Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2021 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

dtipton

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

I currently use nikon d7500 for sports and d800 for everything else. Would like to start trying some more video but neither of my camera bodies really excel at that type of work. Most of my glass either requires a screw drive or is not compatible (auto focus) with the nikon adapter. While all reports are that they new nikon glass is good it is a little pricey so taking this as an opportunity to see what other systems offer.

Do quit a bit of hiking with my teenagers so thought the m43rds smaller size would be easier to carry, excellent IBIS means no tripod, and lots of lens to choose from (some more budget friendly).

Any advice on where to start? I would be looking on the used market.

Thanks

Nov 26, 2021 at 08:54 PM
fsi22
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

I use EM1 iii, for hiking that to me is as good as it gets. Things like built in ND , Starry AF and the ibis ( sorry, what I meant to to say and the £*#!!! Ibis ) make it my go to body.

* Using built in ND, you get up to 5 stops of shadow recovery in ND32 mode.

* I have taken 8 second handheld shots with the PL12mm f1.4

* Starry AF makes focusing on stars a breeze

* Live Composite is clever and there are some masters of that mode, Ball of light is one of them, link in brackets ( https://instagram.com/the_ball_of_light?utm_medium=copy_link )

* Weather resistance is ridiculously good on the EM1 series. My old EM5 fell in the ocean twice and still works, My EM1 cameras are always resting in puddles of water or in mud when doing water foul.

Edit - I realised that I used the EM1 2 on the 200mm + tc image. The 3 and X ibis are slightly better.

Handheld 1/13s at 280 + 1.4tc (560mm equivalent fov)

Handheld 8s at 12mm (24mm equivalent fov)

Nov 28, 2021 at 07:46 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

I have changed between MFT and Nikon back and forth a couple of times. Currently I use MFT, mostly Panasonic, and after 4 years without Nikon, I seem to be firmly settled in the MFT camp. Olympus or Panasonic is a question of what ergonomics you prefer. In addition, Olympus camera bodies are somewhat more compact while Panasonic offers more video options and mostly better video quality.

Although all MFT lenses will work on all cameras, dual IS is only offered within the same brand. That feature is offered for a small number of Olympus lenses but on all Panasonic zooms and a few primes as well. Lenses to look out for when it comes to this are the excellent Olympus/Zuiko 12-100mm f/4 and the even better Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4.

Since you are looking in the used market, I would be looking at Olympus E-M1 II or III, Panasonic G9 and Pansonic GH5. The GH5 is mainly targeted towards video, but is also an excellent stills camera, although without a hi-res mode. The G9 is currently selling for silly low prices new, if you can still find them.

Nov 28, 2021 at 09:09 AM
Blueshound
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

Ah, the quintessential dilemma of many photographers who appreciate excellent imaging quality but are only willing to carry so many bricks each day to enjoy that.

I've been using Panasonic bodies & lenses since 2010. Since 2016 or so, I've also been using Sony A7R series cameras and Sony & Zeiss lenses. Today, I have Sony A7RIV & Panasonic G9 bodies, and more than sufficient lenses.

Although the 35mm sensor sized-system is superior (mostly in matters technical, arguably less so in terms of potential for artistic creation), the comparison, in my opinion, clearly shows how much m43 can punch above its' weight. I absolutely love the G9, it's a world-class body with fantastic ergonomics and one of the finest EVFs ever. Within the realm of Panasonic lenses, you can find great IQ combined with relatively small size & weight. This is a travel holy grail that is a challenge for any FF system. (For clarity, I mostly use the 8-18, 12-35/2.8 & the 35-100/2.8.)

I can't speak to Olympus. Oly's top lenses are too large & heavy for my tastes, and since I get excellent IQ from my Panasonics, I don't care to explore Olympus. It's the lenses in aggregate that make up the daily carry, more so than the body only.

The best way that I can sum up my own position on m43 vs. FF is this: for a dedicated photo-only outing or trip (meaning no need to attention-share with family, friends), I'd take the A7RIV, the 12-24, the 24-105 & either a 50-something or 85 something. For absolutely everything else,
and recalling that my sherpa quit a few years ago, I'm hard-pressed not to pick the m43 rig.

