FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

big_fish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

I recently made the switch from a 5DmkIV to a new R5 and I've been quite impressed - and figured I'd share a few photos and thoughts. I don't know what to directly attribute my perceived improvements to, but I do find photos from the R5 and 100mm f/2.8L to be noticeably sharper than those from the 5DmkIV and same lens - though I imagine the lack of needing micro focus adjustments may play some role. Though not included in the below photos, I've tried the R5's automated focus stacking feature quite a few times and although it is impressive and seems to work very well - the feature requires autofocus to be enabled. Alternatively, the high frame rate of the R5 paired with the traditional drunken sailer focus sway has worked just as well.

Here's a small sample of R5 photos captured with the EF 100mm f/2.8L.

Long-toed Salamander by Neil Fisher, on Flickr

Cross Orbweaver by Neil Fisher, on Flickr

Oak Bush-Cricket by Neil Fisher, on Flickr

Coastal Tailed Frog by Neil Fisher, on Flickr

Nov 09, 2021 at 07:46 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

Lovely series.

Brian V.

Nov 10, 2021 at 12:53 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

I suspect that you will find the difference between the two bodies less well-marked in down-sized images.

Anyway, looking good.

Harold

Nov 11, 2021 at 02:59 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

Really nice set!

If Canon makes a crop factor mirrorless, or an RF version of the MP-E 65mm, then I will make the switch.

Nov 12, 2021 at 06:15 AM
Sonixundying

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

These are great!

Nov 27, 2021 at 08:23 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

Love the salamander.

Dalantech wrote:
If Canon makes ... an RF version of the MP-E 65mm, then I will make the switch.

An RF version would be nice, but is highly unlikely IMO. Instead, you could always use an adapter. I just bought an RF 100mm and the AF is in most cases as good as manual focus. The new lens avoids the battery drain that I experienced when I used the old 100mm macro on my R5.

-Phil

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:58 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

PhilPDX wrote:
An RF version would be nice, but is highly unlikely IMO. Instead, you could always use an adapter. I just bought an RF 100mm and the AF is in most cases as good as manual focus. The new lens avoids the battery drain that I experienced when I used the old 100mm macro on my R5.

-Phil

At the risk of hijacking this thread...

The MP-E 65mm is a manual focus only lens, so AF performance is a non issue. The MP-E is the only current Canon macro lens that has not had a refresh and the design is really old. It is my understanding that Canon is not making any more EF glass, preferring to spend their R&D money on the RF mount. So I would hope that Canon would want to maintain their lead in macro glass and come out with an RF version of the MP-E. It is possible that an RF version could be lighter, and any weight reduction would be welcome for those of us that shoot hand held.

Regards,
John

Nov 28, 2021 at 07:32 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

I know that it is a manual lens; I own it myself. What I meant is that I don't understand why a manual lens is holding you back to go mirrorless when the adapter is available.

-Phil

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:59 AM
Mycarsdead

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

Fantastic detail and texture in the salamander's skin.

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:16 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

PhilPDX wrote:
I know that it is a manual lens; I own it myself. What I meant is that I don't understand why a manual lens is holding you back to go mirrorless when the adapter is available.

-Phil

Oh, OK.

I normally do not crop in post, and a crop factor sensor allows me to fill the frame with the subject at lower mags than shooting full frame. Shooting at a lower mag gives me more depth of field, so for macro there is an advantage to using a crop factor camera if you shoot single frames. Kinda nice to be able to take advantage of the built in crop.

If I used the R5 and cropped down to a 1.6x crop I would have a little over 17MP. More than enough for a poster size print, only need 12MP for that, but with not much more room to crop before the MP count gets too low for me. With a 24MP APS-C sensor I can toss out 12MP before I run into any issues with not having enough pixels.

If I was only shooting for the web, or Instagram, then the MP count is pretty much irrelevant. This coming year I plan on shooting at even lower mags than normal and crop in post to get the subject framing that I want. I still plan to do all of my composition with the view finder cause I want to continue to hone my composition skills, something that the cropping tool in post will not do.

Dec 22, 2021 at 05:18 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

Dalantech wrote:
Shooting at a lower mag gives me more depth of field, so for macro there is an advantage to using a crop factor camera if you shoot single frames. Kinda nice to be able to take advantage of the built in crop.

