FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              11       12       end

Archive 2021 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Alan Parker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Black Friday Deals Thread

I picked up a Batis 40/2 yesterday. My first black friday casualty Couldn't help myself for 600 bucks.

Update: also bought a Flickr subscription and a camera bag for the girlfriend.

Is this a confession thread or not?

Edited on Nov 22, 2021 at 08:10 AM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2021 at 03:45 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Frogfish wrote:
$4 ball x 10 lost per round x 3 rounds per week x 50 weeks per year (two weeks resting up for anger management due to lost golf balls) = US$6,000 per annum

Lol . You gotta get really good to save that money. I lose about 2 per round on a bad day. At the club i work at almost 90 percent of the golf balls found are 49 per dozen. Ouch

I wont look in the Desert for them either. I got more Rattle snakes than i can count out there. Javelina, Bob Cats you name it . It’s a animal safari

Nov 22, 2021 at 07:02 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Black Friday Deals Thread

zz wrote:
Update: also bought a Flickr subscription...

Are there Black Friday Flickr discounts? I've hit the new limit for free flickr, but flickr pro is just a tad pricey IMO.

Nov 22, 2021 at 09:29 AM
guyharrison
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Black Friday Deals Thread

zz wrote:
I picked up a Batis 40/2 yesterday. My first black friday casualty Couldn't help myself for 600 bucks.

Update: also bought a Flickr subscription and a camera bag for the girlfriend.

Is this a confession thread or not?

Where did you find a deal like that?

Nov 22, 2021 at 09:31 AM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Black Friday Deals Thread

amacal1 wrote:
Are there Black Friday Flickr discounts? I've hit the new limit for free flickr, but flickr pro is just a tad pricey IMO.

30% off, yes.

guyharrison wrote:
Where did you find a deal like that?

They are flooding second hand shops here due to people wanting to upgrade to the 35GM or 50GM, and most second hand shops run additional savings around Black Friday.

Nov 22, 2021 at 09:34 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Patiently waiting for Adobe CC to go on sale to renew my subscription.

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:53 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Black Friday Deals Thread

gvg45 wrote:
Patiently waiting for Adobe CC to go on sale to renew my subscription.

You will wait for a long time DXO products are 50% off until the end of the month. I've never seen the new version release at 50% off. They must be hurting. Time for Adobe to buy them

I got caught by that one so I always warn people not buy anything from DXO until BF.

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:58 AM
raminolta
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Frogfish wrote:
Optical low pass filter : one with, one without. High res for landscape and APSC for birds, wildlife etc. It's definitely not easy to decide between the two if that is your only choice.

It is easy to sit behind a keyboard and repeat-type the same old 'theoretical arguments' people bring up for the resolution advantage. For practical matters A7 iv is more likely to be the winner for all its improvements: better AF, better SNR and being a faster and more responsive camera overall make it better for bird photography and for many other domains. There is no reason to crop in camera to apsc. PP cropping works and thanks to modern AF system that cover the entire frame, wherever the bird is, the camera can focus on it. Moreover, there are now exceptional software sharpening tools to use in PP and for all practical matters the extra sharpness isn't visible unless one checks images at high magnification. If the choice isn't easy for you, then do your choice according to your own wisdom. I choose my choice according to my own wisdom and encourage other people to question or reject all those theoretical yet unproven arguments such as yours.

Edited on Nov 22, 2021 at 11:30 AM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:01 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Black Friday Deals Thread

^^^
It is very easy to sit behind a keyboard and repeat-type the same old 'theoretical arguments'...

Tell us you don't understand irony without telling us you don't understand irony. ;-)

(Also: Not to be interpreted as agreement or disagreement with the content of the referenced post.)

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:05 AM
raminolta
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Black Friday Deals Thread

gdanmitchell wrote:
^^^

Tell us you don't understand irony without telling us you don't understand irony. ;-)

(Also: Not to be interpreted as agreement or disagreement with the content of the referenced post.)

