New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              11       12       end

Black Friday Deals Thread

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Black Friday Deals Thread

I sold everything Good and went with Wescott lighting. A lot nicer gear.

I have 3 FJ 200 in a Peak Design backpack . Like these and also the FJ80 for on camera

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1653132-REG/westcott_4773_fj200_strobe_3_light_backpack.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1610258-REG/westcott_4750_fj80_univ_touchscreen_80ws.html

Its pretty funny I went from 500 lbs of lighting gear over the years to maybe 15 lbs. Its crazier than cameras how we got so small and light

But do look into them they are very consistent and fire every time. Godox I had multiple problems with reliability and I had almost everything battery in Godox from the 600 down.

Nov 20, 2021 at 08:50 AM
ramesesthe2nd
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Black Friday Deals Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Iím 65 for God sake Iím not buying EDU. Even if I could i wont . Iím a working PRO its simply not the right thing to do. MY RULE and ill own that.

I work at a golf course that charges 369 a round but people are worried about a 4 dollar golf ball. I dont get it

They robbed me when I was young and naive and I was trying to pay for a degree to get a job. Itís my turn to rob them now.

Nov 20, 2021 at 08:52 AM
Tononono

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Iím more into landscapes, Astro, and street. Thatís where I was reading about the rolling shutter issues with this and the new A7iv. Thatís my issue, the high pixel count would be good for landscapes, but not for Astro, and the shutter would probably be a problem with street photography. Canít seem to find the perfect one.

Nov 20, 2021 at 08:54 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Here a quick shot with the Batis 135 . Main light left side and up , on my right side a FJ200 in a Beaty dish for fill. Back bottom a FJ 200 background and than hair light right side back the FJ 80 on a stand with a grid spot. Batis 135 is a razor. All my portraits need airbrushing.

ILCE-9M2    Zeiss Batis 2.8/135 lens    135mm    f/10.0    1/160s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 20, 2021 at 08:56 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Tononono wrote:
Iím more into landscapes, Astro, and street. Thatís where I was reading about the rolling shutter issues with this and the new A7iv. Thatís my issue, the high pixel count would be good for landscapes, but not for Astro, and the shutter would probably be a problem with street photography. Canít seem to find the perfect one.

No camera is perfect for anything. And no one camera is even close to perfect for all things. You'll never find a camera that is "perfect" for landscape, astro, and street.

All gear choices are compromises. To get one camera to do all of these things will necessarily entail some compromises. You are unlikely to find a high MP system that is ideal for fast action, and a small camera with small lenses that might be ideal for street isn't going to be ideal for landscapes or, say bird photography.

So you either weigh the trade-offs and pick the system with the compromises that work the best for you, or else you get more than one system so that you can tailor them to the photography you do. (I use a high MP FF system for tripod-based work and a smaller APS-C system for handheld stuff like street.)

Dan

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:03 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Oh, man, those Godox/Flashpoint deals are pretty great, and I'm fighting the GAS.

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:31 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Black Friday Deals Thread

If your going for Godox than buy the Flaspoint units from Adorama as they support them. No one supports Godox itself. So far better to buy the Flashpoint units. Adorama is a good shop. Buying from Amazon there are no real in country (USA) support. They are made in China so support here really donít exist. At least when I had the whole system I never seen support . Why I went Flashpoint as Adorama supports them. No difference but name only

Nov 21, 2021 at 01:03 PM
wittyphrase
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Black Friday Deals Thread

amacal1 wrote:
Oh, man, those Godox/Flashpoint deals are pretty great, and I'm fighting the GAS.

The Xplor 300 Pro at $339 is kind of great. I have one and the unit is incredibly compact and usually more than enough power. Iím tempted by the price, but donít really need a 6th light. Iíve occasionally just used the modeling light on it for portraits at wide(er) apertures.

Only real knock against it is the build quality. I donít worry about it spontaneously combusting, but I do worry about it holding up to real falls.

ILCE-7M3    50mm    f/1.8    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 21, 2021 at 03:17 PM
photosbyjaron
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Black Friday Deals Thread

wittyphrase wrote:
The Xplor 300 Pro at $339 is kind of great. I have one and the unit is incredibly compact and usually more than enough power. Iím tempted by the price, but donít really need a 6th light. Iíve occasionally just used the modeling light on it for portraits at wide(er) apertures.