It's good for stereo depth too.

Harold

Dec 22, 2021 at 05:58 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

Dalantech wrote:
... crop in post to get the subject framing that I want. I still plan to do all of my composition with the view finder cause I want to continue to hone my composition skills,

I mostly work with the RF 100mm now. The lens IS in combination with the camera's IBIS makes it possible to shoot handheld without flash much more often than before, and the R5's flip LCD screen allows me to get to ground level easily and do the framing right away. Some big advantages over my old 5Ds.

-Phil

Dec 23, 2021 at 03:56 PM
mikeengles
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

A word of caution for anyone using manual lenses with the R5.
You do not get a focussing box and the focussing aid does not work. Peaking works but is hard to see if you are stopped down. IBIS works, but it is really difficult to work out what effect it has.
You can use the zoom, but then any guide grids and peaking go.Not a problem for old (steady) hands here.
I have dug out my Olympus 65-115 variable extension tube as well as my macro lenses.
I am using a RF to OM adaptor, so no link at all between camera and lens.
I also have a EF OM adaptor that has a chip, than can be used with a RF-EF adaptor. I need to see what that does.In the end it might not be worth the bother
I do have the Canon IS macro, but it seems a bit soft with the R5.

Dec 29, 2021 at 08:00 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

mikeengles wrote:
Peaking works but is hard to see if you are stopped down.

That sounds like the screen is not set for constant brightness (not showing the effect of stopping down).

I have taken a look at the manual and this can be done for the LCD screen but I couldn't find it for the viewfinder.

I use this frequently on my Olympus EM-1 for high magnification macro.

Harold

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:13 PM
mikeengles
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

Actually I never use the screen, just the EVF, that does show stop down. Peaking seems to be about edge detection, so if you are stopped down, then you have DOF, so really no sharply defined edge. It is not practical to hand hold, focus then stop down, so permanent stop down focus it has to be, like in the very old days.

Dec 29, 2021 at 02:37 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

mikeengles wrote:
Actually I never use the screen, just the EVF, that does show stop down. Peaking seems to be about edge detection, so if you are stopped down, then you have DOF, so really no sharply defined edge. It is not practical to hand hold, focus then stop down, so permanent stop down focus it has to be, like in the very old days.

I'm talking about "permanent stop down". Peaking is about the principal plane of focus not DOF.

Harold

Dec 29, 2021 at 04:08 PM
mikeengles
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

As far as I know peaking on the R5 is an edge effect.When in focus all sharp edges are highlighted, sort of posterised effect. If stopped down there is less light, so the effect is harder to see. I have hardly seen the effect, so really do not know. You can change the effect colour,red,blue and yellow.
The only way I can use my old OM lenses is by using a fixed stop down.
The EVF does not have a fixed brightness, but depends on the exposure. I can set it for fixed brightness .I will try that, but then I will not be able to see the correct exposure.

Dec 29, 2021 at 06:04 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

mikeengles wrote:
A word of caution for anyone using manual lenses with the R5.
You do not get a focussing box and the focussing aid does not work. Peaking works but is hard to see if .

That one is true with the MP-E 65mm and any camera body that you attach it to. I just look for textures in the areas that I want to be in focus.

Red Beetle by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Dec 29, 2021 at 07:36 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Macro Mirrorless Migration

mikeengles wrote:
As far as I know peaking on the R5 is an edge effect.When in focus all sharp edges are highlighted, sort of posterised effect. If stopped down there is less light, so the effect is harder to see. I have hardly seen the effect, so really do not know. You can change the effect colour,red,blue and yellow.
The only way I can use my old OM lenses is by using a fixed stop down.
The EVF does not have a fixed brightness, but depends on the exposure. I can set it for fixed brightness .I will try that, but then I
...Show more

In normal photography, I find that peaking tends to illuminate whole brick walls, groups of trees, etc, I can't see how all those are sharp edges. I find white is as good as any.

I have never used the brightness of the image on the screen to adjust exposure. I use spot metering. The aperture is chosen for DOF and the ISO to determine the shutter speed.

Harold

Dec 30, 2021 at 07:34 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.