I get your point and perhaps I didn't formulate my point quite the right way hence it comes across too strong. I am essentially questioning the common 'wisdom' that is based on purely theoretical arguments. I am offering a counterargument and since my argument is not currently the mainstream belief, your point doesn't quite apply to my argument. If my argument ever becomes mainstream so that many people come to believe and start repeat-typing them without direct personal experience then at that point, some people may reasonably question the validity of my arguments. Honestly, I will be with them if it ever gets to that point!!! We are not there yet and for the time being IMO, there is no irony here: one repeats the common dominant cliches while the other questions them and I don't see them being the same.

Edited on Nov 22, 2021 at 11:25 AM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:18 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Frogfish wrote:
I generally agree with those comments. I'm trying to decide between the A7r3 or A7r4 + an A74 to replace my A9 and A7rii : I shoot travel, landscapes and street (with possibly a lot more projects - portraits & themes on the streets of Shanghai, next year) the A7r4 seems to best meet that criteria so long as you are happy enough to shoot APSC for wildlife/birds. Astro more difficult - I usually use the A7rii for that at present. Decisions, decisions.

When you try to cover a lot of subjects with a single system — and most people do — the compromises can be difficult to parse. Different photographers will come to different decisions, and there is no one choice that is universally right.

If most of your photography is done handheld, as opposed to using a tripod, I think that the attraction of the very high resolution options may be diminished a great deal. This is doubly-true if you aren't typically making large, high quality prints. With the low end of today's MP resolution typically being at least in the 20MP+ range, you can assume that you'll be able to make excellent quality 20" x 30" prints if your technique is good.

On the other hand, if you are making even larger prints and you typically work from the tripod and carefully mitigate all of the factors that might diminish images sharpness, the higher MP cameras can be worth it as long as you can also get by with their typical slower operation.

To give you one example, I use a high MP full frame system for landscape photography and I do need to be able to produce large prints from the files. But I use the same camera/lenses for photographing wildlife, including birds in flight and otherwise. Now that's not an ideal setup for the latter kind of photography, but it works quite well enough to let me produce good photographs of that subject with the same system I use for landscape photography.

If my primary purpose were the wildlife photographs I might start out with a different (probably faster and lower resolution) camera body and conclude that I could still make quite good enough landscape photographs with it. After all, it wasn't that long ago that I did just that using 12MP and later 20MP camera bodies.

Good luck.

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:25 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Zenon Char wrote:
You will wait for a long time DXO products are 50% off until the end of the month. I've never seen the new version release at 50% off. They must be hurting. Time for Adobe to buy them

I got caught by that one so I always warn people not buy anything from DXO until BF.

I have seen it go on sale from time to time but only for US customers. I've never been able to get it on sale. The only very good deal I got was CS2 which Adobe gave me at ˝ price. I told them I was a student at the Prairie View School of Photography. A local place and I was taking a night course once a week but they never asked for details

Edited on Nov 22, 2021 at 03:12 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:29 AM
photosbyjaron
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Black Friday Deals Thread

mdvaden wrote:
The 300 was tempting as a replacement for my 360 streaklights w/ batteries.

I shoot mostly manual, and it became apparent that the XPLOR 300 w/ S2 bowens bracket really isn't much smaller than the $349 XPLOR 600 and the weight difference of about 2 pounds isn't particularly big. So with shooting half studio and half outside, it seemed worth going with the bigger light. The bigger 600 comes with a nice size reflector and fits every bowens modifier I've got laying around.

But I enjoyed a pair of 360 streaklights for years, and it's apparent that a pair of XPLOR 300
...Show more

That's what I've been struggling with about the 300 Pro. The real advantage seems to be how small and portable it is, but once you start using Bowens adapters and larger modifiers it starts to remove the size advantage over the 400Pro. So if I got the 300 pro, I'd want to use the dedicated direct attach modifier to eliminate extra bulk as much as possible, but then I'd be limited to the handful of modifiers that are specially made to directly mount to it. It's a conundrum that has, along with price, kept it on the wish list and not in actual possession. Still torn between the 300Pro, 400Pro and the $350 XPLOR 600.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:01 PM
ramesesthe2nd
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Black Friday Deals Thread

$1174 for 35mm GM (EDU pricing) is giving me major GAS.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:17 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Frogfish wrote:
I generally agree with those comments. I'm trying to decide between the A7r3 or A7r4 + an A74 to replace my A9 and A7rii : I shoot travel, landscapes and street (with possibly a lot more projects - portraits & themes on the streets of Shanghai, next year) the A7r4 seems to best meet that criteria so long as you are happy enough to shoot APSC for wildlife/birds. Astro more difficult - I usually use the A7rii for that at present. Decisions, decisions.

