New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              44       45       end

Archive 2021 · Canon R3 photo thread!

KINGOFKNGS
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Here’s a thread to share your R3 photos. Mine is on the truck and I expect delivery in the next couple hours!

Nov 26, 2021 at 09:27 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Eye tracking AF, 100-500RF @ 500, 1/250th.....................

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:33 AM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Here's a quick shot of my son. Don't tell my wife I didn't notice the snot coming down his nose... This is with the RF85/1.2. This is straight out of the camera, switched to Camera Landscape Profile in Lightroom, and a minor exposure adjustment (+0.7) and a touch of contrast. Zoomed in, I'm seeing the great pixel level IQ that I got used to with the 1DX3 and previous 20ish megapixel full frame sensors. The camera seems more responsive than the R5, it turns on notably faster, and the eye controlled AF seems to be the real deal. I have noticed that in my 15 minutes of playing with it, if my eye isn't in pretty much the exact same location as it was when the calibration was done, it seems to be off just a bit, but the way the camera will pick a subject near the point, even if it's off a bit, this seems good enough. Obviously much more to play with. I really like it so far. I think there will still be a place for my R5 for bird photography, but this may well become the main camera and not just used for birds in flight like I anticipated. We'll see!

Full size 6,000X4,000 file is available to view on Flickr. Ryan with R3 by Ryan Sanderson, on Flickr

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:36 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Perfect scenario for Eye AF, I could instantly select where I wanted the focus point to be at The Blues walked down their Flightline, never had to press a button, move a focal point, I just "looked" at the point that I wanted.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:42 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Here are a couple family portraits. I'm a sports photographer, thought I'd practice on some birds, but they weren't flying! No games to shoot until the afternoon, so here are some family photos....

© Ralph Thompson 2021

© Ralph Thompson 2021

© Ralph Thompson 2021

© Ralph Thompson 2021

© Ralph Thompson 2021

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:54 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon R3 photo thread!

That tree in the last photo totally has a face.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:57 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Jman13 wrote:
That tree in the last photo totally has a face.

That's exactly what my wife said!

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:07 PM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Ralph Thompson wrote:
Here are a couple family portraits. I'm a sports photographer, thought I'd practice on some birds, but they weren't flying! No games to shoot until the afternoon, so here are some family photos....

Love the colors and skin tones this camera is producing.

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:28 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon R3 photo thread!

RKnecht wrote:
Love the colors and skin tones this camera is producing.

These are Jpegs too! VERY minimal processing. I showed the to the clients right off the card.... I got a funny look when I told them that I still needed to process them. I remember when I got my 1DS mk2 and saw those images and thought to myself, "wow"... Same thoughts with the R3. This was a quick pro bono family (our Daughter in-law's family) shoot. Very solid work from the camera. I'm still learning the smart controller....

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:34 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Looking good guys

Nov 26, 2021 at 02:45 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Let's see some action tracking shots at f/2.8 or larger, or a 400mm+ big white wide open at f/4.

I'd like to see some 300 2.8 or 400 2.8 wide open with tracking erratically fast approaching the camera.

Also, fast panning with long telephotos to check out if there's any rolling shutter issues.

Nov 26, 2021 at 03:30 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon R3 photo thread!

artsupreme wrote:
Let's see some action tracking shots at f/2.8 or larger, or a 400mm+ big white wide open at f/4.

I'd like to see some 300 2.8 or 400 2.8 wide open with tracking erratically fast approaching the camera.

Also, fast panning with long telephotos to check out if there's any rolling shutter issues.

I would be shocked if there were rolling shutter issues since the speed of the R3 ES scan is supposed to be equal to the speed of its mechanical shutter.

Nov 26, 2021 at 04:00 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon R3 photo thread!

artsupreme wrote:

I will try for you. Looks like I may get mine by 1:30 tomorrow. I will use my RF 400 and RF 600 with it, I am sure Ryan will have some good stuff soon.

Nov 26, 2021 at 04:02 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon R3 photo thread!

RobAmy wrote:
I will try for you. Looks like I may get mine by 1:30 tomorrow. I will use my RF 400 and RF 600 with it, I am sure Ryan will have some good stuff soon.

Perfect, I know you will push it hard and put it to the test. Try hard to get a rolling shutter effect even if not a super realistic pan based on the post above.

Nov 26, 2021 at 04:12 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon R3 photo thread!

I'll be spending some time shooting a bunch of gulls in flight on Sunday. Today has been just a few shots of songbirds in the backyard.

The RF400 and RF600 seem to drive quite a bit faster with the R3 then the R5. Nothing scientific at this point.

Nov 26, 2021 at 04:14 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Quick shots with the R3 with the 400 2.8

Nov 26, 2021 at 04:50 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon R3 photo thread!

Here are a few House Sparrow shots out the back window (window was open, not shooting through glass). Gloomy day here in Central Indiana and I didn't get to get out anywhere to shoot anything interesting. But I got to shoot with my new R3 so that was nice. ;-)

House Sparrow, Home, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana. November 26, 2021. by Ryan Sanderson, on Flickr

House Sparrow, Home, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana. November 26, 2021. by Ryan Sanderson, on Flickr

House Sparrow, Home, Indianapolis, Indiana. November 26, 2021. by Ryan Sanderson, on Flickr

Nov 26, 2021 at 04:58 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon R3 photo thread!

So how does the eye control actually function if you're locked on to a target and want to snap to a new target?
Do you let off the BBF as you're looking at the new target and hit the BBF to stay locked onto your new target? Or does it work differently then that?

Great looking images so far!

Nov 26, 2021 at 07:42 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon R3 photo thread!

If you’re locked on you have to release the shutter button to move it elsewhere

Nov 26, 2021 at 07:46 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon R3 photo thread!

If you have eye-controlled AF (ECAF from here on out) activated, the camera will track the eye the entire time it’s turned on. This is either set to on or off and is not something you have to hold a button down to keep on. Once it is over the thing you want it to focus on, you push down the shutter button or start tracking using BBF and as you hold the. Heron down, it continues to track the subject.

I have decided to use the M.fn button as a toggle on/toggle off for ECAF. There are times where I think having a single non-moving precision AF point will be more important than having it track my eye. Im thinking that a bird buried in a bush with just a head exposed might do better with a single precision point as opposed to trying to keep the ECAF on that precise point. That’s only based on my experience taking pictures of my son and a few snaps out the back window today. Things may change drastically as I get more comfortable with the ECAF.

lighthound wrote:
So how does the eye control actually function if you're locked on to a target and want to snap to a new target?
Do you let off the BBF as you're looking at the new target and hit the BBF to stay locked onto your new target? Or does it work differently then that?

Great looking images so far!

Nov 26, 2021 at 08:33 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.