New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              44       45       end

Archive 2021 · Canon R3 photo thread!

CyberDyne
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Thanks for the explanation.

- Segue side note, on a mirrorless camera like this, is there such a thing as a "single precision AF point" ? I thought those AF sensors cross type etc. were all a thing of the SLR past.

Nov 26, 2021 at 09:35 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon R3 photo thread!

CyberDyne wrote:
Thanks for the explanation.

- Segue side note, on a mirrorless camera like this, is there such a thing as a "single precision AF point" ? I thought those AF sensors cross type etc. were all a thing of the SLR past.

There are no cross type AF points, as those were part of the separate AF sensor found in DSLRs. Current mirrorless uses DPAF, which is line type only, not cross type, though much smarter than the old line type DLSR sensors on account of the processing horsepower behind them.

You can, however, tell the mirrorless camera to use a single, small area of the sensor to look for focus. Similar to a traditional DSLR. You can also do a larger point, expanded point, or area of points - again all similar to a DSLR. In these modes, it wont track the subject, but you can manually track it in servo mode like you would have on a DSLR.

In face/eye tracking mode, you can tell it to find an eye in the frame - in this mode, you won't see any focus point in the viewfinder, it will just find a face or eye and lock on and track. Or you can set it to only look for an eye under a single focus point - in this mode you'll see a box where it will look for focus, and once it finds a face or eye it will track it anywhere in the frame.

Its amazing to see it work.

Brian

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:10 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon R3 photo thread!

The R3 tracking option will allow you to pick any of the focus spots/zones and start focusing. If the camera then recognizes what it’s tracking as a human or an animal it will then find the head/face/eye and start tracking as appropriate. It’s a fairly significant change over the R5/R6 AF tracking options.

jedibrain wrote:
There are no cross type AF points, as those were part of the separate AF sensor found in DSLRs. Current mirrorless uses DPAF, which is line type only, not cross type, though much smarter than the old line type DLSR sensors on account of the processing horsepower behind them.

You can, however, tell the mirrorless camera to use a single, small area of the sensor to look for focus. Similar to a traditional DSLR. You can also do a larger point, expanded point, or area of points - again all similar to a DSLR. In these modes, it wont track
...Show more

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:43 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon R3 photo thread!

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Perfect scenario for Eye AF, I could instantly select where I wanted the focus point to be at The Blues walked down their Flightline, never had to press a button, move a focal point, I just "looked" at the point that I wanted.

Did you try this Eye AF with longer focal lengths and larger apertures? For the intended use and price, I would hope the R3 would be nailing your test above f/2.8 and larger apertures. And if there was some separation at f/2.8 between a subject near and far, how quickly would it switch back and forth between close and more distant subjects?

Anyone have a 135L they could test this technique with at f/2?

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:07 PM
octomobiki
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon R3 photo thread!

You could also just use the AF joystick instead of turning off the ECAF.

Set the focus point where you want to focus, when ready focus using AF joystick press and HOLD it. when you hit the shutter halfway for an exposure lock it will not try to relock the focus at all. I can easily use both auto-focusing systems without changing default behavior in either direction.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:55 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon R3 photo thread!

From Jared P's comparison video, it appears he was really impressed with the R3 AF and cleaner image through the EVF. Congrats, Canon friends .. looks like Canon knocked it out of the park with the R3. Hopefully this stops the unnecessary trolling by fans of a certain brand in all forums. 🥶

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:02 AM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Thanks! This worked like a charm!

octomobiki wrote:
You could also just use the AF joystick instead of turning off the ECAF.

Set the focus point where you want to focus, when ready focus using AF joystick press and HOLD it. when you hit the shutter halfway for an exposure lock it will not try to relock the focus at all. I can easily use both auto-focusing systems without changing default behavior in either direction.

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:04 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon R3 photo thread!

saaketham wrote:
Hopefully this stops the unnecessary trolling by fans of a certain brand in all forums. 🥶

If you believe that, then you must be new to the internet

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:01 AM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon R3 photo thread!

It is here

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:55 AM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon R3 photo thread!

When you put your battery in, is it completely flush with the body?

RobAmy wrote:
It is here

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:01 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Anxiously awaiting the initial impressions!! Looks like decent weather…get shooting😜

RobAmy wrote:
It is here

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:02 PM
octomobiki
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Jonesy wrote:

yes.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:14 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon R3 photo thread!

I shot about 6,000 photos of chummed gulls this morning with the R3 and RF600/4. Good light. Haven’t downloaded pictures yet. The camera seems to be a bit like the R5 but on steroids… except for the 24 megapixels.

The “no blackout” shooting doesn’t seem to be the same as I recall from having the A9 (which I sold 1.5 years ago). Where the R5 becomes a 20Hz monitor, the R3 becomes a 30Hz monitor. This wasn’t really noticeable when I was taking pictures of my 2 year old son running at me, but it was noticeable with the frame filling gulls flapping quickly. Still a significant improvement over the R5 and I don’t think that there’s really a whole lot of difference I’d see in tracking ability if the feed were 60Hz or 120Hz the whole time. I’ve not throttled the fps down from 30 yet.

Hit rate for sharp on the eye focus of the flying gulls seemed a lot better when chomping and a lot less photos with the wingtips sharp.

The 600 definitely seems to more rapidly with the R3 than it does with the R5, but I’m not 100% sure this isn’t confirmation bias. I still had several instances where the camera picked up the background and wouldn’t focus on the blurry bird right in the middle of the frame. However, the lens seemed to jump from near to far focus faster than with the R5.

Going to download some pictures now. I expect that this camera will be just about everything I’d hoped for in improvements with the R5… except it’s 24 megapixels, which isn’t necessarily all bad, especially when I’ve filled the frame with the birds.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:33 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Here's an R3 shot from a football game last night. ISO 10K, NO noise reduction. This file is down res'd for FM.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:38 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Damn… that’s pretty impressive.

Ralph Thompson wrote:
Here's an R3 shot from a football game last night. ISO 10K, NO noise reduction. This file is down res'd for FM.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:43 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Jonesy wrote:

Yes and that is the battery in the picture

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:59 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon R3 photo thread!

First couple with the R3

Bluejay R3 by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Bluejay 2 (R3) by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Nov 27, 2021 at 01:00 PM
drimer
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Ralph Thompson wrote:

Wow.

Nov 27, 2021 at 01:23 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon R3 photo thread!

The tracking ability of the R3 and RF600 with 2X teleconverter is significantly improved. No IQ issues with the RF1.4X at this point, although I’ve only shot it in good light and I felt the RF was an improvement over the 600III and 1.4iii. Presumably this is as a result of lower pixel density. The quality seems to be right where it was with the 600II and 1.4iii, which is essentially imperceptible. Very happy so far.

Nov 27, 2021 at 01:43 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon R3 photo thread!

RF 400 + 2x

Female Cardinal R3 by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Nov 27, 2021 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.