, search for it and let the computer tell you where it is. If you are using "managed" files, it will be in a big file with the others.

I used "Referenced" files, so I put them in folders on a drive before I import them. They don't move and I always know where they are.

Sometimes Adobe likes to play "Wack-a-Mole" with its tools or interfaces and move them around. One latest example is the Moirč tool in Lightroom. It's now in with the Masking tools and isn't even listed in the "Help" menu.

Dec 04, 2021 at 08:20 AM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny wrote:
I used to have control
I have no control of my pictures any more. How do I get my control back in my old age?
Please help!

Nugeny, losing control of everything is part of getting old. Isn't that why that make adult diapers
I don't know but I think StoryTeller is on to something!!!
John

Dec 04, 2021 at 12:51 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · where is the good old Phoshop?

story_teller wrote:
If you know a file name of one of your photos, search for it and let the computer tell you where it is. If you are using "managed" files, it will be in a big file with the others.

I used "Referenced" files, so I put them in folders on a drive before I import them. They don't move and I always know where they are.

Sometimes Adobe likes to play "Wack-a-Mole" with its tools or interfaces and move them around. One latest example is the Moirč tool in Lightroom. It's now in with the Masking tools and isn't even listed
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

JohnSil wrote:
Nugeny, losing control of everything is part of getting old. Isn't that why that make adult diapers
I don't know but I think StoryTeller is on to something!!!
John

the problem with the soft ware is they continuously "improve" their software. I am not sure that it is always to improve or just any excuse to control, to charge. The result is as soon as you organize you gallery, knowing where things are and you know how the program is organized, they just get every thing out of your order and you have to start all over to find where your things are and how to work the soft ware all over again. The real problem is: you can't stay with the version you are happy with. You have to upgrade. You have no choice. We used to buy our DVD and stay with it. DVD hasn't been for long. time.

Dec 05, 2021 at 08:26 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny wrote:
---------------------------------------------

the problem with the soft ware is they continuously "improve" their software. I am not sure that it is always to improve or just any excuse to control, to charge. The result is as soon as you organize you gallery, knowing where things are and you know how the program is organized, they just get every thing out of your order and you have to start all over to find where your things are and how to work the soft ware all over again. The real problem is: you can't stay with the version you are happy with. You have
...Show more

No one is forcing you to upgrade to the latest version. Now you still have to keep paying your subscription dues, but you can continue running an old version of the software.

Dec 05, 2021 at 09:08 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · where is the good old Phoshop?

chez wrote:
No one is forcing you to upgrade to the latest version. Now you still have to keep paying your subscription dues, but you can continue running an old version of the software.

well you are asked to upgrade and install the new soft ware for few times. But there is a limit. After that your software is upgraded without your approval, overnight! that is.

Dec 05, 2021 at 09:28 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny wrote:
well you are asked to upgrade and install the new soft ware for few times. But there is a limit. After that your software is upgraded without your approval, overnight! that is.

I think you are wrong here. One of my installations of LR / PS is running on an older Windows 7 machine and I have not upgraded for a long time on that machine even though it asks me to on a regular basis. I highly doubt you software was upgrade without your consent,

Dec 05, 2021 at 10:01 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · where is the good old Phoshop?

Getting old ain't fun! I was born before WW2, therefore I have some real experience with getting old. Friends and relatives have lost their drivers licenses. Some can't have a meaningful conversation anymore. Like it or not, most people will suffer “cognitive changes” of some sort as they age.

I haven't used an Adobe product since the 1970s. There are plenty of companies making better software for less money. Check-out Photo Mechanic https://store.camerabits.com/ for your photo cataloging needs. Also Afinity Photo is great for editing https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ Both these programs work with either macOS or Windows.

Dec 06, 2021 at 02:47 AM
Tony Ross
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny wrote:
I used to have control of my photos in the last 40 years. No more. PS got in my computer and got it "intuitive", and I have no control of my pictures any more. How do I get my control back in my old age? I can't find my pictures in the 4 hard drives . It is so weird every thing, Please help!

Are you using Photoshop or Lightroom?