I hate to say it because it’s so darn expensive…… A1, and find something dirt cheap or keep the R2 as a backup.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:31 PM
jschulze
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Thanks for posting this! I didn't realize the edu prices were discounted. I've been wanting to switch over from the Sigma 35 1.2 to the 35 GM and this seems like the perfect time.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:41 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Black Friday Deals Thread

raminolta wrote:
It is easy to sit behind a keyboard and repeat-type the same old 'theoretical arguments' people bring up for the resolution advantage. For practical matters A7 iv is more likely to be the winner for all its improvements: better AF, better SNR and being a faster and more responsive camera overall make it better for bird photography and for many other domains. There is no reason to crop in camera to apsc. PP cropping works and thanks to modern AF system that cover the entire frame, wherever the bird is, the camera can focus on it. Moreover, there are now
...Show more
Yes it's very easy to sit behind your keyboard and trot out excuses that make no sense to any bird tog (AF will be better the larger the bird is in your VF, regardless of how many AF points you have and it makes initial acquisition much faster too). Previously it was better to crop because in APSC mode you were drastically reducing the number of MPs, not an issue with the A7r4 because that 26mp is still more than my A9).

There may be more than a hint of hypocrisy in you stating "... repeat-typing them without direct personal experience". I have to sincerely wonder if you have any in the realms of birds/landscapes.

Adding sharpness at any stage of PP adds artifacts, they may not *always* be noticeable but if the sharpness is obtained in camera then that greatly reduces the chance of introducing haloes etc. For landscapes and birds highlighted against the sky these are important considerations no matter how much you pooh pooh them.

As for landscapes : are you now going to try telling us that we no longer need high MP cameras to retain detail when increasing the size of our prints / saleable assets? I'll be interested (no actually I won't) in why you think the A74 is a better camera for landscape too, as you purport.

Edited on Nov 22, 2021 at 01:01 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:50 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Black Friday Deals Thread

gdanmitchell wrote:
When you try to cover a lot of subjects with a single system — and most people do — the compromises can be difficult to parse. Different photographers will come to different decisions, and there is no one choice that is universally right.

If most of your photography is done handheld, as opposed to using a tripod, I think that the attraction of the very high resolution options may be diminished a great deal. This is doubly-true if you aren't typically making large, high quality prints. With the low end of today's MP resolution typically being at least in the 20MP+
...Show more

Yes that's where I'm at. I sell prints though generally sales aren't of course at huge sizes but if the option is not there then no-one will buy them

Currently I'm using the A7rii for most of my landscapes and the A9 for street, travel and birds/wildlife. I'm not selling the A9 as yet but the A7r4 is a strong favourite to replace my A7rii very shortly (at least before my return trip to Tibetan Sichuan next April/May).

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:56 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Charlie N wrote:
I hate to say it because it’s so darn expensive…… A1, and find something dirt cheap or keep the R2 as a backup.

Haha yes I know ... and cry. Unless I plan on a divorce the A1 is not going to be on the horizon any time soon I'm afraid !

Nov 22, 2021 at 01:04 PM
liggy
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Frogfish wrote:
$4 ball x 10 lost per round x 3 rounds per week x 50 weeks per year (two weeks resting up for anger management due to lost golf balls) = US$6,000 per annum

Sounds like my golf - except I buy cheaper balls. I lose a Noodle just as quickly as a ProV1.

And camera related - of course no camera is perfectly suited for every use but the A1 is pretty freakin’ amazing.

PS - to keep this Black Friday related -the AD 300 is calling me. Interesting that BH is higher than Adorama.

Edited on Nov 22, 2021 at 01:53 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2021 at 01:13 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.