Brian

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:20 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

Love mft. Most fun I’ve had in photography since going digital. I went with Olympus as I preferred their build quality, but both systems are great. Either will work well. Top Olympus bodies have phase detection AF which is a plus over Pany which use contrast detection. I’d think about the lens selection you want before selecting the body, as some lenses only reach their full potential (auto focus bracketing, dual IS) on the same maker’s bodies. Olympus has more pro level lenses I think. Panasonic may have better EVF in the G9 vs Omd E1 and seem to be better for video (not my line). IS on Olympus is particularly impressive. I rarely use my Canon system, I only keep it for low light sports where the bigger sensor helps. Olympus menus take some getting use to after Canon, but I suspect the same could be said for Pany. Canon menus are still easier to understand even after 3 years with Olympus though.

Nov 28, 2021 at 01:22 PM
Blueshound
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

I agree with pretty much everything that Robin said above. I haven't counted, however I think that Panasonic has more than enough lenses available with a high IQ performance that it's not an issue. I don't believe that Oly offers more options, rather different options, but the more important consideration is to pick the lenses you feel are best for your uses, and then go with the same brand of body as those lenses.

If you want to be able to shoot moving things such as sports, birds in flight, and so on, the Oly cameras with phase detect AF may be a better choice. Otherwise, Panasonic's implementation of contrast AF is deadly accurate, but struggles a bit more with subjects moving quickly.

Both manufacturers make great stuff, you have choices.

Brian

Nov 28, 2021 at 01:43 PM
BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

The strength of m43 is its ability to use different branded lenses on bodies.
So, I would ignore the idea of sticking to one brand just for a few features, unless your skills require that crutch.

I currently shoot mostly Olympus and have a mix of lenses. My primary body is the EM1.2. I considered upgrading to the EM1.3 fir the Live ND but it can look pretty bad.

A great introduction to m43 is the Panasonic GX85. Small and inexpensive. Not the best IQ - that's gonna cost you.

Nov 28, 2021 at 07:06 PM
fsi22
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

BidinTime wrote:
The strength of m43 is its ability to use different branded lenses on bodies.
So, I would ignore the idea of sticking to one brand just for a few features, unless your skills require that crutch.

I currently shoot mostly Olympus and have a mix of lenses. My primary body is the EM1.2. I considered upgrading to the EM1.3 fir the Live ND but it can look pretty bad.

A great introduction to m43 is the Panasonic GX85. Small and inexpensive. Not the best IQ - that's gonna cost you.

Live ND doesn’t have a look, it takes multiple images at 1/60 and blends them together. Has no look, it’s like using an ND filter but because it takes multiple images it reduces noise and allows massive shadow recovery ( increases dynamic range )

For anyone curious about Live ND , raw files are linked below, feel free to download and play around with them in your raw editor of choice.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApcMxWSF7amTlQf59d_VLtRcDks8

Original Live ND image

+5 ev

+5ev and linear gradient ( -2.7 ev )

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:21 AM
Woody Meristem

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

If you're looking for light and compact for hiking take a good look at the Olympus M10iv or M5iii. I'm a long-time Canon user who's switched to Olympus M10s and really like them. I had a Panasonic and sold it because the Olympus ergonomics and build quality felt better to me.

Nov 29, 2021 at 08:16 AM
dtipton

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

Thank you for the feedback.

Nov 29, 2021 at 09:38 AM
Blueshound
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

Here's an image taken at the Star Wars area in Hollywood Studios in Florida in 2019, using the G9 and the 8-18 lens. This was a single exposure at ISO 1250. After initial RAW development in LR, the next step was a trip through Topaz Denoise.

(Viewing it via the Flickr link is much better than the copy pasted here, if you can see it that way.)

This is inside a building, not outdoors in daylight, so starts to edge into what many consider a use case where m43 is weaker, i.e. higher noise relative to specific ISO setting. Because of m43's greater perceived depth of field relative to aperture, had I been using my Sony, I would have had to shoot at somewhere around f8 for a comparable perceived depth of field, which would have pushed ISO up to roughly 2000. I would still have used noise reduction for what I would accept as a clean image.