When I use Photoshop I work in the folder that I downloaded the images into. I use Bridge to browse through them, and Photoshop to work on them. It's a bit more work, but I have complete control over where they are and what I do with them.

Lightroom, on the other hand, does catalogue the images. I don't know if it moves them when it imports them.

Dec 06, 2021 at 04:47 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny wrote:

Really? Photoshop puts images where you tell it. If you lost control of your images, I can guarantee it's not Photoshop's doing. Perhaps you need a new filing system.

Dec 06, 2021 at 07:26 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · where is the good old Phoshop?

I cut my ties with Adobe years ago. My last version of Photoshop was version 7.1. I now use the free version of Lightroom from Canon and photos taken with my Canon cameras are imported directly into it via WIFI or Tether Cable. All of my shots are automatically grouped in folders by the dates that the photos were taken, so they are easy to find by using the date from my shoot documentation. I pull the folder and go from the dates on the worksheets to find where the photos are located. A 4 X 6" photo of one of the shots in the shoot is always attached to the worksheet for positive identification. Affinity is my photo editing software now, and the edited versions are added in a sub folder of the dated shoot folder.

Charley

Dec 07, 2021 at 09:37 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · where is the good old Phoshop?

CharleyL wrote:
I cut my ties with Adobe years ago. My last version of Photoshop was version 7.1. I now use the free version of Lightroom from Canon and photos taken with my Canon cameras are imported directly into it via WIFI or Tether Cable. All of my shots are automatically grouped in folders by the dates that the photos were taken, so they are easy to find by using the date from my shoot documentation. I pull the folder and go from the dates on the worksheets to find where the photos are located. A 4 X 6" photo of one
...Show more

Would that be same complete LR adobe offers, or is a smaller condensed version ?

How do you go about getting a copy from Canon, as I use a Canon camera ?

Jan 07, 2022 at 09:55 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · where is the good old Phoshop?

Here you go. You will need your camera model and serial number, so find both and have them ready before going there.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/drivers-downloads

Charley

Jan 08, 2022 at 09:22 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny wrote:
I have no control of my pictures any more. ... I can't find my pictures in the 4 hard drives .

What's the problem? Just create your own folder structure and keep your images there.

-Phil

Jan 08, 2022 at 12:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny wrote:

how do you not have control over your image? i have complete control over mine and i use a combination of ACDsee (current), DxO (current), PScc (current). none of these has changed that much that one loses control over their images. in fact they way mine is setup everything is isolated and controlled.

the only issue i have at the moment is that a new body has entered the corral and it hasn't been addressed yet by ACDsee or DxO. so i do a workaround using Bridge or NX Studio into ACR into PS which is supporting it.

i have always had my own "database" of images separate from the editors. They integrate without being proprietary in nature.

Edited on Jan 22, 2022 at 07:23 AM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2022 at 12:14 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny wrote:
How do I get my control back in my old age?

If I had a dollar.

Jan 10, 2022 at 01:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · where is the good old Phoshop?

all of us ask that question.

Edited on Jan 22, 2022 at 07:20 AM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2022 at 01:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · where is the good old Phoshop?

Not even Adobe can cure dementia.

I am still running out-dated High Sierra on my Mac, and still running out-dated Photoshop CS6. I have not paid a cent to either Apple or Adobe for years.

I can find any one of my 100-000+ images by searching by date, file number, or any one of the tags I applied to them. All that can be done using the Spotlight Search or Find File options in the OS.

Jan 10, 2022 at 02:43 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · where is the good old Phoshop?

nugeny wrote:
Where is the good old Phoshop?

Is that a noodle joint?

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:25 AM
zoetmb2

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · where is the good old Phoshop?

I really have no idea what you're talking about. I've used Photoshop since the very first version and currently use the latest. My original files are where I put them and the processed files are where I put them and they have never moved.

It's highly unlikely that your organizational issues have anything to do with Photoshop.

Besides, Photoshop itself is not a photo organization program. Lightroom is (but I don't use it).

Jan 18, 2022 at 01:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.