Only real knock against it is the build quality. I donít worry about it spontaneously combusting, but I do worry about it holding up to real falls.

Iíve had the Xplor 300 pro on my Amazon wish list since release. All I have currently is a pair of V860IIS. This current sale is making it really hard to resist. What modifier do you use with your 300 Pro? Iíve been considering the EZ lock designed to mount directly to it.

Nov 21, 2021 at 03:37 PM
wittyphrase
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Black Friday Deals Thread

I use it with the S bracket that adapts it to the Bowens mount. So I use it in any number of modifiers. In the image above itís in a 60Ē octabox.

photosbyjaron wrote:
Iíve had the Xplor 300 pro on my Amazon wish list since release. All I have currently is a pair of V860IIS. This current sale is making it really hard to resist. What modifier do you use with your 300 Pro? Iíve been considering the EZ lock designed to mount directly to it.

Nov 21, 2021 at 04:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

raminolta
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Tononono wrote:
Is it worth getting the A7r iv or wait for the a7 iv. I know the A7r is a more difficult camera because of the mp and certain lenses not being as great with it, but they are about the same price.

It seems to me that compared to A7 iv, the only noteworthy 'advantage' of A7r iv is the extra resolution and IMO, very few people need and can benefit from that. For most people and their needs, A7 iv is a better camera due to its numerous improvements. This is true even for landscape photography.

Now when Sony releases A7r v next year, that can be a different story and a better camera than A7 iv. We will see....

Nov 21, 2021 at 09:53 PM
raminolta
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Tononono wrote:

I suggest stop believing the cliches you are told. You don't need 60mp to do landscape photography unless you have a 44" wide format printer or, you want to zoom 200% into your photo when you are watching it. Otherwise, a 33mp is more than good for the task.

On my 4k monitor, I cannot say the difference between a raw file and a 4k jpg (8mp) I make out of it when both are viewed at normal viewing distances (about 20" or 50cm). I have a 24" wide format printer and if I want to print a full size image say at 24" x 36" (60cm x 90cm), the files I get from my A7r iii are plenty good enough even though I most often do some cropping. I may occasionally use the Topaz software like gigapixel, sharpen or de-noise to increase the perceived resolution or the sharpness. I know they can make a difference and improve the image but I am not sure their benefit is in adding more detail to the image. Sometimes, they just clean of the image which make it look neat and better suited when viewed or printed at high magnification. Nowadays, even Photoshop has a resolution enhancer if one needs it.

Edited on Nov 22, 2021 at 11:04 AM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:09 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Black Friday Deals Thread

wittyphrase wrote:

Can you tell me about the modeling light on the Xplor 300? That's probably as much power as I need for what I do, but I'm concerned about the modeling light. I've read that the modeling light on the AD200 isn't terribly useful, as it isn't terribly bright and you can't adjust the level. I believe from what I've read that the AD400 and 600, the modeling light is brighter and can be dialed up or down. I haven't heard much about the 300, though.

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:26 PM
wittyphrase
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Black Friday Deals Thread

I had a few 200s and sold them. For an entry level device it was too complicated to make work the way I wanted it to.

In contrast the 300 is much more straight forward to use. The modeling light is something like 15W I think. In practical terms if you want to actually light a shot with it itís not enough to do anything for me at f8-f16 where I do many studio portraits. But it does work very nicely for those done at large apertures where even the lowest power setting as a strobe can be too much. The power of the modeling light can be adjusted like the 400 Pro or it can be set to be proportional to the strobe power setting. The modeling light can also have the color temperature adjusted, which I donít think the 400 or 600 can do. Never tried on mine.

It could work for video in a pinch, but I doubt itís practical for that purpose. Between the relatively small battery and the fan that will eventually kick inÖnot super video friendly. Donít know if there was anything else you wanted to know.

amacal1 wrote:
Can you tell me about the modeling light on the Xplor 300? That's probably as much power as I need for what I do, but I'm concerned about the modeling light. I've read that the modeling light on the AD200 isn't terribly useful, as it isn't terribly bright and you can't adjust the level. I believe from what I've read that the AD400 and 600, the modeling light is brighter and can be dialed up or down. I haven't heard much about the 300, though.

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:56 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Black Friday Deals Thread

wittyphrase wrote:
The power of the modeling light can be adjusted like the 400 Pro or it can be set to be proportional to the strobe power setting.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. The ability for proportional modeling light is what I'm interested in most. Thank you.

