New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Best photo paper for printing canvas art reproductions

MAubrey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best photo paper for printing canvas art reproductions

A family member recently passed away who was a painter. I've volunteered my camera for digitizing some of her paintings to share prints with her children.

Does anyone have suggestions for what paper looks best for printing the texture of paint strokes & canvas?

I'm probably going through Printique (unless someone has an alternative recommendation).

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:23 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best photo paper for printing canvas art reproductions

Check with Breathing Color and/or Red River Paper for some of their Canvas offerings.

Nov 22, 2021 at 01:28 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best photo paper for printing canvas art reproductions

You have a few options.

As Daniel said, you can use canvas. I would go for something with minimal texture since the photograph you capture will have the original texture and brush strokes in it already.

Because the canvas texture and brush strokes are already in the photograph, it also works to use a smooth or slightly textured natural white (not bright white) matte paper. Even something very slightly shinier like Canson Platine can work, but don't go to a semigloss or glossy paper.

But, I see you're going through an online service, so it's hard to say what they have.

I'm not sure how perfect these reproductions need to be. In the past I've done some of this kind of work, specifically making prints of paintings that the artists sell. Duplicating the colors of a painting exactly, so you can lay a section of the print over the painting and have a hard time seeing any difference, can be difficult. You need to make a camera profile in the light being used to illuminate the painting, and the system used to process and then print the resulting file needs to be very well color managed. Even then some trial and error tweaking is usually needed. Getting anything that close from an online service in one try is a one in a million shot. OTOH if the reproduction just has to look like the painting and both aren't seen together it might be alright. Just don't expect great accuracy.

Nov 22, 2021 at 03:13 PM
maddisonlake

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best photo paper for printing canvas art reproductions

Any kind of water color paper has a similar texture to canvas. I would start there, and maybe check on dick blick?

Mar 21, 2022 at 01:47 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best photo paper for printing canvas art reproductions

I have no experience with this, but I agree with another poster about avoiding adding extra texture if you're photographing something with texture, already. I avoid canvas, in general, as it's not kind to photos with lots of detail (it's great for printing large if you're specifically looking to mask a lack of detail)

I've used Breathing Color Elegance Velvet fine art paper when I've ordered from Bay Photo, it's among my favorite. It's a matte paper with a slight velvety finish and very slight texture to it. I find that the texture is extremely subtle and doesn't interfere with the details, while at the same time being discernible.

https://www.breathingcolor.com/products/elegance-velvet?variant=28441768394848

If you can't make up your mind, Bay Photo sells a swatch booklet with all of their paper options and the same sample photo printed on each to give you a great tool for comparison. I don't think it's very expensive, and I'd highly recommend you buy that if you want to make up your own mind.

https://dl.bayphoto.com/wos_assets/icon_SampleSets_Papers.png

Mar 21, 2022 at 04:41 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.