Brian

Galaxy's Edge 2 by Brian Gammon, on Flickr

Nov 30, 2021 at 01:24 PM
dtipton

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

All of the images posted so far are very good but of stationary objects. Anyone trying to do sports shooting or something with action?

Dec 02, 2021 at 09:43 AM
Sagar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

You may want to check pro wildlife photographer Peter's work. He exclusively uses Olympus and probably the best Oly wildlife Photographer on the internet. But to your point, he too has very few BiF photos in his portfolio

https://500px.com/p/sulasulacom?view=photos

https://www.sulasula.com/

dtipton wrote:
All of the images posted so far are very good but of stationary objects. Anyone trying to do sports shooting or something with action?

Dec 02, 2021 at 10:13 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

You can take sport with Oly, but when the light gets low it falls behind FF simply due to the smaller sensor, which is why I keep my Canon kit. I can't shoot at 1/1000 @f2.8 at 12800 or 20,000 and expect as good a shot as I get from my Canon. If you are shooting in daylight (kids soccer games etc) it works fine. I have shot track and field quite successfully, although it takes a bit of getting used to after a DSLR. The high fps is nice but is a little disorienting due to the EVF. You'd need a Sony A1/A9, Canon R3/R5/R6, Nikon Z9 etc to get better for that at high fps, but then you are back kind of where you started. The ultra high 60 fps fixed focus is neat if you don't need continuous focus.

Dec 02, 2021 at 10:38 AM
dtipton

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

Figure I will keep nikon and 70-200 for indoor sports (high school swim).

Dec 02, 2021 at 12:54 PM
fsi22
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

dtipton wrote:
Figure I will keep nikon and 70-200 for indoor sports (high school swim).

For flight or erratic movement, the Olympus will work but you have to work much harder for your shot. I use Pro Capture and the camera’s custom focus limiter.

The upcoming OM camera, should be a lot better, the current cameras have 1/60 readout speed and the tracking is terrible. Continous AF is more reliable but it’s only average at best, single af is fast,quick and accurate. I find it more reliable than my A1 in low contrast and under 2 metres away from subject.

Dec 02, 2021 at 01:37 PM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

"the current cameras have 1/60 readout speed"
i am not disputing this statement. I simply would like to know where you found this technical information as I am looking to find likewise technical information.
specifically, I'd like to know how many AF calculations/second the EM1X is capable (in optimal conditions) so that I am better able to choose a drive speed which does not outpace the AF system's abilities.

Dec 02, 2021 at 03:13 PM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

dtipton wrote:

this is the only Olympus m4/3 web review/article I am aware of (after continually looking for half a decade+) which includes two BIF sequences having more than a handful of images per sequence and having the bird at a decently close range. i would say this is the gold standard of helpfulness and usefulness.
https://glimpsesofnature.net/olympus-bif-settings/

Dec 02, 2021 at 03:23 PM
fsi22
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

Paul_100A wrote:
"the current cameras have 1/60 readout speed"
i am not disputing this statement. I simply would like to know where you found this technical information as I am looking to find likewise technical information.
specifically, I'd like to know how many AF calculations/second the EM1X is capable (in optimal conditions) so that I am better able to choose a drive speed which does not outpace the AF system's abilities.

It uses a Sony IMX270 sensor, which has a 60fps readout speed, the next OM camera is rumoured to have the IMX472 sensor, which is 121fps.

There’s information on current sensor in video linked below.

https://youtu.be/YXFnTBK_ryU

Dec 02, 2021 at 03:45 PM
Paul_100A
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Current nikon user switch to olympus or panasonic?

Thanks fsi22.
If the new camera has 121 fps sensor readout that makes for an awesome real time EVF (no blackout) and no rolling shutter camera. That is Sony A1 and Nikon Z9 specs speed.
Anyways...I'm looking forward to the release/information of the WOW!! camera.
If it's as good as we should be able to assume then, like OMDS stated, that is going to exacerbate their 150-400 shortage....all good.
i am still interested in knowing the AF calculation/second spec.
BTW there is a youtube fella whom really deep dived on that very vague latest OMDS teaser and he did note a few differences of that blackened out camera which indeed separate it from the EM1X and the EM1mkIII.

Dec 02, 2021 at 05:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.