New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Godox Parabolic Reflectors ?

hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Godox Parabolic Reflectors ?

docusync wrote:
This looks like a great, budget-friendly alternative to the Para system. I'm curious about the deployment mechanism, which also looks nice, unlike the "rod-by-rod" mechanism from Parabolix. I'm wondering if it can keep the fabric stretched on the 150cm umbrella (P158). Broncolor went with a different, more "heavy duty" mechanism for the 177 and 222 compared to the 88 and 133.
Another concern is serviceability... I dropped my 133 once and was able to get replacement rods from Vitec/Manfrotto UK within a week. My 222 also fell once, but it didn't suffer any damage at all - the rods are part
...Show more

I have the P158 and the Godox's mechanism can certainly keep the fabric taut. As for the rods, I'm not sure if the Godox's ones are as thick as the Broncolor's. Serviceability depends very much on the vendor you bought it from. I hope Godox will change that soon.

Apr 19, 2022 at 09:08 AM
Simon Barker
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Godox Parabolic Reflectors ?

hiepphotog wrote:
I have the P158 and the Godox's mechanism can certainly keep the fabric taut. As for the rods, I'm not sure if the Godox's ones are as thick as the Broncolor's. Serviceability depends very much on the vendor you bought it from. I hope Godox will change that soon.

I've not had the chance to use one of the Godox's yet but how does the system actually lock into the taut position? It looks like it's being guided on a rail/cut out and it's just a catch holding it but I'm wondering if that'll wear over time/how secure it is?

Manfrotto (so also Lastolite, Gitzo, Broncolor etc) makes most of the individual parts for their products available, you can go back decades and (usually) still find parts for those products. It's always been a big plus when buying from them but most people only focus on the up front costs so don't even consider it.

Apr 19, 2022 at 09:43 AM
neoshazam
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Godox Parabolic Reflectors ?

hiepphotog wrote:
First written review I think: https://www.lightingrumours.com/godox-p128-review-13059

Thanks for that !

The article seems to downplay the build quality of Parabolix which I think is a strength of theirs (or at least the 40" one I have).

It makes a good point that Godox doesn't appear to currently sell the "tool kit" separately yet and should.

Apr 19, 2022 at 02:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mujabad123

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Godox Parabolic Reflectors ?

Don' t know the construction details from the Parabolix, but after watching GabrielPhotos comparison / video, the Parabolix seems closest to the Broncolor Para as far as I can see. Sometimes even a bit better, to my eye. Results that is.

Good to read your experience with the (construction) of a Parabolix reflector (40).
@neoshazam. You still consider the para (?). Why (except for ease of use)? Do you consider the Broncolor Para that much better in lighting capabilities/results?
What pros/contras to the Parabolix 40 Reflector do you encounter?

Seriously considering to order the Parabolix 45. If only import duties weren' t that high (but still cheaper to order straight from the USA). Thinking about a Parabolix 45 kit then.

Jun 18, 2022 at 01:49 PM
neoshazam
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Godox Parabolic Reflectors ?

Mujabad123 wrote:
Don' t know the construction details from the Parabolix, but after watching GabrielPhotos comparison / video, the Parabolix seems closest to the Broncolor Para as far as I can see. Sometimes even a bit better, to my eye. Results that is.

Good to read your experience with the (construction) of a Parabolix reflector (40).
@neoshazam. You still consider the para (?). Why (except for ease of use)? Do you consider the Broncolor Para that much better in lighting capabilities/results?
What pros/contras to the Parabolix 40 Reflector do you encounter?

Seriously considering to order the Parabolix 45. If only import duties weren' t that high
...Show more

I occasionally have a lighting retail therapy addiction.
The Broncolor has better set up and take down time compared to the Parabolix and I like its mid and de-focused looks better.

Benefits to the Parabolix 40" are its price, durability, and when its fully focused it has a very nice contrast look. If you work in a studio or in a manner where you don't have to set it up or take it down often its great and probably the best bet. I might've bought 5" too big due to the small amount of space in my apt but I seem to prefer 28" or 40/42" modifiers versus 34"/35" for some reason.

Jun 18, 2022 at 06:37 PM
Mujabad123

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Godox Parabolic Reflectors ?

thnxs neoshazam. Those additions can get pretty overwhelming :-) (I know from other products...lighting could become the next one).

Jun 19, 2022 at 05:19 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password