1       2       3              9      
       end

Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

1bwana1
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

bernardl wrote:
I understand it is not what was requested, but I don't think it's push an hold. It's a push to switch to a given focus mode.

The D6 had a push and hold but that's not available on the Z9.

Cheers,
Bernard

I think there is some confusion. The request was for a '"Toggle" button.

In Brad's post of Dec 2 he discusses a "toggle" button approach work around using "Recall Shooting Functions" that is is only temporary while the button is held down.

In his post of Dec 3 he discusses a different method using "Banks" which is a button and scroll solution.

Neither of these is what the OP wants, which is a "toggle" solution as implemented by Arbitrage on his a1.

Dec 06, 2021 at 10:19 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

1bwana1 wrote:
I think there is some confusion. The request was for a '"Toggle" button.

In Brad's post of Dec 2 he discusses a "toggle" button approach work around using "Recall Shooting Functions" that is is only temporary while the button is held down.

In his post of Dec 3 he discusses a different method using "Banks" which is a button and scroll solution.

Neither of these is what the OP wants, which is a "toggle" solution as implemented by Arbitrage on his a1.

Unfortunately, you're adding to the confusion. The bskite (not the OP, who is Fred) did not say he wanted it to act like a toggle. He just was asking how it worked and if he could change the focus settings with his right hand only (i.e. keeping his left hand on long lens). The answer to that question is yes. He has to push a programmed function button and use the wheel to scroll to his selection. At least that is how we understand it from the previews on a pre-production model.

Dec 06, 2021 at 10:44 AM
1bwana1
• • • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

gdsf2 wrote:
Unfortunately, you're adding to the confusion. The bskite (not the OP, who is Fred) did not say he wanted it to act like a toggle. He just was asking how it worked and if he could change the focus settings with his right hand only (i.e. keeping his left hand on long lens). The answer to that question is yes. He has to push a programmed function button and use the wheel to scroll to his selection. At least that is how we understand it from the previews on a pre-production model.

I was referring to bskite as the OP of this subject, yes.

Actually what he said was that he understood that it "must be done with the fingers of the right hand" to push and scroll on the Z9 rather than a "toggle" like on the Sony Cameras. It was said it two consecutive posts if you want to go back and read them.

The important thing is that with the Z9 you will be able to quickly change that function while holding you eye to the viewfinder.

Dec 06, 2021 at 10:58 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

1bwana1 wrote:
I was referring to bskite as the OP of this subject, yes.

Actually what he said was that he understood that it "must be done with the fingers of the right hand" to push and scroll on the Z9 rather than a "toggle" like on the Sony Cameras. It was said it two consecutive posts if you want to go back and read them.

The important thing is that with the Z9 you will be able to quickly change that function while holding you eye to the viewfinder.

Actually, what he wrote, was "I guess, with the Zeds, one must lower the camera/lens and then go to the appropriate menu location for the AF mode list. I think that will be ok. That's not so bad. But with Sony, can you keep the camera up (so you are looking through the EVF) and just toggle a few switches?"

And then it was explained to him you could do the same with the Nikon by programming a button and using the scroll wheel, all with the right hand. You do not need to take your eye away from the viewfinder or move your left hand off the lens.

So, I think you are reading it wrong. He never expressed a preference for moving through the choices by pushing a single button multiple times. His use of "toggle a few switches" is not the same as arbitrages use of the word "toggle" by pushing one button multiple times. He just wanted to be able to change AF using his right hand and not taking his eye away from the viewfinder. The Z9 will allow him to do that easily.

Anyway...that is how I read it.

Dec 06, 2021 at 11:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

1bwana1
• • • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

Yes, we read it differently. In either case, I think has a fairly good answer to his question.

Dec 06, 2021 at 11:30 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

1bwana1 wrote:
Yes, we read it differently. In either case, I think has a fairly good answer to his question.

Yes he does, now.

Dec 06, 2021 at 12:13 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

So far what we know:

On the Z9 you will have these different ways to quickly switch to a different AF mode than what you currently have set as your main mode:
1) Use the traditional left front button we've had on higher end Nikon DSLRs

2) Program a button to do the same as the left front button (this is unique to Z cameras and some low-end Nikon DSLRs)
Note: 1 &2 will bring up a list of AF modes which you will scroll through. This list can be restricted to only AF modes you like using to make scrolling/selecting faster. You can do this via EVF or LCD.

3) Program a button to AF-Area Mode (or AF-ON + Area Mode). This feature brings up a pre-programmed AF area mode while you hold in the button

4) Program a button to Recall Custom Functions. This is a list of different settings which can include a different AF mode. On the Z9 this only works while holding in the button. On the D6 there is an alternative explained in Brad Hill's recent post called Recall Custom Function Hold which acts like a toggle where you don't have to hold in the button...hit it once, toggle into your Recall set, toggle again, back to your regular set

5) As explained in Brad Hill's Dec 3rd blog post you can also make use of (Extended) Shooting Banks which can be accessed by programming a button to push and then scroll through your registered banks.

Lots of options here. Thankfully for long lens shooters we don't have to use #1 to change our main AF mode which I hated on Nikon DSLRs. There are a number of available buttons to program that can be accessed with the right hand (Fn1, Fn2, Fn3, AF-ON, Joystick push) and you can program the lens button(s) to do these functions also. I think I read that the some (all?) of the buttons below the LCD can also be re-programmed but I haven't looked into that. They may be accessible with one's right hand while handholding a big lens.

Dec 06, 2021 at 12:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password