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:20 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Black Friday Deals Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Iím 65 for God sake Iím not buying EDU. Even if I could i wont . Iím a working PRO its simply not the right thing to do. MY RULE and ill own that.

I work at a golf course that charges 369 a round but people are worried about a 4 dollar golf ball. I dont get it

$4 ball x 10 lost per round x 3 rounds per week x 50 weeks per year (two weeks resting up for anger management due to lost golf balls) = US$6,000 per annum

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:58 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Black Friday Deals Thread

gdanmitchell wrote:
No camera is perfect for anything. And no one camera is even close to perfect for all things. You'll never find a camera that is "perfect" for landscape, astro, and street.

All gear choices are compromises. To get one camera to do all of these things will necessarily entail some compromises. You are unlikely to find a high MP system that is ideal for fast action, and a small camera with small lenses that might be ideal for street isn't going to be ideal for landscapes or, say bird photography.

So you either weigh the trade-offs and pick the system with
...Show more

I generally agree with those comments. I'm trying to decide between the A7r3 or A7r4 + an A74 to replace my A9 and A7rii : I shoot travel, landscapes and street (with possibly a lot more projects - portraits & themes on the streets of Shanghai, next year) the A7r4 seems to best meet that criteria so long as you are happy enough to shoot APSC for wildlife/birds. Astro more difficult - I usually use the A7rii for that at present. Decisions, decisions.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:34 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Black Friday Deals Thread

raminolta wrote:
It seems to me that compared to A7 iv, the only noteworthy 'advantage' of A7r iv is the extra resolution and IMO, very few people need and can benefit from that. For most people and their needs, A7 iv is a better camera due to its numerous improvements. This is true even for landscape photography.

Now when Sony releases A7r v next year, that can be a different story and a better camera than A7 iv. We will see....

Optical low pass filter : one with, one without. High res for landscape and APSC for birds, wildlife etc. It's definitely not easy to decide between the two if that is your only choice.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:39 AM
photosbyjaron
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Black Friday Deals Thread

Frogfish wrote:
Optical low pass filter : one with, one without. High res for landscape and APSC for birds, wildlife etc. It's definitely not easy to decide between the two if that is your only choice.

Agreed. There are pros and cons to each. A7RIV has higher MP in crop mode, but A7IV has bird eye AF. A7RIVa has higher resolution LCD and EVF, but A7IV has larger buffer and can shoot in lossless compressed RAW. But A7RIV has a higher FPS in uncompressed RAW than the A7IV, even though the A7IV has the newer Bionz XR processor.

The A7IV is undoubtedly the better camera for video. It likely also will perform better for astro shots with better handling of high iso noise.

But as for landscapes, while some may prefer using gigapixel or other software solutions to increase resolution, having owned the D810 with its 36MP, then the Z7 with its 45MP, and now the RIV's with its 61MP sensor, I personally don't think I could go back to a 30-something MP sensor. I personally love the leeway in cropping an image and still being able to stand a few inches away from our 24x36 and 24x48 acrylic prints and marvel at the detail. With all due respect to those that don't think resolution matters with respect to landscape photography, if resolution didn't matter, the Fujifilm GFX100S would be far less popular among landscape photographers than it appears to be. If you're printing at 48" or more, which we do, resolution definitely matters. If the only medium on which the images will be seen is on a computer screen or tablet/smartphone, then a 24MP crop sensor camera is more than good enough.

Nov 22, 2021 at 01:07 AM
mdvaden
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Black Friday Deals Thread

wittyphrase wrote:
I use it with the S bracket that adapts it to the Bowens mount. So I use it in any number of modifiers. In the image above itís in a 60Ē octabox.

The 300 was tempting as a replacement for my 360 streaklights w/ batteries.

I shoot mostly manual, and it became apparent that the XPLOR 300 w/ S2 bowens bracket really isn't much smaller than the $349 XPLOR 600 and the weight difference of about 2 pounds isn't particularly big. So with shooting half studio and half outside, it seemed worth going with the bigger light. The bigger 600 comes with a nice size reflector and fits every bowens modifier I've got laying around.

But I enjoyed a pair of 360 streaklights for years, and it's apparent that a pair of XPLOR 300 would be a fine combo. Especially at $339 per unit. I may be watching next year's deals for those and may still end up with a pair someday.

Nov 22, 2021 at 01:10 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password